North to Alaska!

GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
   We bought our 320 Boondock last summer for a bucket list checkoff of mine - Alaska trip.  We're shooting for this summer.  Yeah, I'm reading all the books, blogs and websites.  This is really popular on the Airstream sites.  I've got a couple of friends I'm picking their brains, that made the trip.  But, not with a T@B.  We'll be starting in SW Florida so it won't be a weekend trip.  So my wife suggested I hit up the forum and see if anyone is heading that way this summer.  More fun in numbers.  Anyone game?

2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
Odessa, Fl.  

Comments

• FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    In 2017 we moved from southern Minnesota to Alaska, taking 8 weeks to do it in our T@B while visiting friends and family across the U.S and then up to Alaska via the Alcan Highway. Search for "Fergie's" posts here for comments, tips and travel information. Summer is a wonderful season up here!

Good Luck and Happy Highways!!

Fergie

• VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    Check our posting from June 2017 entitled North to Alaska.  
    Have fun.  
    Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    GatorEgg said:
       We bought our 320 Boondock last summer for a bucket list checkoff of mine - Alaska trip.  We're shooting for this summer.  Yeah, I'm reading all the books, blogs and websites.  This is really popular on the Airstream sites.  I've got a couple of friends I'm picking their brains, that made the trip.  But, not with a T@B.  We'll be starting in SW Florida so it won't be a weekend trip.  So my wife suggested I hit up the forum and see if anyone is heading that way this summer.  More fun in numbers.  Anyone game?

How long are you planning to be up in Alaska?   I was up there in 2015 with two other friends in teardrop trailers.   A lot depends on the amount of time you plan to spend in Alaska.  If it were me I’d go up through Montana, make a stop in Glacier NP and definitely do Banff, Lake Louise, the Canadian Rockies, Jasper, etc.  Definitely drive up the ALCAN highway to Delta Junction and beyond.  Definitely stop at Liard River Hot Springs Provincial Park along the way and will say this, Canada knows how to build beautiful parks like no one else and they allow for space and privacy, along with a majestic setting!   The trip of a lifetime for sure!   The Alaskan Mountain Range will blow you away!  Definitely take the drive down to Valdez, Hyder, Alaska via Stewart, BC via the Cassiar Highway!   Magnificent only touches the meaning of the spectacular landscape, glaciers, etc.  Simply breathtaking!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • AKDudeAKDude Member Posts: 2
    I moved to Alaska in 98 and Ive done the highway 10 times now I believe both winter and summer.  Im departing for a 3d week in April to 3d week in May.  Animals are much more plentiful in May, but traffic is much less in April.  Only one piece of advise: Purchase the Mile Post Magazine. Hard copy for when you don't have internet.
  • pakpak Member Posts: 113
    Alaska is spectacular. I lived there for over 60 years. We took our T@B up in 2017 from Ea. Wa. We took the Alcan route. At Whitehorse we diverted to Dawson. The road to Dawson is gravel. Dusty but generally in good shape. We took a funky ferry ride at Dawson across the Yukon River, preceded to the border and took the Top of the World Highway back into Alaska and the main highway. It was a slow trip due to road conditions. Once on the Alaska Hwy we proceeded more quickly. A word of caution on road conditions. North of Whitehorse you will begin to experience frost heaves. These are humps and dips which occur as the perma frost under the road bed melts or expands. They can occur in groups or up out of no where. Just be prepared to slow your roll and take it easy. I did see one big travel trailer stopped with one of the storage tanks laying in the road. Apparently the holding straps broke. There were 3 or 4 traveling together. The Tok cutoff has stretches that are slow going. Any route you take in Alaska is awesome. Have a good trip and take your time and enjoy. Pak