Our Great Big Tiny Ski Area Tour

db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 592
Been planning to do this for a few years, but recent craziness at our local larger ski areas got us motivated.  This picture from Vail this week I think sums up our desire to get away from the crowds.

Will post pics from each area with notes on the [email protected] performance.

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

Comments

• db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 592
    Drove from Puget Sound to Salem Saturday to visit friends and ski Hoodoo on Sunday and Monday.  Great sunny skies and packed powder, no lift lines on Sunday, and maybe 200 people on the mountain Monday.  Hoodoo really caters to campers, with 24 hour showers and bathrooms, $20 bucks a night.

I should add we're dry camping, no hookups even if available. Using toilet with RV antifreeze to flush.

Today, Tuesday, was a travel day to tiny Ski Bluewood east of Walla Walla.  The maintenance people locked us in 15 minutes after we arrived. Guess we're in a gated community for tonight. 😁

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 2,708
    So Vail looks awful.... We're planning a trip to ski Taos sometime early spring. We shouldn't expect the same, should we?
    Chan  -  Buffalo NY (Beau Fleuve)
    2014 S Maxx - 2011 Tacoma 4cyl

[email protected]'ll_Do_Ya
    I would hope not, but haven't been there in 20 years, are they an Epic or Ikon pass place?

We're using the Indypass for this trip, with the exception of where we're at tonight. Got Bluewood tix for $30 online here in the parking lot.  

I don't know any of that. We thought we'd just stop for a day (probably 2  ;) ), so a multi-day pass doesn't make sense (unless there's a two day pass!).

I was surprised that the Taos day pass prices were somewhat reasonable, compared to the Northeast anyway.

• TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 202
    db_cooper said:
    Been planning to do this for a few years, but recent craziness at our local larger ski areas got us motivated.  This picture from Vail this week I think sums up our desire to get away from the crowds.

Will post pics from each area with notes on the [email protected] performance.

It looks like the crowds at Disney World !
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 [email protected] 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
    edited February 17
    So we finished the trip yesterday, after skiing Silver Mountain in Kellogg, ID and 49 Degrees North in Chewelah, WA.   Zero high speed lifts,  zero lift lines,  maximum skiing with friendly people.  Very chill trip.

Some notes on the [email protected] performance, couldn't be happier, and very happy with some of the mods we've made. And a lot of the stock [email protected] features are great for camping at ski areas as well.  For example the insulation and double pane windows are great for 4 season camping.

First 5 nights, 6 days we used 2.4 gallons of propane, could easily have finished the trip on one tank, but didn't want to chance it the last 2 nights. Temps at night were mostly upper 20's, would probably use less propane next trip, as we were too hot a couple of nights.

We moved every couple of days, so the dual GC batteries got charged up regularly and never dropped below 12.4.

Black tank is the only limiting factor for staying put more than 5 days,  had to dump on day 6.  Used about a gallon of RV antifreeze to flush, and no problem dumping at lower elevation where temps were in the low 40's.

One of the mods I did was constricting the propane going to the Alde so it wouldn't make the freight train noise when camped at altitude.  Alde ran great, was super quiet, and I'm sure adding the constriction is reducing the propane usage giving us more bang for the buck.

And last but not least, replaced the foam in the 4 cushions that get sat on, and the comfort level for hanging out in the camper was so much better. 

This thing is a boondocking machine now,  love it more than when we bought it 4 years ago.

@db_cooper, great 'review', sounds like a great way to do a ski trip! Thanks for the inspiration!

Which method did you do to 'constrict' the propane line?

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8956/alde-freight-train-fix-15-and-10-min-install

I did the Tabaz fix version.  Haven't had problems at Sea level or altitude, but still don't know if there will be long term problems from leaning out the fuel supply. So far the plusses outweigh the minuses.