DIY T@B 400 axle upgrade

atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
edited January 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
Reason: To upgrade from 3500 lb axle to the newer 3900 lb in the non BDL 400.  Axle ordered through Missouri Teardrops, Dana Parsons.  Installed by : an "Old Guy in His shop"

Research proceedure:  Not much info available, so looks Like it is seat of the pants type operation.

Implement project: Brain storm (late at night when supposed to sleep),  gather tools and parts.

Proceed:  Locate T@B 400 in home shop, level solid surface, Loosen all wheel lug nuts, but do not remove.  Also looden all 4 axle mounting bolts per side but do not remove. Raise tongue as far as it will go,  use floor jacks (2 ea) to raise T@B high enogh to place temporary blocks under weels for support. Place Jack stands ( 6 ea) under frame behind axle, in front of axle and near front of frame. Un fasten fasteners holding plastic belly pan and roll under trailer to clear path for axle to be removed.  Place new axle on 2 furniture dollies to enable moving in and out of position.  When belly pan is clear,  raise rv enough to remove blocks supporting wheel/ tires and remove the wheel/ tires.  Place under the frame the wheel/ tire to support if something happens. Remove the heat shrink material from the 2 wires per side brake connections and cut the wires leaving the connections with the rv. Take 2x8 inch pre cut board under axle spaning the width of the axle mounting brackets on the furniture dolly and position under the installed axle.  Use floor jack from beneath the rear of the rv and place under the center of the 2x8 and raise into position supporting the axle.  Remove all 8 (4 per side) axle mounting bolts and carefully lower the axle.  May need a large rubber hammer/ mallet to tap the mounting brackets to loosen.  Lower the axle to the in place furniture dollies and slide side ways out from under the rv. Installation, is the reverse.

This is a simple operation and working by my self was accomplished in several hours.  

THE MAIN THING TO ALWAYS REMEMBER,  CAUTION,  BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WHEN WORKING AROUND AND UNDER THE SUPPORTED RV!!!!!!
2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab

Comments

• AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151
    Nicely done! Great shop too - I am a bit envious. 😄
    2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
    Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab
  • B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 172
    edited May 2020
    Hey @atlasb
    Just a quick question on the wiring . The new boondock axle I just received , it appears , they went a little heavy on the paint and completely painted the 10" leads of brake wiring . I can find no colors identifing the wires (2 on each side) . Is there a specific orientation of how these wires must be wired up ? Is a certain wire supposed to be the ground , or does the polarity not matter ? 

Thanks ! 
    2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2001 Chevy Suburban LT 2500 8.1 - 496ci
    2022 Jayco Jay Feather Micro 166 FBS  
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !  
    2021 Keystone Passport Superlight 229RK - SOLD
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black Trim. - SOLD
    2011 Keystone Outback 260FL 32' - 2 Slides . - SOLD

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    B0atguy said:
    Is there a specific orientation of how these wires must be wired up ? Is a certain wire supposed to be the ground , or does the polarity not matter ?
    I've been eavesdropping on your axle project for awhile so will comment even if question was not directed to me . . .

Electric brake electromagnets have no polarity.  You can connect either wire to the Blue Source or the ground.

For reference, etrailer help posting:
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 172
    Thanks @MuttonChops . At least I know I wont burn up the electromagnets or something if I hook them up incorrectly now , lol . 
    Thanks for the link ........
    2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2001 Chevy Suburban LT 2500 8.1 - 496ci
    2022 Jayco Jay Feather Micro 166 FBS  
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !  
    2021 Keystone Passport Superlight 229RK - SOLD
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black Trim. - SOLD
    2011 Keystone Outback 260FL 32' - 2 Slides . - SOLD

• atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Hey BOatguy,  Exactly what I was trying to figure when I got our new axle.  I seached and did not find a definite answer.  Being a guy,  I watched how I cut the current wires on the 400 with the least amount of splices and wired it back up.  Fingers crossed.  It worked but I had very little reading on my P3 controller.  I adjusted the brakes on the new axle and towed it a few miles them re set the brakes.  All is well in the home front now.  Atlasb
  • jimcennamejimcenname Member Posts: 271
    I notice you covered the large openings in the frame fore and aft of the axle. i did as well using similar technique. I am trying to imagine if there is downside to doing this. What the heck were they for anyway, Hard to believe it was to reduce frame weight. Access holes? to what?

2019 T@B400
    TV: 2017 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    Southern California
    Full-timer since 2019
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    I covered 2 and put a vent screen on 2.  I left the 2 with the screen in case of any propane leak.  I think they are for to make the frame a little lighter.  the frame is fairly light in it's own.  With the lip around they retain most of the strength from removing any material.  Not much that you can really access through them.  I wanted to help prevent some dirt and debris from building up under there.  Some have dropped the belly pan and added some foam insulation under there.
  • SubmarinerSubmariner Member Posts: 14
    So will this work on a 17 T@B CS-S? 
    Retired Navy, 20 years submarine force, 13 years onboard boats, about 9 years underwater, and you ask that silly question, "Why are you that way?"   LOL
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited March 2021
    @Submariner You can contact nüCamp Customer Service and get the correct boondock axle recommendation (was called the Outback then and was available on a 2016 model) for your 2017 TaB320.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • BurritoLoverBurritoLover Member Posts: 11
    @atlasb Great info! Do you know how much your axle mod raised the frame? I'm not finding consistent numbers on the clearance difference between the boondock and standard models.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Ours was raised between 3 to 4 inches higher after the Boondock axle was bolted in.  It makes a noticeable difference, and increases the approach and departure angles of the trailer.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.