Options

Gap between red molding and white roof surface

Any ideas about what I should do?

A 1/4” wide gap on top (door side) all along between the red molding and white roof surface. Not on other side just the door side. (Inside camper is fine) Do screws hold this molding on? Should I try to tighten them first before sealing? It won’t push back in place. What sealant is best? Any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    A picture would be really useful.  There are two items you could be looking at:  the plastic molding and the rubber trim.

Here is a thread that kind of covers both of the issues, and at least will give you a start to defining the problem.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    @Andy That is just the rubberized molding that slips onto the hard plastic red colored trim.  No screws hold it down.  That gap will not cause a leak and you don't need to worry about it.  That rubberized trim on that side just lays on the roof--no glue, no screws.  If the rubberized molding separates from the hard plastic red colored trim, there is a channel on that side of the rubberized trim that you can put some "Shoe Goo" in and push it back onto the hard plastic trim.  Put a piece of tape on to hold it down until it cures.  The hard plastic trim covers the seam between the sides & roof and protects from water entry.  It appears that someone at one point tried to glue that entire side of the rubberized trim down to the trailer.  That was not done by the factory.  
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    mikemageemikemagee Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2019 BDE and noticed the same problem only more severe. If the rubber moldings function is to keep water out it will fail. If it is a trim piece designed for aesthetics it's not working. Obviously over time water, dirt and debris will accumulate.