Options

Streaming from my iphone

Ok, I have looked on previous posts but a little confused. I want to connect my iPhone to my Jensen Tv.  WiFi hotspot ? HDMI cable, some apple product ?  Magic ?

I just want to be able (when I have a cell signal of course)  to stream from my phone to the TV. 
2019 320S Boondock Edge

Comments

• Options
    CrabTabCrabTab Member Posts: 457
    Search Apple lightning to HDMI connector on the web. As I understand it, the actual Apple brand works with a wider range of apps than off brand models.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    edited February 2020
    HDMI will work but you will have to either unplug the Jensen head unit each time or buy an HDMI A/B switch, as theres only one HDMI port on the Jensen tv. Dont believe the 24JTV12DC is wifi enabled. If you're YouTubeTV, (or Apple in your case) you may be able to stream from your phone buy getting a USB wifi antenna but they tend to degrade the signal. Otherwise, component video or VGA, but they will require separate audio cable. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    Here's a thread that talks about cellular modems etc. I am still writing it so there's more to come about details.  

https://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/908/installing-a-desktop-computer-in-a-t-g

WilliamA
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    To expound on the topic a bit, I've been chasing this dragon for a couple of years.  Now that I have a grocery sack full of cables, adapters, roku devices, etc I've more than satisfied myself that there are many ways to get internet/television reception off the grid, but the only real, streamlined way to do it is a dedicated computer.  Even if you use a laptop (hate those things) you'll more than likely need some sort of modem.  After much research and more than a few modems purchased/thrown away, I fell upon this one:

It's the (something or other, something or other) 730L cellular modem.  I got this one from Verizon along with a data plan. It's a USB modem so therefore, doesn't need a battery or separate power source like a hotspot (I've also got one of those) as it simply plugs into your computer with a usb cable.  It doesn't need any software/apps to work and, from my own experience anyway, simply gets recognized and goes to work.  It gets fantastic reception where my celphone won't and best of all, has a port for using an external antenna.  For an external antenna, I used the one that can be bought as an accessory for this modem.  It's a mag-mount that seems to get fantastic reception.  Here in my yard in the hollow where I get no celphone reception at all, I can get enough through this setup to surf the internet.  Not enough for youtube/streaming movies, but keep in mind that on my celphone here I can't get enough signal to check my email, let alone surf the net. 
    The external antenna (a good one) is the key to getting the most out of available signal.  There's no getting around it.  I've had it with finicky, battery powered hotspots that you can either plug in for signal or plug in to charge, but not both.  That's a BS device. 

What you plug it into is another matter.  I've tried laptops and they have the same problems that the hotspot modems have: i.e. no way to functionally charge them while you use them off the grid, dozens of cables and adapters to make them work, a small keyboard etc.  Once you hook up a laptop, you still have the managements problems of "casting" the video from the laptop up to the Jensen TV and then trying to get the audio signal out to the Jensen radio.  More cables, plugs, wires. 

It can be done.  I've done it a dozen ways now and feel that at last, I've staggered, stumbled into the most streamlined way to do it yet.  That's in my thread (the link above) over on the T@G forum. 

WilliamA 
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • Options
    TaterTater Member Posts: 134
    Thank you all. I’m a lite TV user so I think I’m going to try the Wired HDMI adapter first. 
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
     If you want to stream 4K content or ensure 1080p is rock solid, (this is for home actually since the Jensen isnt 4K capable) the HDMI A/B switch should say: 4k@60Hz, HDMI 2.O, HDCP 2.2. Otherwise the switch will only handle 30Hz which can only achieve 1080p. Not a big deal in the T@B obviously but could be helpful at home. Should run about $35-$50 for a good one. Are some out there for under $20. Caveat Emptor.
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    fishergaryfishergary Member Posts: 12
    I also want to stream content from my iphone to the TV. I'm mainly interested in streaming content that has been downloaded from Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu, as we mainly boondock.  I played around with wireless streaming options, but every one seems to have restrictions with DRM content from the services mentioned.  I've already upgraded the TV to a 24" LG that has 2 HDMI ports, so I can plug the iphone into an HDMI cable using the apple Lightning digital A/V adapter, and it mirrors the display, and works with all 3 services. (I'm also bypassing the Jensen system for audio, but that's another discussion). 
    So the adapter works, but the problem is that it drops frames every few seconds. The audio is clear, but the dropped video frames make it very annoying.  Apparently the apple adapter actually has a processor in it that does the video conversion to HDMI. I'd actually considering switching to a newer Android phone if that would work using a USB-C to HDMI adapter, but I'm not sure even that would work. The only think that seems to be a sure-fire solution would be a laptop, but I'd like to avoid lugging one around.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Apple is pretty strict with their DRM content and rights.  I had an old iPad with the AV adapter, worked great, then they did updates and blocked the use of the adapter.

Are you trying to live stream from those services, or have you downloaded content to your phone then connect to the TV?

I would go thru your phone and turn off everything you don't need to have on for getting the material and sending it to the TV.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    Do you by chance have an iPad to try playing downloaded content?

