Jensen BlueTooth Connection

Ok, so I was able to pair my Jensen with the app on my phone.  I can control the radio AM/FM, but when I try to play stores music, no go.  As soon as I hit play, it switches directly to PAUSE.

anybody see this before?
States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite

Comments

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Have you tried re-pairing it? Remove that pairing and start again... 
    I've noticed that sometimes a pairing in my truck stereo will not bring in the complete set of controls, but when I re-pair, it corrects it.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • NoVaGuyNoVaGuy Member Posts: 95
    @ChanW I know what you mean.  I did try to repair—three times.  Same result each time :(
    States Visited Map

2020 T@B 400 BD Lite
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @NoVaGuy, try disconnecting the shore power and battery (shut off with disconnect switch.)  Leaving the power disconnected for at least a couple minutes.  Then, go through the pairing process again.  Can't guarantee it will fix the issue, but sometimes a hard re-boot does wonders.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    Bayliss said:
    @NoVaGuy, try disconnecting the shore power and battery (shut off with disconnect switch.)  Leaving the power disconnected for at least a couple minutes.  Then, go through the pairing process again.  Can't guarantee it will fix the issue, but sometimes a hard re-boot does wonders.
    This procedure seems to be required so often that I have all but quit trying to use the stereo via BT, esp. since all Alde settings get wiped every time you cycle the battery switch on/off. Contacted Jensen customer support, they were basically zero help (i.e. "cycle the power on/off to fix the problem"). I now just use my JBL Extreme, which sounds better and is likely more efficient, power-wise.
    2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
    Jeff --Front Range of Colorado
  • JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    I used to futz with this each time I wanted to play music from my phone through the Jensen. My Iphone was paired and it showed on the Jensen screen but would not work. My solution I used on my phone had been to forget the Jensen and re-pair it.
    I read the manual (LOL) and tried the procedure on page 16, selecting my phone and pressing the Pause/Play button on the Jensen to play music. This has been working for a few weeks. I have a toggle switch installed in the TV/Radio fuse circuit and have turned the system off several times. Bluetooth remembers my phone even when it is off. YMMV
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Quite frankly, the Jensen unit is substandard. I understand there may not be much out there that can handle the inputs, but really...BT should be, must be, reay easy.  Not pleased with the head unit and resort to my Bose. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @AirBoss no argument there. I also use a Bose speaker most of the time as well. Unfortunately, I left it home on our last outing so I had to make do. 😒
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

Stumbled across something. BT wouldn't pair again. While trying to delete all devices from head unit and repair my phone, I pushed the reset button (small hole next to "menu-enter") while heaf unit indicated my phone is a paired device. Poof...BT back on. Who knows...gremlins in the machine! 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• deucedeuce Member Posts: 47
    JeffroNC said:
    I used to futz with this each time I wanted to play music from my phone through the Jensen. My Iphone was paired and it showed on the Jensen screen but would not work. My solution I used on my phone had been to forget the Jensen and re-pair it.
    I read the manual (LOL) and tried the procedure on page 16, selecting my phone and pressing the Pause/Play button on the Jensen to play music. This has been working for a few weeks. I have a toggle switch installed in the TV/Radio fuse circuit and have turned the system off several times. Bluetooth remembers my phone even when it is off. YMMV
    My Jensen problem is that it won’t pair, doesn’t sense the I-phone on BT at all.

Jensen shows already paired, but won’t connect.

But won’t DELETE the supposed connection either.

i have done both the kill power reboot and paper clip reset above without positive outcome
  • warbler_roadwarbler_road Member Posts: 83
    I think the QC on the Jensen Bluetooth is pretty bad. It constantly forgets my phone, or it shows up as a device but will not connect.

The only remedy I have found is to "forget device" on my phone, RE-START my phone and then re-pair. 

I can always get it to work eventually, but it is always a pain.
    • Virginia
    • 2020 T@B 400
    • 2018 Tacoma SR V6 3.5L
    edited July 2020
    @deuce
    Of all the head units I've ever had or worked with (rental cars, etc), this one is one of the most difficult. 

I noticed one thing that has helped. According to the manual once the radio is on, push the "Pair" button once; when it shows Bluetooth, push and hold the button again to start pairing countdown, then pair your phone/device. 

I mentioned above that while it was in paring mode, I pushed the paperclip reset. For whatever reason, it seem to not only reset but my phone was unpaired and deleted. I also "forgot" teh Jense on my phone. I started over with paring and it worked. 

Dunno...it's a mystery...
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    I fully realize this won't help those with Bluetooth issues on their current Jensen systems, but the new "Cube" model that is installed in the 2021 campers seems to have fixed that issue. 
    The physical dimensions are very different, so it isn't a drop in replacement option from the earlier systems installed by NuCamp...but at least going forward these Bluetooth issues seem to be remedied.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • deucedeuce Member Posts: 47
    edited August 2020
    @AirBoss

you genius !

it was pushing and HOLDING IN the pair button the second time that got me there.

paper clip in reset not needed.

