Options

Leaving On Shore Power?

I'm fortunate to be able to leave our 2017 Outback (Boondock) on power from my house. My question is should I, or will I wear something out? Is it wise to use the converter to continually charge the trailer battery, or should I use the cutoff switch and just top off the AGM battery when the charge drops a bit? I love having the ability to use the camper in our driveway when the power goes out from an ice storm or when the grand daughter stays with us. She loves to sleep in the camper.  
2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road

Comments

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    We leave ours plugged in, without any adverse effects, and systems are available for use whenever we wish to spend any time in the trailer.  We don't have AGM, but flooded lead-acid.  I occasionally hook up a smart charger for a full charge or to recondition with its boost mode.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    My 2007 stays plugged into a dedicated 30Amp plug 24/7 (except when traveling) since 2009. In that time I have replaced the converter once and I'm on my 3rd battery. Both of those are normal life spans. I can leave my fridge on, and only defrost the fridge once a year.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited January 2020
    Until recently, I had ours continually on shore power, but since upgrading to twin 6V golf cart batteries, I've left it connected to a Noco Genius battery charger/maintainer, rather than depending on the converter.
    I like the idea of automatic 'reconditioning', rather than having to do it manually every so often.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    I keep my 2017 320S on shore power during winter and when I’m not out camping. No problems yet with my battery. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    I have factory solar on my 400 and leave the 12v on in the trailer. Keeps battery charged. No adverse effects so far. I clean out the fridge every trip and let it stay open to dry out.
  • Options
    Interesting idea, @ChanW.  We have the NOCO Genius 7200, so maybe I should consider this too.  Do you leave the battery switch on or off?  Sometimes we go into our T@B while winterized, so it would be nice to at least have 12V service for lights, but I wouldn't want to have to remove the cover from the tub, unlock, & turn it on, then reverse, just to go inside & get something.  So I'd be inclined to leave the switch on, since I've already minimized the phantom drain by installing kill switches on the Jensen & Alde 12V lines.  I'd want to be able to use the SeeLevel battery voltage monitor anyway.

Whether we do this or not, I've ordered this adapter for our 30A extension cord to avoid having to run a separate one for the NOCO charger..
    Camco PowerGrip Durable Electrical Adapter - Easy Grip for Simple and Safe Use, 30 AMP Male 15 AMP Female (55233) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00192QB3I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_RbHeEbYRAAAHG

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @BrianZ, I've left the battery connected to the Tab (I have no battery switch, would need to pull a fuse), if for nothing else but to keep our GPS tracker security system charged up.
    The total phantom draw is minor, the stereo and the CO detector together seem to draw only 200mA (not really sure about that figure though.)

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I'm fortunate to be able to leave our 2017 Outback (Boondock) on power from my house. My question is should I, or will I wear something out? Is it wise to use the converter to continually charge the trailer battery, or should I use the cutoff switch and just top off the AGM battery when the charge drops a bit? I love having the ability to use the camper in our driveway when the power goes out from an ice storm or when the grand daughter stays with us. She loves to sleep in the camper.  
    The manufacturer of the converter says it’s okay to keep it plugged in.  But like anything else it does produce heat and over time heat does take its toll on electrical devices.  I use a battery tender when the trailer sits for extended periods of time.  To each his own!  👍🏻
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 159
    Thanks for all the comments. I'll continue to keep things turned off when not in use and just use a smart charger when the battery gets down a little bit about once a month or just before a possible ice storm.
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Options
    @GrandmasKid, you could also go longer than a month with the AGM battery, since their rate of self-discharge is lower than that of a flooded lead-acid battery.