I agree the wireless won't cut it. I believe you need to have a WiFi network set up for most of them to work (Apple TV, Chromecast, etc).

I don't have a 'top of the' line Android but the wired connection won't work with it either.

We have been looking at a SurfaceGo (Microsoft's tablet). A new version is due out in the coming month's. I think it has the video driver capability needed and is tablet sized. Will ask the person at the store for a demo before I plunk down the plastic though.

Good luck in the quest. Let us know if you find a solution!

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    edited March 2020
    I also want to stream content from my iphone to the TV. I'm mainly interested in streaming content that has been downloaded from Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu, as we mainly boondock.  I played around with wireless streaming options, but every one seems to have restrictions with DRM content from the services mentioned.  I've already upgraded the TV to a 24" LG that has 2 HDMI ports, so I can plug the iphone into an HDMI cable using the apple Lightning digital A/V adapter, and it mirrors the display, and works with all 3 services. (I'm also bypassing the Jensen system for audio, but that's another discussion). 
    So the adapter works, but the problem is that it drops frames every few seconds. The audio is clear, but the dropped video frames make it very annoying.  Apparently the apple adapter actually has a processor in it that does the video conversion to HDMI. I'd actually considering switching to a newer Android phone if that would work using a USB-C to HDMI adapter, but I'm not sure even that would work. The only think that seems to be a sure-fire solution would be a laptop, but I'd like to avoid lugging one around.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm guessing that you realize that unlike the Jensen the LG TV won't run off 12v (battery) power. 

As far as mirroring your iPhone to the TV, in some cases (Netflix for example) you have to be using the actual Apple Lighting-HDMI adapter (not a knock-off) AND have the adapter plugged into a power source in order for the adapter to work properly.  My understanding is that there is some kind of chip in the Apple adapter that handles DRM.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    We've been using this adapter plus a standard HDMI cable for almost two years now to connect our Galaxy Note8 phones to a TV for screen mirroring to view photos, videos, or whatever is on the screen..

CHOETECH USB C to HDMI Adapter (4K@60Hz), Type C to HDMI Adapter Cable Thunderbolt 3 Compatible with MacBook Pro/iPad Pro/ MacBook Air 2018, iMac 2017, Surface Book 2, Samsung Galaxy Note 9/S9/Note 8 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DGKBYP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_X2czEbQB9GHC9

I keep a lot of files on my phone's micro-SD storage card, and I'm currently in the process, as I write this, of upgrading to a 512GB card, since my 256GB card is 90% full.  Six years worth of photos from multiple phones (Note3, Note4 & Note7 previously) take up most of the space, but also videos & document files.  We have watched movies this way on the T@B TV. 

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    BrianZ said:
    We've been using this adapter plus a standard HDMI cable for almost two years now to connect our Galaxy Note8 phones to a TV for screen mirroring to view photos, videos, or whatever is on the screen..

CHOETECH USB C to HDMI Adapter (4K@60Hz), Type C to HDMI Adapter Cable Thunderbolt 3 Compatible with MacBook Pro/iPad Pro/ MacBook Air 2018, iMac 2017, Surface Book 2, Samsung Galaxy Note 9/S9/Note 8 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DGKBYP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_X2czEbQB9GHC9

I keep a lot of files on my phone's micro-SD storage card, and I'm currently in the process, as I write this, of upgrading to a 512GB card, since my 256GB card is 90% full.  Six years worth of photos from multiple phones (Note3, Note4 & Note7 previously) take up most of the space, but also videos & document files.  We have watched movies this way on the T@B TV. 

@Tater and @fishergary have iPhones.

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    yes, I have an iphone. I purchased the apple HDMI connector and mirror from my phone. Works well so far able to steam whatever is on my phone. 
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    @tater, glad to hear you are up and streaming!

@Marceline, I think @BrianZ was responding to my later comment about Android phones.

So great to be able to pool knowledge and ideas here...

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    All this makes me glad to use an Android, which supports Miracast out if the box!

I connect a Miracast dongle to the TV and stream from my phone, wirelessly. I use the Microsoft wireless display adapter.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Wish I could agree :) Apple a day keeps the viruses away :)

We don’t need to start a phone thread :)
    We Tabbers can agree to disagree. 

Happy Camping !
    2019 320S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    @jkjenn, are you using Miracast with the Jensen in your T@B and no WiFi network? I was looking at Chromecast but it appears to require a WiFi network.

2019 320 Boondock Edge
     - Sold Jan 2022
  • Options
    CrabTab said:
    @jkjenn, are you using Miracast with the Jensen in your T@B and no WiFi network? I was looking at Chromecast but it appears to require a WiFi network.
    Yup. I use the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter and no wifi is necessary.

