Options

Trailer Nightmare.

sgttikisgttiki Member Posts: 92

VERY soon, I will order my T@B! However, I do have a story which I hope will make you laugh, although it wasn't funny at the time!

During the summer of1963, my Father bought a homemade "pop-up" trailer in order to take the clan camping to the Adirondack Mtns. (NY). We lived on Long Island (NY), but for most of our lives, we were from the "city." We had been TENT camping at the same [intended] campgrounds for two years prior. Mom, Pop & and three unruly boys (7, 10, 11). Mom was not a happy {tent} camper....literally! So no more tent camping for us! MOM RULES!

The "trailer' was a hard side/hard top, homemade rig. The roof unbolted, the sides flipped up for camping. When traveling, the sides folded and the roof re-bolted. Dad had trailer in the "up" position while he packed the gear, then folded the sides for travel. After packing for our trip on Friday, we set out on our trip early Saturday morning (5 AM). Mom/Dad didn't wake us until it was almost trip time! Smart move on their part!

We left our Long Island home, hoping to reach our destination in about 5.5 hours. Imagine three unruly kids in the car for 5+ hours! Trust me, you don't have a clue! Three Irish, City Kids! Anyway, because of the usual bickering/fighting between 3 brothers, I had to sit in the front seat between Mom and Dad.

Here it comes folks!

We were leaving Long Island via the Throgs Neck Bridge, which brings you into the Bronx (NYC). As we were on the bridge, approaching the Bronx side I looked back towards the trailer and said, "Daddy! The roofs gone from the trailer!" "Sit down and shut up," was his response! "Roger That," was my thought!

When we pulled into the Toll Booth, the attendant said, "Hey Mister, the roof of your trailer is missing!"

I wonder why Pop yelled at me and not that attendant! We essentially said the same thing! 

The Police were called and a search ensued. It was determined that Pop forgot to securely bolt the roof (he didn't bolt it at all!) The wind completely lifted the roof from the trailer, and launched it over the side of the bridge, directly into the East River, 100's of feet below! YIKES! Amazingly, no one was injured and none of the camping gear was launched! "Good packing techniques, Pop."

We limped back to our home. All of the neighbors were there. Dad was angry and embarrassed. Mom was annoyed. My brothers and me were disappointed. Pop unloaded the trailer, and covered it with a tarp.

All was not lost. Pop had Plan B which was implemented the next day! My Grandmother was from a rural farm area approximately 2.5 hours away. We still had relatives living/operating a farm. We had been there before! A pond, with a rope swing; fresh apples and berries; frogs, fishing; barns, fields, trees, horses, cows, goats, chickens and fresh eggs. A stream. A country fair. Mom, Pop, my Brothers! WHAT A GREAT VACATION!

When we returned home, and with the help of some neighbors, Pop built a replacement roof. For the next few years we used that trailer at the same campground (Moffitt Beach S.P, Speculator, NY).  

I have wonderful memories of those camping trips and that campground. I will soon be ordering my T@B and hope to recreate some of those wonderful camping feelings/memories. After a practice run in my driveway, I'm going camping at Moffitt Beach*. 

*I'm not sure if they will allow me to enter. In July of 1966, my brother [accidentally] set the campsite ablaze!  Thankfully, fellow campers and the Park Rangers were able to put it out before it became an out of control FOREST FIRE! Another funny story, for another time!

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited May 2015
    Wow - There were four boys in our family so I know what traveling's like - Poor mom.
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    edited May 2015
    Loved the story, thanks.

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Gosh, I only have negative childhood camping memories of a severe knee injury in a creek trying to catch crawdads.  You are lucky it didn't taint you.  Camping is a wonderful experience, and I hope you have a lot more good ones!  Thanks for the story.  :):)
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options

I recently researched Moffitt Beach Campground via the internet. I saw some wonderful photos and videos. I am anxious to get back to visit after 50+ years. Wow....hard to imagine so much time has passed.

Well, I won't lose the roof of my T@B, and, I won't set the campsite ablaze!

To all who are part of this forum, I thank you for the vast amount useful information you share, and continue to share, including photos and stories of your camping/trip experiences.

As a result of the information, I will hit the ground rolling. I won't be/feel like Andy Farmer when he moved to the country (Movie: Funny Farm, w/Chevy Chase).

Thanks ALL!

PS. Anyone interested in the true story of the "BLAZING CAMPSITE?"

• Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    edited May 2015
    sgttiki said:
    To all who are part of this forum, I thank you for the vast amount useful information you share, and continue to share, including photos and stories of your camping/trip experiences.

As a result of the information, I will hit the ground rolling. I won't be/feel like Andy Farmer when he moved to the country (Movie: Funny Farm, w/Chevy Chase).

Thanks ALL!

PS. Anyone interested in the true story of the "BLAZING CAMPSITE?"

May I add my thanks to this group, and to Mods Verna and Mike. You've all made our intro into T@b camping so much fun and so much less frightening. I can't thank you enough.

Beth
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thank you, Beth. Mike and I enjoy this. We sure won't get rich with the volunteer hours, but we both enjoy interfacing with the LG world. You have fun camping now.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options

2nd Camping Story.

If you read my 1st story; toward the end, I mentioned the near full blown FOREST FIRE!

1966. NYS Campground, Moffitt Beach, Speculator, NY. 

My oldest brother and me went fishing. Mom and Dad went for a hike. One brother remained at the campsite along with the family dog, a [nasty] Fox Terrier. Both of my brothers were Boy Scouts, so they knew about camping & fire safety (Oh Yea?).

After the fishing, my oldest bother and me were returning to our campsite, which we couldn't yet see, as we were about 50 yards away. As we got closer, we noticed people, many adults, rushing in the direction of our campsite. My brother and me decided to quicken our approach. Here's what we saw and heard:

Our campsite was ablaze! YIKES. Our tent was ripped down by other campers! Our homemade trailer (see 1st story), was pushed onto the roadway, as was our Ford Galaxy (no transmission lock).

People were running from everywhere, carrying buckets of water, shovels, blankets & rakes. The campsite was really cooking! There was plenty of shouting!

I don't know how, but the other campers managed to put out the flames. The Ranger Fire Watch Station saw the black smoke, and called the local Rangers & Troopers! YIKES.

Not long after, Dad & Mom returned from their hike. YEEE-IKES! As I was young, I don't know what transpired between Dad and the Rangers, but I do know "Pop" was not a HAPPY CAMPER! Our fellow campers helped restore our campsite: Tent/Trailer set up, etc. A small plane circled overhead.

OK.....here's the explanation from "CAMPFIRE BROTHER." A proper fire was burning in the fireplace. Dad left a can of stove fuel by a tree, well away from the fire.

According to "CAMPFIRE BROTHER," the [nasty] Fox Terrier accidentally knocked the fuel can over, causing the cap to fly off and the fuel to run into the campfire as well as to other parts of the campground! Result: BLAZING CAMPSITE!

I had forgotten that incident for many years, and only recently, when recollecting, asked "CAMPFIRE BROTHER" if he could/would stand by his [1966] explanation.

Here's his response: "Only the dog and me were there. The dog is dead. So, that's my story, and I'm sticking with it!"

I'm skeptical. How about you? I wonder if I should ever revisit that campground. YIKES! 

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Are you "allowed" to visit the campground?  Are you SURE your family members aren't on a banned list? ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    sgttiki said:

2nd Camping Story............

.........Here's his response: "Only the dog and me were there. The dog is dead. So, that's my story, and I'm sticking with it!"

Love it!
  • Options
    LARKLARK Member Posts: 146
    Yeah, you could go back and listen to all the stories from other campers who might have been there at the "Great Campfire of 1966". Just don't let them know it was your brother!
    M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC
  • Options
    TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
    Love the story. You definitely need to write about the "forest fire!"  Maybe I should contact my brother and see what he remembers about our family cross country camping trips in the '50's/'60's! I remember a Chevy wagon where my parents slept and a heavy canvas tent for my brother and me.  Only stayed in a motel when it was really really hot (the Mojave in July) and we demanded a pool!!! Oh yeah, the really bad sunburn in Florida and peeling all across Texas!!! And my brother pitching rocks off the precipitous edges (to my mother, at least) along the trip. Boy, those were fun times!!!
    martha in Pittsfield, VT with my '15 T@B CS-S.
  • Options

Actually, I sometimes thought Mom & Pops loved that dog more than me! At least I felt that way when I was being punished!

Didn't Billy Joel write a song entitled, "We Didn't Start the Fire?" Well, I don't think my family could make that claim! YIKES!

Maybe I'll scratch Moffitt beach off my list, and visit other campgrounds.

Time to enjoy new [camping] experiences and recollect those happy [camping] days of my past. I've been and am fortunate.