Options

Window latch hard to operate, binding and misaligned with mating latch part, see photo

On the rear window of my 2019 Tab400 I have several lock latches that are very hard to close/lock. I noticed that the strike plate mounted to the window frame is not aligned with the lock handle (see photo and red circles, this photo window is unlocked). I can see they are designed to mate and engage each other. I imagine moving the strike plate a little will align them but I am concerned the new holes for the two mounting screws in the new locations will be so close to the previous location that they will strip out. Anyone else experience that and have a repair that worked for them? 
2019 T@B400
TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
Southern California
Full-timer since 2019

Comments

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    So far I've been able to just loosen the screws and fine tune the strike plate position to keep the closure consistent.  But be warned from a drenched user:  if you don't keep equal pressure on all sides of the windows against the weather stripping, you can easily create small gaps, or water entry channels that can show up when driving in the rain.  I've put in softer weather stripping on one window to combat that effect. And now anytime I adjust the window plates, I use a garden hose on full blast to make sure it's water tight.

If you do need to drill new holes for the strike plate, I'd guess that taking off the plate, filling the hole with a strong construction adhesive, then carefully drilling new holes after the adhesive sets would work fine.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    @DougH: I loosened the screws but that allows movement in the direction that does not help. Thanks for the caution about leaking window weather strip. And for the construction adhesive idea. I'll drill new holes and use the adhesive as needed. 
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    My issue with my 400 was similar but I had a latch that wouldn’t reach the striker plate.  This required installing a few small washers to gain additional clearance so the latch would pull the window to the closed position.  If it were me, I would look at every latch along the edge of the window, tweak them on the short side (where you lack the proper striker distance) and see if you can adjust and attain the proper alignment that way.  It sounds like the window is off center just a tad and this may require some adjustment on the other pressure points to pull the window over enough to get proper alignment.  I would also open the window to the full open position, check the distance on each side at the top and see if you can bump it some (if that’s possible) to gain some additional clearance and attain proper alignment.  I’d be leery too if drilling new latch plate holes and would only do that as a last resort.  

Another thought here might be to remove the locking handle, use a Dremel tool with a small diamond bit and grind out enough material on the screw holes so that the latch can be slid over enough to attain alignment.  Install some small washers over this area and tighten them back down.  This would take a little time and precision work but might remedy your problem.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    edited October 2019
    The rear window can float a little side to side. Unlatch all and slide the window sideways, that is all mine required, this is assuming at one point at the factory it latched.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    @jimcenname
    Is the latch on the other side misaligned in the same manner?  If so, @N7SHG_Ham has nailed it.  Open all the latches, raise the window slightly and slide it ever such a little bit sideways.  You may have to adjust the side latches a little but that is just a matter of loosening the hold down screws on the frame.
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    I have the exact same issue on my 400 rear window, and I’m not sure what to do about it.  Just like you, drilling new holes so near the current ones would be problematic.  Also, if you find the latch alignment off on one side or the other, you can actually shift the window over a bit so that they reach both sides.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I wasn't clear enough, the misaligned latches are on the side of the window (I should have oriented the photo so the hinge was vertical, not horizontal) so I would have to slide the window upward towards the hinge. (It won't move that way) and even if it did that would then mis-align the other hinges that presently line up well. 
    2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    It appears as though you could reposition the bottom plate to correct the alignment. The plates are slotted to allow for that. It looks like loosening and shifting the plate to the NW a bit will center it. 
  • Options
    MiquelCamoMiquelCamo Member Posts: 91
    edited October 2019
    @jimcenname

Take the screws out of the plate, slide it over to align and see if there's room to drill new holes. If not, you might be able to install a thin metal strip under the rubber and then drill your holes. Otherwise, Michigan Mike's suggestion to dremel out a "sideways" slot might be the way to go. Good luck. 
    Mike and Lisa Campbell
    Springfield, MO
    2016 T@B Max S - Sold March 2020

• Options
    edited November 2019
    I relocated the mis-aligned "strike", the part of the rear window latch screwed into the rubber seal, to align it with the lock part of the latch. The new screw holes are very near the old ones but the screws are holding well. The lock operates much easier now.

2019 T@B400
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • Options
    MiquelCamoMiquelCamo Member Posts: 91
    Good job, I'm glad this worked out. 
    Mike and Lisa Campbell
    Springfield, MO
    2016 T@B Max S - Sold March 2020