Options

Best Time For Yellowstone?

RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
edited April 2014 in Camping & Travel
OK, so I've been seriously considering my first trip ever to Yellowstone this summer.  I had planned to go in early May to perhaps avoid some of the heavy traffic, but after doing some online research, I find that some of the roads do not even open until late May.  Seems that below freezing temperatures are also common at that time of year.  For those who have been, I would appreciate your advice on when is the best time of year to go, and maybe some definite things to avoid.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    geromogeromo Member Posts: 33
    we were there in 2012 (july) so much to see--going back this august to see all we missed. The camping sites are crowed and very tight for max occupancy and  most do not take reservations We camped in West Yellowstone --several great campgrounds there and not as crowed. We will be coming down from Glacier,then Yellowstone, Grand Teton NP,Salt Lake City, Rocky Mountain NP then back home to NC.We live about 5 miles from Racoon Hallow campground where the spring event will be held.  ENJOY!!!!!
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    We have plans to visit Yellowstone, Tetons, and Idaho the 1st 3 weeks of June. We started planning last summer and that led to the purchase of the T@B. We have reservations in Yellowstone and Tetons. Waiting to finish the Idaho planning til May. We are traveling from N.Alabama, so it will be a long journey. Have not begun to plan the trip back from Idaho to home. 
    We welcome any suggestions. 
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    edited April 2014
    We were there in 2010, May 11th & 12th. We came in from the north with plans to see as much of the park as we could on our way south to Grand Tetons National Park. We too had just come down from Glacier National Park. Much of the park was inaccessible including the road heading south to Grand Tetons NP. We had to leave at the west entrance and head back through Pocatello and didn't get to see Grand Tetons NP (We already have reservations there for our return leg from the Western Rally this summer). In any case, we actually had a bit of a snow flurry while we were there. We also almost had the place to ourselves. Here's our account of it .....

I was also there in 1976 over the Memorial Day weekend on a motorcycle trip. Stayed in the Yellowstone Hotel and woke up the morning of June 1st., looked out the window and couldn't see my Goldwing. It was buried in a snow drift from the 10 inches of snow they got that night. Guess what I'm saying, is that anything can happen weather-wise at Yellowstone :D
  • Options

I appreciate all the comments and advice.  Looks like the best time to go is whenever you get the chance. :D

Will probably opt for last of May or first of June for first trip.  I can always pick another time for the next one.  I did pick up a can of bear spray when I was at Camping World today.  One of the few things I've bought for camping that I hope was a total waste of money.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RZRBUG said:     I did pick up a can of bear spray when I was at Camping World today.  One of the few things I've bought for camping that I hope was a total waste of money.
    Good way to get around Murphy's Law  :D
  • Options
    OOPS!  The bear spray came from Bass Pro.  Not sure CW has it.  Stopped at CW for something I changed my mind about after entering the store, and bought two things I hadn't even thought of before.  You know how it goes......

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    I got "bear bells" for a Christmas gift. I truly do not want to get close enough to any bear for the bear to hear the bells.
     I bet a bear could get in the galley of an unlocked  T@B Clamshell. We will take the Yeti cooler and it is made to be "bear proof". I guess we should leave it in the tv and disguise it as chair or something. 
    We will be in Yellowstone 1st week of June, RZRBUG, maybe we can say howdy while there. Are you taking your dog? 
    Thanks for all the input you guys have given on Yellowstone. 
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    I have been tent camping in Colorado for 15 years -- both back country and in campgrounds -- and only one time has a bear invaded our campground.  AND that was because someone left a cooler outside on the picnic table of our group site.  Generally, they are not going to lumber into a developed campsite and start ripping apart cars and T@Bs to get at food.  (Of course, there are exceptions.) But if you follow a few simple rules, there should be no problem:  1) Keep a clean campsite.  2). Wash all dishes after each use. 3). Store coolers in the TV and throw a blanket or something over it.  They DO know how to differentiate the shape of a cooler. 4). Store clothes and outerwear which you had on while cooking inside your TV. 5) A loud air horn is easier to operate in the middle of the night than a can of bear spray, but I also have a can of bear spray.  The air horns are very small, and designed to be used on a boat if you are in distress.  The noise will scare the poop out of the bear.       X_X
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options

Belva:  Tentative plans are for either last week of May or first week of June. I have not made any reservations.  Sort of hoping to be able to find a spot somewhere close to wherever I decide to stop.  Many of the campsites do not take reservations anyway.  Maybe we'll be able to say hello somewhere along the way.  I plan to go through Grand Tetons first, then Yellowstone, then head back east through Black Hills.  And, yes, I will be taking my dog.  I don't go anywhere without him any more.  He is very explorative.  Hope he doesn't become bear bait.

Beth: I already have an air horn that I bought last year.  They are EXTREMELY loud.  Like Belva, I appreciate all the experienced advice.

Two years ago I stopped at an RV park in Estes Park, CO, and was told not to leave any food around because a bear had been spotted in the park.  I had peanut butter and honey in the truck.  Did not sleep too well that night.

:))

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

Larry -- You will have a great time!!! I was in Yellowstone in the winter, which is another experience. 

Keep your dog close to you, though, especially at dusk/night.  Check with the campground hosts and rangers regarding recent bear activity.  Peanut butter and honey is a bear-favorite! 

The bear who invaded our campground loved the leftover steak.  He also "left over" some scat!!!!   

:-q
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    You're a funny girl, Evelyn. 
    How's your back?
  • Options
    Take pics when done. Sounds amazing.
    I want to do Glacier so badly but we cannot work it out and also Idaho.
    Keep up the PT.