I usually download a TV series before I travel.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    In my experience, wireless screen mirroring with our phones has not been 100% reliable like an HDMI cable connection.  The only disadvantage I see with the cable, besides plugging it in, is if you wanted to use the phone port for a memory card reader, such as plugging in an SD card from a DSLR camera to review photos/videos on the tv screen.
    It's nice to have options though.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    marjamrmarjamr Member Posts: 26
    Tater said:
    yes, I have an iphone. I purchased the apple HDMI connector and mirror from my phone. Works well so far able to steam whatever is on my phone. 
    This is correct. The Apple HDMI connector works to mirror the iPhone or iPad screen to the tv. You have to remember you must plug the usb part of the connector to a power source like an Apple power block. I use this method. I also use with great success the ROKU streaming stick. Plug the HDMI connector into the back of the tv and the usb cord into the USB port on the tv beside the HDMI port. You can set the ROKU up to use the iPhone as it’s network connection.
  • Options
    Marceline said:

I'm guessing that you realize that unlike the Jensen the LG TV won't run off 12v (battery) power. 

As far as mirroring your iPhone to the TV, in some cases (Netflix for example) you have to be using the actual Apple Lighting-HDMI adapter (not a knock-off) AND have the adapter plugged into a power source in order for the adapter to work properly.  My understanding is that there is some kind of chip in the Apple adapter that handles DRM.
    Thanks for the suggestions.  As far as the TV power source, I got the LG because it was one of the few I could find that has an external power supply.  It's 19v, but I got a 12v to 19v converter on Amazon for ~$20.

I've tried streaming with and without a power supply connected to the adapter, and it doesn't seem to make a difference - still getting the dropped frames. The adapter is supposedly a genuine Apple product. Maybe I'll try another one and see if that works better.

• Options
    BrianZ said:
    In my experience, wireless screen mirroring with our phones has not been 100% reliable like an HDMI cable connection.  The only disadvantage I see with the cable, besides plugging it in, is if you wanted to use the phone port for a memory card reader, such as plugging in an SD card from a DSLR camera to review photos/videos on the tv screen.
    It's nice to have options though.
    I have found it 100% reliable with Android/Samsung and have done it extensively in the T@b.

iPhone technology may not be up to par with Android in this category, though .

• Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.  As far as the TV power source, I got the LG because it was one of the few I could find that has an external power supply.  It's 19v, but I got a 12v to 19v converter on Amazon for ~$20.

I've tried streaming with and without a power supply connected to the adapter, and it doesn't seem to make a difference - still getting the dropped frames. The adapter is supposedly a genuine Apple product. Maybe I'll try another one and see if that works better.

Since you're using a converter I have to ask: Are you sure the TV is working correctly? Does it play over-the-air TV?  

As for the Lightning adapter, if it didn't come in Apple packaging with a $50 price tag it's probably not a genuine Apple adapter. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    marjamr said:
    Tater said:
    This is correct. The Apple HDMI connector works to mirror the iPhone or iPad screen to the tv. You have to remember you must plug the usb part of the connector to a power source like an Apple power block. I use this method. I also use with great success the ROKU streaming stick. Plug the HDMI connector into the back of the tv and the usb cord into the USB port on the tv beside the HDMI port. You can set the ROKU up to use the iPhone as it’s network connection.

Marjamr,

With the Roku stick, are you able to stream downloaded content from Netflix/Amazon/Hulu?
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @fishergary yes that is how I do it......
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    LisaHLisaH Member Posts: 29
    Hello - I need help trying to play a downloaded movie from my iPad to the TV. I was able to do this when we first bought our t@b but I can’t remember how I did it. We have 2018 320s with JWM70A and the original 19” TV. I’m pretty sure I was able to do this on battery power. I have the Apple lightning hdmi adapter. 

I can play a movie on the iPad and hear the sound via Bluetooth through the stereo speakers. But the TV only says “No Signal”. It says that for all source options other than USB. I haven’t tried to play a DVD. 

Thanks for any advice. It’s frustrating since I was able to do this before and now I can’t. 
    2018 T@b 320S Boondock, towed by 2012 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
  • Options
    LisaH said:
    Hello - I need help trying to play a downloaded movie from my iPad to the TV. I was able to do this when we first bought our t@b but I can’t remember how I did it. We have 2018 320s with JWM70A and the original 19” TV. I’m pretty sure I was able to do this on battery power. I have the Apple lightning hdmi adapter. 

I can play a movie on the iPad and hear the sound via Bluetooth through the stereo speakers. But the TV only says “No Signal”. It says that for all source options other than USB. I haven’t tried to play a DVD. 

Thanks for any advice. It’s frustrating since I was able to do this before and now I can’t. 
    I seem to remember that the Apple HDMI adapter needs to be plugged into a power source. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    I was able to play a movie that was downloaded onto my husband's iPad.  Apparently, my iPad is too old and wouldn't connect.  Nothing needed to be plugged into power.  The TV was running on battery.  The iPad was connected to Jensen via Bluetooth. It was also connected via Apple adaptor as HDMI source into the TV. The TV speakers were "off". Yay! I can watch movies again!
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 613
    Great news LisaH.  What app are you using to stream the movies?
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    I tested a movie that was downloaded from Netflix.  I didn't try streaming but don't expect a problem with that since my initial problem was the inability to display anything on the TV. We also tend to camp in areas with poor cell service so streaming is not something I can depend on.  I download movies/series ahead of time from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+ and now the new HBO Max.