Options

Bal leveler on Boondock

TaterTater Member Posts: 134
edited December 2019 in Products and Accessories
I’m a brand new Tab 320 Boondock owner. 
may questions but trying to look up answers first. This question though is that I have read that you can only use the Bal with 13” tires ?  BD have 15”.  Anyone use one on a BD ?
2019 320S Boondock Edge

Comments

• Options
    B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 181
    Tater said:
    I’m a brand new Tab 320 Boondock owner. 
    may questions but trying to look up answers first. This question though is that I have read that you can only use the Bal with 13” tires ?  BD have 15”.  Anyone use one on a BD ?
    We have a new standard non-boondock 320 with 14" wheels and tires and use the BAL Leveler .
    It is a tight fit , but it works with the 14" . I do not think it would fit on any bigger tire than the standard 320 14" I am not 100% , but its very tight on the 14", so the 15" does not seem possible to me .  
    2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD 

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited December 2019
    Been using a BAL on a 320s Boondock for this entire camping season. No issues, fits fine. If you’re concerned, you can always back onto a lego block leveler first, then slide the BAL under the tire around the block.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Thanks Victoria, so I assume you have the 15” tires ?
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Tater said:
    Thanks Victoria, so I assume you have the 15” tires ?
    I have a 2019, with the original larger BD wheels and tires, as far as I’m aware, they haven’t changed tires or wheels on the 2020. I haven’t gone out with a tape measure. Multiple other BD owners have also used the BAL. You can always buy one from a place that takes returns; in fact, I suggest it, since you may decide it’s not the right leveling tool for you. It’s bulky, heavy, takes some physical effort to use (strongly not recommended to use a drill as that will eventually strip the threads on the rod), and needs periodic cleaning and lubrication to operate smoothly. Doesn’t always work well on softer ground unless you carry planks to use under it, which still means maneuvering the trailer tire onto a board prior to pushing the BAL around the tire.

It’s a love it or hate it item. I like it, but due to the weight and bulk, I would drop it in a heartbeat if I found something I liked better. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Thank you, I have a 2019. Very helpful. 
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    I have a 2017 Outback/Boondock with the 15 inch tires and it works fine.  I carry a small shovel for the occasions on gravel or uneven ground when it doesn't slide easily around the tire.
    I wrap a pool noodle around it to keep it as clean as possible while in use.  A good size socket and wrench gives me plenty of leverage, since it does take a bit of strongarming at times.  On my first few trips, before I started really paying attention to the "levelness" of where to park the trailer, I discovered how strong the Bal can be.  It can lift the trailer more than a foot.  I'm much better at choosing sites now, to avoid that sort of thing.
    Everything Victoria said is true:  heavy, bulky, etc.  But as a solo camper, I'm not sure if I want to deal with the "lego block" method.  The Bal is very easy to use, once you get used to it.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Thank you Pt745.. I am a solo camper as well and female. I’m pretty strong so I should be able to handle it I hope. 
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    A 2018 T@b Boondock here.  We have used a Bal for about two months of traveling.  I don't know of anything better.  No problems found.  My rig is leveled out after about 3 minutes of starting.  No jostling trailer around on the blocks.  I use the provided ratchet wrench tool.  Not heavy for me, a guy.  Stores easily in the propane tub.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    Thank you, I’m going to give it a try. 
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Lot of people buy an insulated soft pizza carrier from Amazon to store the BAL in between uses.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    That’s a great tip on the Pizza carrier !!!
    thanks
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I've got a 2007 T@B with 16" low profile tires, and it works great!
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Thanks!!
    2019 320S Boondock Edge