Options

First morning waking up in the T@b

XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
Finishing our first shakeout run. Brought the T@b to a friend's house in the hills of Ohio. Plugged in, and after a day of shooting trap and hanging out, Kitty and I got the t@b ready for the night.

Observations:

1. It's 29 degrees here right now. The "cuddle caravan" lived up to it's name

2. I didn't turn on the furnace until 2am... ...and I am convinced that they didn't fill it with antifreeze, as it has done little to cut the chill

3. The bed wasn't too bad. We added an egg crate for some extra padding, but the lower density foam in the bed could be denser.

4. I worry about condensation from breathing when it is so cold, so I turned on the roof vent van to exhaust. I didn't want to crack a window... so I woke up later wondering if I would be causing the tab to implode! I don't know how airtight this thing is, but you think weird thoughts at night (at least I do). Not finding an answer, I. Shut off the fan... ...and indeed, there are steaks of condensation on the ceiling this a.m.

5. I put cardboard over the Jensen stereo display, and a sticker over the tv power light. Both are very bright.

6. The portal window will need to have a permanent solution, in either the LG way, or one of those cake pan dealios.

7. I am contemplating a method of reducing light through the roof vent while preserving it's function. More on this later.

Overall, pretty cool... ...and workable. I do need to figure that furnace out though, as well as the vent fan crush risk. Anyone?
LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 

Comments

• Options
    Neil... O saw that about the vent and cracking a window... ...but I wasn't sure if that was a "recommended for best results," or a must do. I can only imagine the temps in here last night with freezing air flowing through... OTOH, if it is what it is, then it is what it is.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    Good idea... we have one Kitty uses at her home office... we can pack it in. I
  • Options
    this forum sometimes acts so weird on my phone... I couldnmt get back to edit the above... ...anyway, I was going to say that I like the idea for quick heat... ...but the alde is supposed to be quiet, etc. which means, i will have to do the bleed etc. In the short run, for quick hops and instant heat, I'll bring the miniheater! Incidentally, my tow vehicle through the hills of southeast Ohio and back ho,e running 60 on the freeway pulled 14 and change MPG hauling the T@b on winter formulation gas. Not a bad deal, releatively speaking. I am absolutely gobsmacked though at the idea of lesser/smaller vehicles towing this rig in any area of elevation changes. And oh yeah... we love it. Super glad we snagged it. Here's a pic of my then unlevelled Tab rady to leave this morning after a night of camping: (In our friend's driveway LOL)
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    The forum does strange things on my phone, also. 
    We use the iheater for a quick warm up. 
    Is your wife comfortable in the T@B? 
    We bought the "smoke" color fan vent cover. It will help with the light from the fan. Our fan is directly above the bed area on the CS. 
    You sound like a happy camper. 
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    It's funny... the vent cover on mine IS smoke. It made me co template painting the inside black. Thing is, we like the light once we are woken up... ...so I am toying with the idea of a small cloth that could dangle on the side of the vent facing us, to block the direct glare.

My wife liked the T@b a good deal... and the bed did fine. We broke out an egg crate deal (which is staying in the T@b, along with our full bedding ensemble). The only discomfort is that it was so cold, that we were clinging to the point that you couldn't move around. LOL

I think it's going to be great.
  • Options
    I am contemplating the Rally... I have to check two things... the first is a business trip in August, the second is there is a week I am letting my friend take the T@b on a run with his lady. I'll be checking dates tomorrow, as a fact, to see if we can be there. I think it would be great.
  • Options
    belvagillespiebelvagillespie Member Posts: 199
    I missed that one, Neil. Thanks.
    T@BbyKay, 2014 CS, S Ford Explorer
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    Some of us have made inserts to sit between the roof vent screen and the blades to block light.  Mine is felt.  It's easy to twist the screen off, insert felt, and replace screen.  I always crack the roof vent, and usually put one window in "vent" mode.  I've camped many times in freezing temps and snow, and find if I use a ceramic heater, I seldom have to move it off of "low".  I also have a propane furnace that I love when I don't have hookups.

I've always sat something in front of our LP detector to hide the flashing light, and sometimes drape a hand towel over the 12V fridge light.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    I agree that a little light may not be too bad, especially since we have the wetbath... because, believe me... there's no "sneaking and hitting the loo" in the t@b LOL

I got crafty last night... there were some extra serial number sitckers from the 3 way fridge. I took one, literally tore it in three pieces with my teeth, and placed them in layers over the glow light on my tv. The fridge light was a non starter.

I am beginning to think there may be some mild confusion on my part in this thread. My vent ld on the fantastic vent is smoked plastic. I do not have a Maxxair type vent cover yet. At first I did not want anything to add height to the unit, but there is a part of me that thinks the value of such a product in terms of rain usage and now the light issue may have some significant merit.

Where did you get yours, Neil?
  • Options
    scubascuba Member Posts: 87
    All I have to say is; Velcro! Easy on/off application. Cut something to size attach Velcro on edges/corners. Good to go!
    Life is good! Great in a T@B!
    2014 CS-S Maxx
  • Options
    Scuba, there was a gal making those.  I don't know if she was selling them, or made them for their T@B.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    I thought of that idea, scuba... ...but I do not want to restrict airflow.

O joke, I think a cheap 'n easy fix is to paint the inside of the fan vent cover Ithe small one, not a Maxxx Air) black. Hmmm...
  • Options
    A velcro, easy on and easy off, cover for the roof vent.