Upgrade to tab 400 means upgrade tv

mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
We are thinking about selling our 320 that we like a lot and are currently using in Florida, but more  space sounds wonderful as many others have discovered. So that means we will need to sell our 2016 Kia Sorento v6 which is serving us well. I am not really interested in a pick up truck, but was thinking about the Toyota 4 runner. Anyone have experience towing a 400 with a 4 runner v6. Mountains are a must. 
Thanks for any thoughts. 
Mickey & Terri
2016 Max S
Kalamazoo Michigan

Comments

• rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited March 2020
    270hp, 278ft.lb eh?  That's ok, but nothing to get excited about. 
    I don't have any experience with the combination you are considering.
    Personally, I think the Jeep Grand Cherokee has more attractive engine options, in a similarly sized SUV.  I don't have any experience with those either, so I'll just stop rambling on now.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    The 4Runner has a 500 pound hitch weight. Some of the 400's come very close to that weight. Check out Travels with Delaney on YouTube. They sold their 4Runner for a Tacoma. Others didn't think the Tacoma was powerful enough and bought bigger trucks like F150. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• ArizonayetiArizonayeti Member Posts: 26
    I've been towing a 2020 400 with a 2018 4Runner for the past year in Arizona and the Four Corners.  Typically I tow north out of Phoenix which means up and over 8000ft with some pretty steep grades where the semis come to a crawl.  Power is adequate but I wouldn't want to tow anything heavier, and you'll be hard pressed to pass on a two lane road unless it is flat and you are not bucking a wind.  Up the steepest grades to keep 50-60mph, you'll be down in 3rd gear even 2nd with the rpms well over 5000.  That's where the hp peaks.  It can be a bit unnerving the first couple times you tow, but you get used to it and the motor really sings at those revs.  I've never had the temp gauge move up even in really hot Arizona summers.  The 4.0 v6 has been around since 2009 (2010 model year) is rock solid and will run forever, just look at the resale value of 4Runners.  

You will need to add an electric brake controller, but that is just a plug-in addition.  I do not tow with a weight distribution hitch.  My 4Runner is lifted 2in with an aftermarket suspension and larger off-road tires.  I am adding rear Firestone air helper springs to mitigate the sag and not have people flashing me all the time (Not sure how much sag on the stock suspension).  I don't have a sway control device...haven't noticed any sway that is concerning, even cruising down steep grades at 70mph.  

As far as gas milage, it can get down to 11-12mpg towing uphill and or at 70mph, a bit better if you keep it in the slow lane. 

If you search this forum there are some prior discussions on towing with a 4Runner or Tacoma.  Also, you can head over to www.T4R.org and search the 5th Gen forum for towing experiences.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search. 
    2020 T@B 400 BL w/solar.  TV 2018 4Runner w/ Fox 2" lift. 
  • mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
    Thanks arazonayeti that helps a lot. Looking at the grand Cherokee now
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan