Options

Glycol Too High?

We are still prepping the 400 after taking delivery and I’m checking out systems at home.  Getting ready to fire up the Alde hot water heater, and I’ve noticed the glycol level in the tank is about 1 inch ABOVE the MAX line while cold.  The instructions say it should be 0.5 inch above MIN.  Do I drain some out of the system, and if so, how?

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    It will likely drain itself out through the tank overflow as you bump down the road. I can't see where the overfilled tank would cause any problems with the Alde itself, though you may get a little puddle of glycol where you didn't expect it.
    If it makes you feel better, you could probably draw a bit out with a turkey baster or large syringe. That would be much less awkward than trying to actually drain something from below.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    DanManzDanManz Member Posts: 80
    I too would leave it alone until you run the Alde for a while.  Ours came slightly overfilled and after we used it a few times it settled down to just around the min line.  Not sure if it drained out or just got a few bubbles out of the circulating system but it wasn't a problem.
    Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    I’ve decided to use a turkey baster to draw it down to the specified level, but I’ve reserved what I pulled out just in case it needs to go back in @DanManz.
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Ours came with it over the max too...since we're driveway camping we decided to leave the cover off the front where the glycol tank is...nice and toasty in the shoilet!..while keeping an eye on the tank!
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Once the Alde is turned on and the recirculating pump comes in, the level will drop, the auto bleed valve will remove any air in the system, and the level,should settle down to the middle, between the marks.  We had our Alde serviced and glycol replaced, and the level started out between max and mid point.  After running it, it came down a bit.  As long as you are not over the max line, it should be fine.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @TNOutback Good choice. At least on our T@B it was way overfull, we had no idea, and there was a 5" overflow tube that just went up and attached to the cabinet. So we ended with Glycol all over the back corner to clean up after our first cold camp.  Once we dropped it down to the line, no further problems. I guess many folks at the mfg line, or the dealership assume a certain amount of air in the lines, and overfill.  Which is fine, except for those with no air in their lines and a really exuberant overfiller.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max