Options

How do I get my 98" high TAB 320S in my 93" high garage?

john56john56 Member Posts: 4
I am the new guy who just recently purchased a TAB 320S Boondock Edge.  I live in Utah and the winter weather will soon be upon us.  I want to store my new little baby in our garage but it is only 93" high and the TAB trailer is 98" high.  Do you think I can let 5" worth of air out of my tires, roll the TAB into the garage, and the put the air in again?  Your thoughts and expertise would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited November 2019
    They make 8" pretty small rims that still have a 5 on 4.5" lug pattern if that's what your Boondock Edge uses.  Etrailer sells them.

If you bought a couple of the lowest possible profile tires from your local tire shop that would fit that baby rim you ought to be able to make it, as long as that doesn't scrape your tank drains. Or just go without the tires and roll it into the garage on those new inexpensive baby rims.

Not sure if you'll quite make 5" with deflation alone.

Lil_Lucy back in 2015 posted here: "Yes. I removed the 14" tires and wheels and replaced them with 12" rims (no tires) then just pushed it into the garage. It's a real close fit. The rubber door seal on the garage door header just skims over the A/C fan vent cover but I didn't have to remove anything on the top. I would suggest to anyone to MEASUREMEASUREMEASURE before you attempt this in your garage. Height clearances could vary and there is no room for error. There was no dolly involved."

So you may be able to go with a bigger rim, like a 10" or 12".   Using the search feature for the forum on the top right of the screen with "garage clearance" I found pics of triumph... 

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    rcrcowboyrcrcowboy Member Posts: 4

let the air out of tires  ha ha
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    Buy a New House - - - - - - -
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Buy a house with a 24x36 heated and air conditioned barn....it even has radiant floor heating!   
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    nhmikenhmike Member Posts: 94
    talk to a local carpenter.  maybe modify existing space, maybe create new.  the expense will be worth it.
    2016 cs-s max
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Yeah, in hindsight I wish I'd built a four bay garage (rather than three) and installed 8' doors (rather than 7').
    First world problems, baby, first world problems...  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My challenge in the spring will be finding a contractor to replace the10’ wide, 8’ tall sliding door on my new 24x36 insulated, heated and air conditioned pole barn. With 12’ tall ceilings, I think that should give them enough room for a 10’x10’ “normal” garage door (fingers crossed). 

I didn’t get the 400 here soon enough to get it covered, but it looks like the temps will be high enough next week (and the snow and ice melted) to get the cover on her. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    ScottG said:
    Yeah, in hindsight I wish I'd built a four bay garage (rather than three) and installed 8' doors (rather than 7').
    Presuming compliance to local building codes raising the header over your entry to permit installation of an 8 foot door may be possible. The rafters should be up high enough to allow the door to clear and if they are not it's also possible to re-frame these. 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    tabiphile said:
    ScottG said:
    Presuming compliance to local building codes raising the header over your entry to permit installation of an 8 foot door may be possible. The rafters should be up high enough to allow the door to clear and if they are not it's also possible to re-frame these. 
    Good thought but no-go. There's no code issue but my doors are on the non-gable side and there's not enough space to raise the header unless I maybe went to a steel beam.
    Regardless, that still wouldn't solve the problem of too few bays...  :-/
    I do have land. I suppose if I cared that much I could just build another garage! Hmmm...  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    TBullardTBullard Member Posts: 20
    Remove AC Vent cap.  Good for 1-2 inches.  One screw holds it in on a 2016 T@B.  Let air out of tires.  Should be able to get 3-4 inches doing this.
    Range Rover Sport HSE TV - Charlotte, NC
  • Options
    COHiker06COHiker06 Member Posts: 25
    edited January 2020
    is it an issue of the garage door overhang when in the full up position or is it the framing of your house? I had to replace my dead garage door opener recently. Bought a 10 extension rail, really just a 2.5' additional rail and longer belt, then relocated the opener back two feet and gained the extra clearance because the door could travel to a full flat position when up. I also moved the door opener rail attach location at the header down two inches and the door attach point up an inch to shorten the lifting arm and gain more travel.
    2018 T@B400
    2019 Jeep GC 5.7L
    and two furry bed hogs
    Colorado
  • Options
    PassportPassport Member Posts: 112
    I purchased two rims off of Ebay that fit the trailer, had a welding shop laser cut the flanges off and every time I returned from using the trailer would take the wheels off and put on the cut-down rims.  That was in 2017 and I still have marks on my drive from the metal rims.  But it was sheltered and safe from weather.  Got old fast.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I know this is an old post but thought I'd add to it.  Recently we became the owners of a new 2022 NuCamp 320S Boondock.  It sits in our driveway and we have hail forecast for tonight the size of golfballs.  I have given a lot of thought into how I could get the behemoth T@B at 92" tall into a garage door that is 84" and...   I ordered a pair of tires 8" rims with 5 on 4.5 lug size witgh tires.  But will they fit over the brake drums of the Boondock?  I wondered.... So, I ordered a pair of spacers which will move the rim out about 1 1/2" and fit over the studs on the drum of the T@B. 
    I'm not quite sure what the height will be with the 8" tires yet-they'll arrive tomorrow.  I may have to let some air out of the tires or even remove the tires  and use the rims only to get the Boondock in the garage.  I'll post more as time move along....

• Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Some folks have successfully used these by removing the wheels and placing under the dolly under the drum  
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    That may be my next step...but I hope not.
  • Options
    fstop32fstop32 Member Posts: 362
    I don't know how anyone else feels about setting the camper weight down on the drums...but I wouldn't do it.  I was getting ready to go all Rube Goldberg with a plan but thought better of it 8^ D
    DaveR middleTN - 2015 320S  /  TV 2003 Tundra 4x4
  • Options
    fstop32 said:
    I don't know how anyone else feels about setting the camper weight down on the drums...but I wouldn't do it.  I was getting ready to go all Rube Goldberg with a plan but thought better of it 8^ D
    Has any one suffered any damage to their brake drums using these dollies?  That has to be figured into this somewhere I'd think.
  • Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    There have been older posts around this temp solution. Put the lugs nuts back on to hold the drums in place and they are probably stronger than the wheels, certainly for the short distance to push into a garage. Once in place you can always support the frame with 2x4s. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    Well, the 8" tires looked good visually but alas, I still had even with taking the tires off 1/2" too high.  The 8 inchers dropped the Boondock very low but not low enough.  Probably if I were to take the tires off and cut the flanges off a couple of inches I could get it in but I'm old and tired after fighting with the tires all morning.  Ah well, tomorrow's a new day and I'll start over.  I returned the tires/wheels and maybe I'll see about buying some 5 on 4.5" rims and see what happens.
  • Options
    RVMikeRVMike Member Posts: 23
    I searched for topics about stuffing a T@B into a garage, and see that this topic has been talked about for a long time.  If anyone is interested, this is how I did it, with a couple pictures.

I have a 2020 320s Boondock Edge.  I have 7 1/2 foot high garage door openings.  The exact measurement for my third door is 88" vertically to the middle of the flexible vinyl seal.  I cut and stuffed two 2x4's for the left and right edges of the door to raise the door totally above the vinyl seal.  

I bought two 10x6 rims off ebay ($33 ea. they were "take-offs".) 5 hole on 4.5" circle.  They measure 11 5/16" maximum diameter.  I cut off the inside rim with my angle grinder so that they would clear the brake hub.  Interestingly, the rims would not slide on my lugs.  So I cleaned up the lug holes with a 1/2" drill bit.  Still not big enough.  I went up one 64th to 33/64ths.  That was perfect.  When I got the trailer on the ground I saw that the brake drum was way too close to the concrete.  So I cut some 1/4" plywood strips to roll the modified rim upon.  That worked just fine.  I backed in the trailer with my DW checking clearances constantly.  I can report that we didn't touch the vinyl top seal of the door, we didn't come within an inch of it, I believe.  So that means I could have bought 12" rims and would have still cleared.  When I roll it out, I will use thicker plywood.

With the Boondock tires on, I believe my trailer is 94 11/16" to the high point on the stock vent.  (The BD Edge lightbar mounts are 1/2" lower in elevation than that.)  With the 10" wheels on, my trailer is about 86 to 86 1/2" tall.

Mike and Priscilla, White Salmon, WA
    2020 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge, 2020 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    @RVMike I like that approach!  Having a younger brother who is a "heavy metal" worker my thought was to get him to laser cut 2 discs out of 1/2" steel to a diameter that would give me sufficient clearance for the drums not to touch.  We would then cut the proper size hole for the hub and drill for the lug bolts.  These would bolt onto the hub/drum and I would roll it in on those.  You've pretty much accomplished the same thing with those rims, and done it with less expense and effort  =)    I did mention earlier that I lean toward the Rube solutions, at least in the planning stage  ;)
  • Options
    RVMikeRVMike Member Posts: 23
    edited October 2022
    @fstop32, I started out with that idea too!  What stopped me was worrying about how to get the lug holes perfect.  Only then did I think of buying rims and cutting them down.  

I want to correct one thing I said earlier about the height of my trailer on the 10" rims.  I just went out and measured the height:   Measured 87" on the right and 87 1/4" on the left.  This is with the rims sitting on about 1/8" of plywood (crushed 1/4" plywood).  

So the small rims lowered my trailer 7 7/16".  A regular 320 will not be this much, the fatty tires on the boondock is why, of course.  I was previously estimating the radius of the Boondock tire and wheel was 8", and guessed how much tire squish I might have.  Looks like 9/16", maybe.

My trailer will now happily sitting in the garage for five months.

Good luck Dave and to everyone else. 
    Mike and Priscilla, White Salmon, WA
    2020 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge, 2020 Subaru Outback
  • Options
    scottincarmelscottincarmel Member Posts: 29
    john56 said:
    I am the new guy who just recently purchased a TAB 320S Boondock Edge.  I live in Utah and the winter weather will soon be upon us.  I want to store my new little baby in our garage but it is only 93" high and the TAB trailer is 98" high.  Do you think I can let 5" worth of air out of my tires, roll the TAB into the garage, and the put the air in again?  Your thoughts and expertise would be greatly appreciated!!!
    I was pretty much in the same boat you're in. My garage doors are supposedly 8', but in reality they're about 93 inches. I was hoping letting air out of the tires would do the trick, but it wasn't even close. For me, it worked out for the best, however. I found a local farmer with room inside their barn and I store it there for pretty cheap. Whenever I want to use it, I text them and they have it waiting outside for me. Likewise, they put it away whenever I drop it off. They've spoiled me!
    2021 T@B 320S-BD
    2022 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
    Carmel, IN
  • Options
    @scottincarmel, talk about valet parking!!!! 
    And @RVMike, my good fortune is my brother has access to a CNC type cutting machine so the location of the holes is all programmed in advance.  I wouldn't even think about that much effort if it weren't for the contact.