Options

Black Tank Flush Leak

MNtabernacleMNtabernacle Member Posts: 19
Just in case anyone else sees this problem, we were seeing leakage on the underside of our 400 during black tank flushing, plus a strong tank smell in the bathroom at all times. Due to some great detective work by our dealer (Elk River RV - Thanks guys!) they found a broken flush check valve (allowing flush water and gas out) and were able to replace it by removing the outside shower and reaching in.
That said - we're always reminded to keep the fresh water pressure under 50 psi - should this apply to the flush as well? It isn't marked as such but I can imagine it could damage the flush system.
Thoughts anyone??
Tim & Joan, Anoka Minnesota
Silver on Silver 2018 T@B 400, 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I do use the black tank flush every opportunity I get. I was wondering about the pressure last weekend when I flushed the tank (I’m in a full services RV Park near where I have spent most of my summer).

I think that I will put a pressure regulator on my black hose (it really is black) to keep the pressure down within acceptable limits. I don’t feel I can trust my own definition of how many turns of the faucet it takes to stay below 50 lbs, so I’ll let a known pressure relief valve keep me within the limit of 50 lbs psi, even though there is nothing indicating that I must keep the pressure within those limits.

I think it makes sense to keep all incoming water pressure at or  below 50 psi. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    MNtabernacleMNtabernacle Member Posts: 19
    Verna, when you are at a spot with full hookups, and want to do a black tank flush, the flush hose needs to hook up to the potable water supply. Do you feel there is a chance of contaminating that spigot with your flush hose?
    Tim & Joan, Anoka Minnesota
    Silver on Silver 2018 T@B 400, 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab
  • Options
    @MNtabernacle, no, I do not feel there is a chance of contamination. I do use a dedicated hose, and I use a “y” at the campground faucet. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    Some owners spray a spigot with bleach before connecting just to ward off evil spirits.  Not a bad practice.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Those of us who are allergic to bleach can always use vinegar in its place. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    The faucet is the same, black tank or fresh water connection. I always wonder what the last camper did?

Most of us use a separate hose, but do we consider yuk transfer to the faucet, the pressure regulator, the "y" and so on?

My guess is there is a lot of yuk spread around the hookup side and on the faucet at every CG.

If one end of black house is yucky, what prevents the "clean" end and associated things it touches from being yucky?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Bah...im a backpacker...everything is just “flavor crystals!” Lol
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    I’m a retired nurse. That which does not kill us only makes us stronger. If I really wanted to worry, I’d never wear slacks/jeans and use a public restroom-ewwww, can’t keep the pants legs off the floor, ewww. 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @jgram2 no such thing as the 5" rule in a medical lab, it touches the floor, it is trash!
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Oops, @N7SHG_Ham. While at work, believe me, I employed all appropriate precautions for my patients and myself. While at play, let’s just say I’m a bit more casual-careful not to contaminate things others use as much as possible but for myself, my tolerance for risk is fairly high. Do I like lying on the ground at the dump site to reach the black tank valve under the Outback platform? Nope, but if I allow myself to really think about what gets on my person, I probably wouldn’t be camping.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Just in case anyone else sees this problem, we were seeing leakage on the underside of our 400 during black tank flushing, plus a strong tank smell in the bathroom at all times. Due to some great detective work by our dealer (Elk River RV - Thanks guys!) they found a broken flush check valve (allowing flush water and gas out) and were able to replace it by removing the outside shower and reaching in.
    That said - we're always reminded to keep the fresh water pressure under 50 psi - should this apply to the flush as well? It isn't marked as such but I can imagine it could damage the flush system.
    Thoughts anyone??
    Is the flush valve you are referring to hooked to the actual nozzle spray assembly in the black tank?  I guess I thought that the inner nozzle assembly just allowed the water pressure applied to power wash the interior of the black tank?  

As for the yuck stuff, this is why I use the disposable gloves for this task.  I’ve seen people performing the task bare handed and slopping things around in the process.  No different than the guys I see in Sams Club who use the facilities and then head out to the food sample tables without washing their hands.  Nuff said!  😂
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 612
    Given that the flush circuit is open to the black water tank and vented, you can't build 50 psi pressure in that line, even if the pressure at the spigot was well over 50 psi.  There is significant pressure drop just across the spigot valve, with the down stream side being close to atmospheric pressure.  Thus, I wouldn't worry about putting a pressure regulator on when flushing the black water tank.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    lpantherslpanthers Member Posts: 32
    I have the same leakage problem with my black tank flush system.  There is leakage under our 2020 Tab 400 BDL when I flush/rinse the black tank.  Is this an easy do it yourself fix or do I need to take it to a dealer for repair?
    Thanks for any replies.

Lee S
    Pisgah Forest, NC
    2020 Tab 400 BDL
    2014 Toyota Tundra Crew Cab 5.7L

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    The the black tank flush check valve keeps Yuk from the tank from getting in the flush hose, let alone getting back up the hose against the lube pressure to the faucet.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    edited July 2020
    @Ipanthers - I would email Austin in repairs@nucamprv.com and explain your problem.  You can remove the outside shower yourself - lots of pictures on the forum.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio