Options

Possibly may replace new boondock edge tires? Your thoughts and experience appreciated.

I am thinking of replacing the knobby, new Boondock  320 Edge tires with the Goodyear Endurance radial tire. I would think it would not only give tab a smoother ride, but  better gas mileage for my tv as well. The off road i would do would be limited to decent roads so not having such an aggressive tread i believe would be a benefit. Who has done this, and what do you think?  Thanks:)
2018- 400- Colorado V6-Marin MT bikes :) 

Comments

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 756
    I mounted the Goodyear Endurance tires on my 400.  I have only run them for 5000 miles so far but have noticed no issues in that time.  I have never seen the value of knobby tires on a towed vehicle and think they may actually be a detriment in wet or snowy conditions.  Actually I think they are a detriment even on dry pavement.
    By the way, the Endurance tires are not made in a 235mm size (the Boondock tire width).  The widest is 225mm.  That means your trailer will sit 14mm lower.  That is slightly more than 1/2" and wasn't an issue for me though. 
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    I swapped the standard 400 tires to Endurance radials and have travelled 12000+ miles without issue. I increased the load rating to D from the standard C rating. I like the smooth ride towing although I had no problems with the original tires for the first 6000 miles I traveled. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    DenisP said:
    I swapped the standard 400 tires to Endurance radials and have travelled 12000+ miles without issue. 
    How are they wearing? There have been reports of the Endurance tires being heavily worn after 12,000 miles. What is your experience?
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    edited December 2019
    @tabiphile The tires are wearing evenly and have considerable tread remaining.  Without measuring the tread, I would guess only 1/3 worn.  The Tab is currently in storage waiting for a trip to Florida mid-February and I am confident the tires are more than good to go.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    boonieboonie Member Posts: 83
    I stopped at my local Goodyear store and showed him the photos of the tires on my 2020 boondock and he said they had them on the trailer with the tread going in the opposite direction for better traction, which would only create more drag and less mpg. i will be swapping them out for the endurance tires, he will give me a good trade in as farmers are looking for 15 inch trailer tires. the endurance tires sound like a good fit for this trailer as the 225's instead of the 235's will be hardly noticeable in size difference. 
    2018- 400- Colorado V6-Marin MT bikes :)