That Little Metal Tab

RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

Does anyone know the purpose of that little metal tab that comes attached to the tow chains?  Mine came off sometime during the first trip, so I can't go take a look at it.  I "think" the information stamped on it contains things like towing capacity, or maybe chain capacity.  I was wondering, if that is the case, whether having this information attached to the chains is a requirement.  Any one know?

BTW, I have since installed heavier chains and separated the attach point so they can be crossed when towing.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

Comments

• leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    I took mine off. I recall it had the mfg info and perhaps load limits. It was held on by rusty wire so I can't imagine that it is a requirement. 
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I didn't have one on either my Little Guy 4-wide teardrop or my Silver Shadow. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Yes, flimsy, rusty metal wire as I recall.  Some chains and connectors now have their load capacity stamped on them.  Not something I'm concerned about, but just curious.  Well, I'm concerned about the load capacity, of course, but not whether the information is tagged...unless it turns out to be a requirement.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Larry, I still have mine attached. I will reply tomorrow with a photo if somebody else does not beat me to it. Woof to Booger too!
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
    Thanks, Sally.  Woof back to the hounds.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Never saw one of those on mine - dealer must have removed it.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Mine came off so I keep it in the cupboard in the T@b.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    It's just like the tag on your mattress. =)

The manufacturer is required to attach the tag declaring that the chain is certified to a particular weight limit. Once you have confirmed that the dealer has not supplied a bicycle lock chain, there is no need to keep it.
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
    Mattress tags <- You mean you can remove them?
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited May 2015
    I think I threw it out.  I'll be interested to see the picture for the specs, in case I replace the chains.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    I should have added a smiley :-)
    I do remember people taking those tags seriously and we'd play along as to how it was a weekend in jail if you ripped them off.
    I have all those tags saved in my drawer, in case 'they come for me' - I can glue them all back on quick.

But the new mattress tags have an electronic sensor that reports directly to the NSA....
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    Those new mattress tags also report if you're sleeping around.
    That's why I hide them in the drawer, so they can't see if I'm sleeping at home or not.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    edited May 2015

So glad I was able to provide a platform for some comedic relief. =)

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    I think that per OSHA regulations any chain that is used for LIFTING, MUST have a tag on it that states the weight capacity of the chain. Not sure about safety chains on trailers, but they must have been put there for a reason.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V

I believe you are right.  Any sling (whether made of chain, straps, cables, etc.) used for lifting in a commercial setting must be labeled per OSHA regulations.  They are not going to come inspect a hoist I might have hung over a tree limb or from the roof of my garage, unless I'm being paid by someone to use it on their behalf.

Also, the Federal Department of Transportation/Federal Highway Administration requires chains and other tie downs used on commercial carriers must be tagged (or stamped).  They are not likely to check the strap I use to tie down the lawnmower in the back of my pickup (unless they spot an obvious hazard in passing).

These things I found in my research.  I still didn't find anything pertaining to tow chains used on a travel trailer.  I think this would indicate that there are no requirements after the unit leaves the manufacturer.

As I said before, I'm not really concerned about this other than knowing that my chains (and hopefully, yours) are adequate in case of a breakaway.  It was just something I thought of and curious minds want to know.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    I still have mine. I will post a photo for reference, when I get a chance. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    RZRBUG said:

Does anyone know the purpose of that little metal tab that comes attached to the tow chains?  Mine came off sometime during the first trip, so I can't go take a look at it.  I "think" the information stamped on it contains things like towing capacity, or maybe chain capacity.  I was wondering, if that is the case, whether having this information attached to the chains is a requirement.  Any one know?

I spoke to the factory about this last year and as noted it comes from the manufacturer and can be removed without incident.   But heard that yours was found out on I-80 somewhere near North Platte, Nebraska and that the Department of Homeland Security has a warrant out for your arrest.  Evidently Booger was observed lifting his leg on it at a rest stop, the tag rusted off and fell to the highway, punctured the tire of a semi hauling a load of chickens to a Tyson factory in Waterloo, Iowa....  Well, you know the rest of the story!  smilie    smilie

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    Uh oh.

Those would be happy, 'free range' chickens now, and we all know what the DHS thinks of liberal chickens!

(Did I just bring politics into the forum again?)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    LOL, Mike.  Gives a whole new meaning to road kill dinners.  I bet his tie-down straps/chains did not have that little metal tab either. 

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

Seeing those chickens brought back a childhood memory - We had a small chicken processing plant in town and on the days the trucks rolled in, a few would escape. The plant paid a nickel for every chicken you could catch. A wire hanger with a little loop at the end worked best.
    Of course we always went home broke because the Pepsi bottling plant was right across the street and pop was a nickel.
  • JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    After reading this post today I took mine off, and yes,the wires were rusty, and we don't even have a dog. ( MUST have been Booger) So anyway, the tag states that the chains are good up to a 3500lb.(each) jolt. Should be good.    Thanks for all the info Mike!
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
    Thanks JandJ. 

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    Oh, and BTW, I really was on I-80 near North Pratt, Nebraska last June on my way back from Yellowstone/Grand Tetons.  And come to think of it, seems like that may have been about the time I lost those little metal tabs.  Guess I'll need to detour around that spot next time I'm out that way.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• RadRad Member Posts: 516
    I have seen enough chickens in my day, I grew up on an egg ranch
    So Rad, do you still eat eggs?
  • RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Larry, I still have mine attached. I will reply tomorrow with a photo if somebody else does not beat me to it. Woof to Booger too!
    Ok Larry, so tomorrow turned into a week later. Better late than never I say! Here is the photo of my chain tag (Silver Shadow).  As you can see, mine is hanging precariously by one tether point. Bring on the nightmares of incarceration for little metal tag loss... :-0 
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.

LOL.  I had already forgotten about it.  Thanks.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map