Options

TAB 400 options/usage questions

xdrxdr Member Posts: 260
My wife and I are seriously considering the TAB400 Boondock and have a few questions about options/upgrades. 
Is it possible to get the 'custom tongue mount' for the spare - like the one available on the Boondock Edge tab320? 
Has anyone modified the front dinette area to accommodate 2 adults? Is this even possible or is the best option to get the tent that attaches to the trailer?
Will the trailer hold up under repeated use on wash-board dirt roads? Not off-roading, but rough dirt forest service/BLM roads out west. 

Thanks!
x
2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.

Comments

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    The spare tire on the 400 is mounted under the a-frame.  If you are asking about a mount that holds the spare upright in front of the tub those are after market items.  You could ask nuCamp but I don't think they do customization anymore.  Your dealer is the most likely source for adding a spare tire mount, but there are a lot of "cowboys" out there who may or may not know anything about "mechanicking."  You could always mount it yourself.  Most of them are straight bolt-on items.
    If you are thinking of sleeping two adults in the dinette area, they will have to be very close friends.  I don't see how that area could be made any wider and still leave access to the (already rather narrow) door.  In addition they will have to be rather short adults.  I'm 6'2" and I have slept comfortably there but it was on a diagonal and not East-West.
    If you go slowly, washboard roads should not be a problem.  At any speed above a fast walk you will likely throw things around in the cabin.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Agree with falcon1970 on the washboards:  the only times my 320 has scattered things I thought were reasonably secure were on washboard roads. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    RCBRCB Member Posts: 193
    Theoretically, the faster you go on a washboard road the less vibration will occur,
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • Options
    xdrxdr Member Posts: 260
    Thanks for the inputs. I'm talking to a dealer now and they have been helpful in what mods they can do as well. 
    I dont plan on driving 60mph on a dirt road towing a trailer :)
    2021 T@b 400 BDL, 2020 Ram Rebel 1500  
    One man, one woman, two small dogs and a sense of humor.
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @RCB
    You are correct!  If you go fast enough the trailer will get airborne and only touch the ground infrequently.  As long as it is in the air there will be no vibration.