Options

Colorado route recommendation?

mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
edited January 2020 in Camping & Travel
This summer, I will be going from a campground near Silverthorne, CO up to Moraine CG/east side of RMNP near Estes - never drove in that area and wondered if anyone could recommend a route. Google wants to route me 70 to 119/72/7. That looks like a lot of curves, etc. Would it be better to go 70 to 93 to 36 even though it goes through Boulder? Just south of Boulder would skirting it via 7 help? Thanks! Mickie 
Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    Looking at Google Maps the difference in the 119/72/7 way and the route through Boulder is 12 miles and 5 minutes.  On the route through Boulder (according to street view) you will have extensive views of suburbia, big boxes, and traffic.

119/72/7 is the scenic route.  I'd take that in a heartbeat.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    @pthomas745 - thanks for the reply. Have you driving that scenic route? Although scenic, I wondered how "hairy" it would be (re: curves, drop-offs, etc.).

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    Street View on Google Earth Pro shows the road to be well paved with sweeping curves and at least 2-3 feet of shoulder where it isn't a wide shoulder.  I didn't see any switchbacks that would make it dicy with a trailer.  In any case, unless you have something huge chasing you down the road (a long 5th wheel, maybe?) it looks doable.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,670
    I agree with Falcon.....it looks like a decent road, but my guess is google is a bit optimistic about travel times in the hills.  It also appears to be a good "tourist attraction" type of drive, so I would imagine it to be pretty nice, with out major white knuckle areas.  There are lots of reviews and sites that discuss it.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    COcamperCOcamper Member Posts: 43
    @mickietucs I live here and would definitely take the 119/72/7 route. Any time you can shave from I-70 in the metro area is a win. Plus hwy 93 is rather uninteresting and 36 puts you in the heart of stop & go traffic through Boulder. Not fun. The curves on 119 are tight and the road in Cental City narrow (very cool authentic mining town) but it will be fine with a t@b and much more pleasant.
    2017 CS-S Silver / Red Trim "Tuesd@y" | 2019 F-150 Abyss Gray | 13 States
    On Instagram: @dogmomming
  • Options
    Thanks all - as long as it's not a continuous "white knuckle" type of drive I'll probably do fine. I'll be in no rush at all. @COcamper - are there turnouts to pull over to let traffic get by?

• Options
    COcamperCOcamper Member Posts: 43
    @mickietucs Periodic widened pulloffs, yes. If you can travel on a weekday, the state highways won't have much traffic. For what it's worth, I've followed a semi hauling a load over the pass on 119. Don't sweat this one!
    2017 CS-S Silver / Red Trim "Tuesd@y" | 2019 F-150 Abyss Gray | 13 States
    On Instagram: @dogmomming
  • Options
    @COcamper - yes - I'll be traveling on a Thursday so good news, possibly less traffic. I feel pretty good now about it so thank you!