Options

Getting a Boondock cover on.

I have a 2019 320 Boondock how in the heck do you get the camper cover on.
to he clear I mean the cover that covers the camper. 
2019 320S Boondock Edge

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    edited January 2020
    On my 320 Outback:
    I lay it out on the driveway, right side up. 
    Mark the place where the front right side of the cover will be when it is on the camper. If you get that spot correct, the door will wind up on the left side of the camper.
    Roll both ends of the cover in towards the middle.  It will look like a hot dog bun.  Roll.  Whatever.
    By magic, I get the rolled up bun/cover on top of the trailer.  That right side corner I mentioned is positioned towards the right side of the camper, the front part of the bun.
    Once it is up and spread over the camper, I just unroll it.  Gravity does most of the work, and I use an old soft broom and nudge it over the various vents atop the trailer.  Mostly it just unrolls by itself.  Position the door in the right spot, etc.
    I have the bigger, heavier cover, and I can do this by myself on a ladder on each side of the trailer.  I tie a cargo strap to the cover part going over the camper, and pull it over (carefully) when I get the cover on top of the trailer. I've also folded the "bun" in half to make it easier to rest on the top of the camper, and then flop it over to reach the other side.
    Gravity is your friend here....it just took me a bit to get my head around exactly where to have the cover positioned for proper orientation on the trailer.

That broom or what ever you use to push the cover is especially useful when it comes time to get it up and over the rack on the back.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    TaterTater Member Posts: 134
    Wow!!!  Thank you so much I read your post and one out and I did it. It really wasn’t that bad I did it all by myself thank you again
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Do you ever crack the windows when you leave it covered up you know that first little catch on the window that opens it up about an eighth of an inch
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    I'm glad that worked for you!  Yes, I usually keep a window slightly open like you point out.
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    I do the same thing PThomas does--do it by myself---roll it up inside out like a hot dog bun then I tie it with a string in a slip knot--get up on a ladder & plop it up on the roof right in the middle and pointing side to side pull the string open then let gravity roll it open, use the broom to give it the final push over the opposite side of the trailer.  Might have to move it around slightly to get the seams & door entry just right, but it was pretty simple as long as you remember where the door is when it is rolled up.
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    Alternative no-ladder method:
    I have a Clamshell. I throw a rope over the trailer, front to back. I then tie one end of the rope to the middle of the back end of the cover and then I pull the cover over the trailer, from front to back.  
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Awesome Idea !!
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    We have a PahaQue 320 cover and rely on the inside-out hot dog roll method with the bungees wrapped on the ends. Then toss the roll over the roof from one side, remove the bungees, unroll, and adjust to fit.
    A step ladder is handy for centering the roll over the vents, but occasionally the toss has been right on target.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 159
    Just poking around and saw this thread. I have a 2017 Outback (since rebranded as Boondock) with a Yakima spare tire carrier on the back. When I bought the camper new I didn't see any available cover. Where can I buy one, and do you think they are worth the trouble? I've been just washing the T@B occasionally. We live in the woods so there are a lot of leaves falling on the camper. I wonder if I would just end up having to clean the cover as much as I'm cleaning the Outback now, although the cover may be easier to clean. Getting dirt off from under the spare tire carrier is a pain.
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Options
    @GrandmasKid it seems there are two ideas on covers:  a heavy, durable cover that can hang in under the sun's rays/weather  for several years, at a higher cost, and a lighter cover that will do the same job but will not last as long.

I have a 1997 car that I like to keep under a cover, mostly to keep the dust off and try to hide the interior from the sun.  It is just light cloth, (cotton?) costs 50 bucks or so.  When the car was out in sun most of the day a couple of years ago, that cloth cover maybe lasted 12-15 months before deteriorating.  The cover lasts longer where I live now, because there is much more shade. 
    For the trailer I bought the cover for the Outback from the Teardrop shop. Mine is marked Paha Que, but I'm not sure if they still sell the same brand.  Here is how they describe it:  Made of a 600 denier, 8.75oz. woven polyester with a waterproof coating and dyed color. 3 year guarantee on the material. It is semi-breathable.
    It is a thick, effective cover.  It has lasted me now three years.  I live in Southern California, and once or twice over the summer I spray the cover down because it gets dusty.  So far, I see no issues with deterioration.  If I get another year out of it, I'm happy.
    There are other covers that will do the job, but longevity will be an issue if they are not heavy enough.  Here are some threads with examples.

2017 Outback