Options

Help! I need advice on interior wall surgery

BenitaBenita Member Posts: 6
edited November 2019 in Tips & Tricks
So, I was camping at Sleeping Bear Dunes and under an oak. All night in the rain it is "BAM!" "BAM!" as acorns hit the roof of my T@B 320S. Then I heard a "Thunk" and assumed a small twig had fallen. In the morning, I realized that my iPAd, which I had been charging on the rear USB had fallen down behind the shelf between the curved back of the teardrop and the internal structure of that shelf/storage piece. I mean, there is like an eighth of an inch, but somehow, I must have kicked it or something. How can I get my iPad? Do I need to jigsaw a slot between the two walls of the shelf/storage area?

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,595

@Benita

This issue came up on the T@B Facebook Page in September 2019.

Tom Brooks Posted this reply on how to Remove the Rear Shelf Assembly:

It’s not that hard to retrieve. I retrieved an iPhone from there. You can go in from the top.

The bins under the hinged shelf are one piece of furniture. You will need the square head screwdrivers, I think just a #2 but maybe also a #1.

That unit has 2 or 3 screws on each side (passenger and driver’s side) that need to be removed plus screws on the inside front (hard to see, but you can feel them).

After they are removed, you can pull the bin unit up out of the area and gain access below.

It was a tight squeeze and we ended up having to remove the side panel on the driver’s side to get it out. (It is the panel covering the Alde glycol tank).

My wife and I took it apart, retrieved the phone and put it back together in about 45 minutes. Don’t even think about going in from the bottom. (After further thought, we might have taken the hinged top off first. If it needs to come off, it is pretty simple).

Hope that helps.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    @MuttonChops Very good description of the process to back in there--hopefully I will never need to do it, but glad to know it is possible without using saw blades =)
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    gcareynhgcareynh Member Posts: 1
    This tip rescued my iPad. Process went as described except we removed the hinged top (just made things easier). Thanks for posting this.