Options

Group 921 Scrubber/Sweeper battery?

Hi all - killed our current battery setup (2 Costco Interstate GC2s) by forgetting to turn off the fridge after our last trip last summer for a week, and despite equalization charges etc have been unable to revive them.  As the snow is melting, it’s time to get the replacements going.  We could just wedge 2 new GC2s in there, but as I’ve been looking, I noticed that many of the quality battery companies make a BCI group 921 “scrubber/sweeper” battery that is taller, but with a narrower footprint than a pair of 6V golf carts.  These are 12V, deep cycle batteries that I’m finding anywhere between 195 and 230 Ah.  I’d pay a premium of about $30-40 over the price of 2 golf carts with similar Ah, but it would give me enough space in the original 320 tub that I could fashion a plexi lid for the battery which would be nice.

I have been doing some searching and not hearing anyone using these in an RV application.  Anyone know anything about these and whether there is a downside I’m missing?
2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,687
    Look here under "Industrial Deep Cycle Batteries" where they discuss batteries of this type and mention their use in floor sweepers.
    The pull quote:
    Most industrial (fork lift) deep-cycle batteries use Lead-Antimony plates rather than the Lead-Calcium used in AGM or gelled deep-cycle batteries and in automotive starting batteries. The Antimony increases plate life and strength, but increases gassing and water loss.  This is why most industrial batteries have to be checked often for water level if you do not have Hydrocaps. The self discharge of batteries with Lead-Antimony plates can be high - as much as 1% per day on an older battery. A new AGM typically self-discharges at about 1-2% per month, while an old one may be as much as 2% per week.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    Thanks @pthomas745!  It actually looks like Lead-Antimony is pretty common for plates on a deep cycle Flooded Lead Acid (eg, Interstate, US Battery) - that post seems to contrast with AGMs.

BUT!  For anyone looking at this for the pre-2021, standard colored plastic (not Boondock) tub - I made a cardboard box that size as a template, and it can’t get down into the tub, so it’s a nonstarter!
    2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota