Options

Done Deal

Hello All - picked up my new tab yesterday in Columbus, OH and got it home in one piece. I have a question about the mounted flexible solar panel. I asked the dealer where the charge controller was for the panel and he said there wasn't one, that it is just wired right into the battery. He suggested using a Victrom app. This doesn't sound right to me. I know solar panels have to have a controller. Anyone using a similar setup want to comment? Thanks, Greg

Comments

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I haven’t purchased as yet, but have a cursory knowledge of solar. Yes, you do WANT a charge controller if for the sole purpose of not over charging your battery(íes). Without one you could destroy your battery(íes) in the least or they could explode at the most. So technically you don’t need one, but not having one would be inadvisable. That said...in purchasing a victron controller along with the Bluetooth dongle, you will have the ability to monitor your state of charge.  I’ll be shortly behind you...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    RayJimRayJim Member Posts: 129
    edited November 2019
    Mines was under the seat, had to unscrew the seat to get access. The solar panels are connect to the battery but there is a charge controller in between. The app is to monitor the controller remotely so you dont need to access directly 
    2021 T@B Boondock 400. 2021 Toyota SR5 V6
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited November 2019
    Is it a new Tab? What model?
    I can't believe it would be sold without a charge controller.
    Agree with what @4ncar said, it would quickly fry your battery.
    Sounds like the dealer was oblivious.
    The Victron app will allow your phone to connect to a (Bluetooth enabled) Victron controller, if it's what you have.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,652
    Most likely, it is just another person who is badly informed about how solar works.  Too bad it happens to be a dealer, but.....
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    It has a controller almost 100% certain. AFAIK NuCamp uses across all products a Victron controller, it is blue in color and location will depend on model. There is a Bluetooth app that shows the data you need, no real need to access the controller itself.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    gregtipton19_gregtipton19_ Member Posts: 23
    Thanks for the responses, very helpful. After further investigation, I do believe there is a controller located under the bed. I downloaded the Victron app to my phone then went to the camper and it was recognized so I think there is a controller to pair with. I'll check for sure tomorrow. But, yes, my dealer was oblivious. 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Glad you found your controller. Unregulated solar panels can put out around 18V in full sun--more than enough to fry your new batteries as others have noted.
    2015 T@B S