I agree with everyone above that the Jensen, unfortunately, is hard with the issues mentioned but once you have it working.....

Thanks to ALL who replied.

PS - Went to an ace hardware store today and bought “bug fuzz” and installed in windows.   Wish me luck tonight with the Minnesota mosquitoes.
  • 2Jills2Jills Member Posts: 8
    I also had trouble with this.  Initial pairing to my iPhone was fine when I first got the trailer but I was unable to pair it the next time I wanted to use it.  I deleted the Jensen from my iPhone and tried to re-pair but my iPhone could not see the Jensen.  I cycled my iPhone bluetooth off/on, deleted my iPhone from the Jensen device list - all without success.  Last thing I tried was to turn the Jensen bluetooth off/on.  I then tried to pair my iPhone and SUCCESS.  This is not the same as switching the mode to AM or FM.  You have to go into the settings and cycle the bluetooth connectivity.  The manual (referenced below) says that bluetooth is on by default so there is a bit of a draw on the battery when not on shore power.  They suggest turning it off when not needed to conserve power. 

Also, the quick reference guide that comes with the pack of user manuals is useless.  I found a much more comprehensive manual at manualslib.com - just search for JWM70A.
    2020 T@b 400, Build Date 10/2019
    Norcold 3-Way Refrigerator, Factory Victron Solar
    2019 Honda Ridgeline
  • gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    edited August 2020
    Anyone have any info on a replacement for the Jensen?  For me the bluetooth and DVD playing are junk.  Was wondering is anyone has used something like this:

iRV Technology iRV34 

https://www.amazon.com/iRV-Technology-Digital2-1-Surround-Bluetooth/dp/B07CC5PNDS/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3QB14VJ3K8UWJ&dchild=1&keywords=irv+technology+irv35&qid=1597430954&sprefix=irv+%2Caps%2C265&sr=8-5
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited August 2020
    The Jensen radio you have now is a $280 unit, the iRV Tech is going to be a step below in quality and features.  If you want to step up to a better unit, look at the Stereo unit used in the Avia or higher end AirStreams, which are $400 +/- stereo units.  Here is a higher end unit:
    1. Jensen JWM92A 3-Speaker Zones Slimline Theater-Style DVD|USB|AUX|HDMI|App Ready Bluetooth Wallmount Stereo $350-$400.
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    @Denny16 thanks.  I'm just so disappointed in the quality of the Jensen I don't want to buy another one.  Would any of this actually work better just because it costs more?  We literally couldn't play any DVDs last night.  I'm not worried about the price but would like a better quality unit.  Has anyone owned another brand they would recommend?
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    PNW
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    @gspdx
    For the 2021 model year, NuCamp switched to the Jensen 'Cube'...which does not have a CD/DVD player.

https://www.amazon.com/Jensen-JWM20-Bluetooth-Receives-Controls/dp/B082VMQS57

It is very inexpensive, but has been perfect in my 400. I would rate it a solid 8 out of 10. The issue is the size is completely different, so it isn't a drop-in replacement for your system.
    No Bluetooth issues whatsoever for my gear...and it sounds good to very good - and IMHO is more than good enough for a small camper.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
    edited August 2020
    Contact Jensen distributor, they might just replace your unit, if the DVD quit.  Jensen used to be one of the best marine/RV Radios on the market, and were well regarded.  It seems all the small electronics like this have gone down in quality, as more sophisticated computer controlled systems are becoming the norm in mobile entertainment systems.

I have the same Jensen Radio DVD player, and it works just fine.  You could upgrade to a small home style entertainment center like Bang and Olufsen, a friend put one on his small sail boat.   B)
    cheers

• qhumberdqhumberd Member Posts: 470
    @gspdx we have the same unit and bought our 400 one year old and unit stopped playing dvds in the first month. ASA electronic service was very good. Call them and if you are not close to a dealer they may allow a return auth and ship a new unit. Mine was technically out of warranty but they replaced it and I just had to ship broken unit. That was easier but it may break again...

I used this contact for ASA. They were excellent to work with btw

good luck

Tech Service Representative PH: 800-688-3135
    ASA Electronics
    2602 Marina Drive
    Elkhart, Indiana 46514 www.asaelectronics.com

2019  T@B400 Boondock Lite "Todd"

2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
    As mentioned above I've felt this Jensen unit is not what one might consider top-shelf (though I believe I've resolved the Bluetooth issue). Almost all of the RV reviews I've seen on line show the iVR34, a Furion, and typically two or three Jensens' on their top ten list. The Jensen JMW70A is never part of those lists. But I also understand nuCamp has to make choices regarding components so the price point doesn't sky-rocket. 

Jensen is marginally serviceable from an audio standpoint (only tried one DVD but watching a movie while boondocking or with hook ups is not a priority for me) but I also make sure I have the Bose Bluetooth speakers along with me. 

