Options

Rear Spare Tire Mounting Area on T@320S

I have a question about the rear underside position where if the spare tire was not mounted to the front jack or the frame, what are the two bolts that are presently there tied to? Is there steel or some other metal backing plate in that area behind them?

The reason I ask is if those two bolts, which would normally hold the spare tire of my 2016 T@320S if it was mounted there, what is the weight capacity (load limit) of the bolts?

It would stand to reason that at some point the T@B320 would likely hit a low spot and the tire and rime would impact briefly until it cleared, so the rear of the trailer would have to endure some form of stress without ripping the underside off.

I am trying to find something to mount that would fit there such as a Class 2 bolt-on receiver that would only carry a bicycle rack at is 30 pounds, and the total weight that those bolts would support would be 135 pounds max.

I gave the Up-N-Front mount a try, but that will not be doable since I have a wireless brake controller mounted in the area where it would mount.

I am exploring other options, but my Ebike weighs 75 pounds so I need something heavy-duty to carry the added weight. I am considering a front-mounted carrier on my Jeep Wrangler too. A tire mounted carrier would not work since the carrier protrudes into the turn radius of the trailer and towing is not recommended with those.

The last option I would do is remove the front wheel of the bike and stow it in the cabin of the trailer.

To give you the perspective of the Ebike here is a link to the unit I have ordered and one that is on its way.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radwagon-electric-cargo-bike

It does have some extra goodies I ordered with it coming so the bike might not even fit through the door of the 320S.
Ballermaris
Tow Vehicle - 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Trailer - 2016 T@B320S

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    I have a question about the rear underside position where if the spare tire was not mounted to the front jack or the frame, what are the two bolts that are presently there tied to? Is there steel or some other metal backing plate in that area behind them?
    Based on 'Factory Tour Pictures' posted by various forum members I believe the standard T@B 320 spare bolts to a piece of plywood that is itself screwed to the sidewall lower metal frame.  This is strong enough to support the 40'ish pound spare but not likely to be a safe mounting point for a bike rack receiver.
    { receiver weight plus bike rack plus bike plus cantilever effect of extensions to get everything to fit = no win }
    However, this is 100% Guessing on my part . . .
    As a Pick-Up Truck owner I can store my (full size) eBike in the truck bed {purchased longer bed size just for that}.  Purchased the Pick-Up because Jeep options on my short list lacked easy eBike and other bulky cargo storage options.  . . . not that any of that helps you ;)
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The T@B frame is not engineered to be strong enough to support the stress of having a receiver mounted to it.  And the T@B floor and the former spare tire mount is not meant to support this stress either. 

A receiver with the weight of an eBike would produce a boomerang effect. If the body of the T@B hits a bump, the receiver and the 75 lb eBike would travel downward, but the T@B would already be starting back up, the receiver would then hit the bottom of its arc and then it would move upward, then downward, etc. 

I still miss my pink Specialized bike (half the weight of your eBike) that was ruined when my bike rack on the rear of my Silver Shadow Teardrop broke due to the boomerang effect.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    BallermarisBallermaris Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for all the replies. I figured that would be the case. I am going to have a front-mounted receiver installed on the Wrangler and use that for the bike carrier. That will give me enough weight capacity support for it.

Thanks for all the help.
    Ballermaris
    Trailer - 2016 T@B320S
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 451
    Not knowing your tow vehicle, there are front receiver hitch options for many vehicles.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Based on 'Factory Tour Pictures' posted by various forum members I believe the standard T@B 320 spare bolts to a piece of plywood that is itself screwed to the sidewall lower metal frame.  This is strong enough to support the 40'ish pound spare but not likely to be a safe mounting point for a bike rack receiver.
    { receiver weight plus bike rack plus bike plus cantilever effect of extensions to get everything to fit = no win }
    However, this is 100% Guessing on my part . . .
    As a Pick-Up Truck owner I can store my (full size) eBike in the truck bed {purchased longer bed size just for that}.  Purchased the Pick-Up because Jeep options on my short list lacked easy eBike and other bulky cargo storage options.  . . . not that any of that helps you

X2 I agree completely. After dragging our spare a couple of times. The mounting plate became loose. I was able to retighten the nuts, but eventually they could pull through. The leverage aspect would make it much worse.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    BallermarisBallermaris Member Posts: 32
    I did additional research on my Wrangler and found an option that will work. As I have a non-standard front bumper from Smittybuilt, I contacted them and they found that a Curt front-mounted hitch I am looking for will work. Stock number 41432 from Curt.  

The install facility will have to do a modification to the underside of the bumper, but it will bolt right up.

That will take the unsprung weight off the trailer.
    Ballermaris
    Trailer - 2016 T@B320S