Always check brake emergency cable after arriving and disconnecting TV

I recently went on a 1 week trip to Florida with my 400 staying at a boondock site. I've got factory solar that typically keeps up with the battery load even in partial sun. On this particular trip, the battery was down to 30% after just 1 day. On the second day, I had to run the generator for hours to get it to 80%. This continued daily for the rest of the stay.

I checked every device I could find to make sure it wasn't accidentally left on or running when it shouldn't. I didn't flip the battery disconnect because it would leave the fridge with no power for an entire day.

When I packed up and prepared to depart, I couldn't move the TAB because the brakes where engaged. The emergency break pin had pulled out when I disconnected the TV after arriving. The brakes were engaged during the entire stay!

I have now added 'Verify that emergency brake cable inserted' to my checklist when arriving and disconnecting the TV.

PS - I'm going to add the Victron SmartShunt so that I can monitor battery drain!
2019 T@B 400 BD Lite / '95 4WD GMC Yukon

Comments

• falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    OOPSIE!
    While we are talking about emergency brakes I'll add my own oopsie.  I was on a road trip with my daughter and son-in-law.  We pulled out of camp and stopped in town for coffee and donuts.  When I pulled out of the parking lot the hitch bottomed out on a driveway apron that was almost as steep as a curb.  I drove another 250 miles to the next campsite.  While setting up I discovered the breakaway cable had been severed.  I assume it happened when the hitch banged the driveway apron.  The braided cable from the factory is stiff and it apparently slipped down under the hitch.  As soon as I could I bought one of those coiled cables.
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    I ran a company which had a fleet of Tacomas pulling trailers daily.  Part of the pre leaving warehouse in morning on routs was to check you emergency brake function by pulling the pin and attempting to roll the trailer.  Afternoon put away checklist was to make sure it was secured properly.  A good habit that's natural for me now.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.