San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

I do not go by internet reviews of the Top Ten which are often based on some one just reading the specs, and not actually using the equipment.  Audio gear is personal, something you need to try and test, we each hear or use things like this differently.  That is why high end Audio Fideo shops have special listening rooms or areas setup to compare this amp or that speaker system.

since DVDs are yesterday’s technology, you are not likely to see the Jensen nüCamp previously used listed in top ten reviews.  It does not even come up on RV Audio System searches, you need to put in the model number to get it displayed in most searches I have done.  
    Cheers 
    I don't use the general "lists." I use those posted by audiophiles, distributors, and others who do actually use the equipment. You're correct about the general internet stuff. I avoid those. 

I'd consider myself a bit of an audiophile so very selective in what I review and what I listen to in the various shops. Several of the "rv" specific reviews and folks like Crutchfield are pretty particular about the equipment they review and those they recommend. 

That said, the sound system in the T@B was not a big issue for me as I knew I'd eventually upgrade it anyway. 

DVD's are the Cassette tapes of the 2000's! Got that right! 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

edited August 2020
    Audio wise I am in the same boat as you are, and I have my own high end audio studio/library, complete with a vinyl collection, and ADat machines, cassette deck and DVD/CD players, along with Video Disk systems.  B)
    Now back to,our regular scheduled program...

Thanks to all on the Bluetooth solution ideas, when I get our TaB400 back from the shop, will try them out, hopefully one will work.
    cheers

Thanks to everyone for the info.  I guess I will need to just make a decision about which way to go.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    PNW
  • McadamanMcadaman Member Posts: 9
    Our 2017 t@b max s has the Jensen unit with CD/DVD, BT and we haven't had any issues. Popped in a CD of our daughter's band, Kerosene Drifters, watched a DVD movie, and listened to our playlists from our phones, Android and iPhone. We do take our JBL Flip 5's also for when we're sitting outside, they can be linked together and put in stereo mode. Let the tunes begin!
  • RetrieverRetriever Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced my old Jensen unit from a 2014 t@b 320 with a new JWM62A that has Bluetooth. I can BT into the unit from my phone, but want to have an external speaker to play the unit radio/CD out to. ASA electronics tells me this unit does not do that which is pretty disappointing. Has anyone found a good way to wirelessly get music from the RV unit to an external speaker? I've seen BT adaptor but don't know if that would sole the issue. 
    If I understand your question correctly, you're trying to wirelessly stream music from the Jensen head unit to speakers outside of the rig? 

If you want to stream tunes from your phone to multiple devices look into apps like AmpMe, Ultimate Ears, and Bose Connect, though be aware they may be device specific (e.g only useable on Android, etc.) and may not pair with the Jensen. 

As for streaming FROM the Jensen to external speakers I believe that's problematic. I'm not familiar with the back panel of your Jensen but it's possible a device like this may connect to the Jensen back panel, turning it into BT unit, capable of streaming TO an external speaker. That said, it's also possible the Jensen could only support the BT external speakers using this device so your wired, internal speakers may not function. Dunno.

If the Jensen has multiple zones I suppose you could use one of those zones and wire jacks located on the exterior of the rig so you could plug externals into those jacks, but that defeats your "wireless" scenario. 

Just some food for thought...
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Retriever said:
    I just replaced my old Jensen unit from a 2014 t@b 320 with a new JWM62A that has Bluetooth. I can BT into the unit from my phone, but want to have an external speaker to play the unit radio/CD out to. ASA electronics tells me this unit does not do that which is pretty disappointing. Has anyone found a good way to wirelessly get music from the RV unit to an external speaker? I've seen BT adaptor but don't know if that would sole the issue. 
    I think there's a way, but I don't know that it's a good way.
    It looks like the JWM62A doesn't have a headphone jack, which is kind of unfortunate.
    It does have a pair of audio output jacks at the back (RCA, I presume). You could plug an audio cable into that and then feed it to someplace more readily accessible via a hole drilled in the bottom or side of the cabinet where the Jensen is mounted. Then you could use an RCA to headphone jack adapter to plug in a Bluetooth transmitter
    . But first you'll have to check to ensure that plugging something into that audio output at the back doesn't automatically disable all the regular speaker outputs.

I also found this device that has native RCA audio jack inputs but I've never used it myself so please don't consider it a recommendation (I've used the Taotronics Bluetooth transmitter). One advantage of the Aluratek device is that it has a built-in rechargeable battery (the Taotronics device needs a 12v power source).

Either one would probably work fine for audio, but AFAIK all of these BT transmitters suffer from latency so they won't work great for playing sound to go with a video that you're watching on the TV. 

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    I have an older model of this transmitter from Amazon

Upgraded TaoTronics Portable Bluetooth transmitter  $20.99  It has a mini stereo headphone plug on it.

It's rechargable.  Comes with charging cable, and a mini headphone jack to stereo RCA plugs.

My old one works great.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL