Options

Anybody pulling with a Sprinter?

Trying to decide between the Sprinter 144 or 170 - both diesel. It will serve, primarily, as my work vehicle and then eventually our tow vehicle once we purchase our Tab 400. (hopefully this spring) Any feedback?

Comments

• Options
    ShadraxShadrax Member Posts: 22
    I pull an outback 320 TAB with a 2015 4x4 Sprinter, the shorter wheel base, 6 cylinder, and the “simple” transmission. The Sprinter has added weight from modifications. Went to arctic circle from Virginia and back, 15,000+ miles, gravel roads, hills, mountains, Dempster Highway, Cabot Trail too.  No issues at all.  Fuel consumption dropped from about 20mpg highway without the TAB to around 16 mpg with.  I disconncted the trailer brakes, more trouble than they are worth, without any problem even in mountains.  The TAB 400 is what, about 800 lbs heavier?  I predict either Sprinter would be fine.  I like the shorter one for around town driving, parking, ferry travel, etc., but Im guessing the longer wheel base would be nice on the interstates!
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Welcome to the forum you two! @JakeJacobson, I’m pretty sure there are two former T@B owners who use Sprinters and likely others. Hopefully you’ll hear from them in addition to @Shadrax. Speaking of whom, we do love photos, so if you’ve any you’d like to share, that would be lovely-especially of the Arctic circle since most of us won’t make it there in this lifetime! 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    @Shadrax please describe what the problem was with  your trailer brakes.  The Sprinter didn't like them?  Controller problems?  What would cause this issue?

If you disconnected the trailer brakes, do you still have emergency brakes?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    The brakes use a wireless transmitter and controller that require synchronization and adjustment.  The adjustment gets out of whack such that the brakes were being applied unevenly.  Since the trailer is very light relative to the Sprinter the trailer brakes turned out to be not all that helpful.  The emergency brake is completely separate and triggers mechanically off the wire and clip from the trailer that attache to the tow vehicle hitch.
  • Options
  • Options
    So we do! Thank you! Did your T@B and Sprinter wear the arctic mud all the way home as a badge of honor? (This may explain the origin of the Woodie station wagons)

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,653
    @jgram2 I made it to the Circle on the Dalton Highway.  That mud is more like snot and was all over my car.   Even after driving for another couple of weeks through several big rainstorms, it was still visible on the paint.  I borrowed a friend's driveway for a big cleanup and the mudstain I deposited was visible for months.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Special mud! Maybe T@Bs should be available in brown.