Options

Tongue rack for recumbent two-wheel bikes

My wife and I will be getting a 320 CS-S, and need to carry two recumbent bikes (two-wheelers not trikes). Does anyone have actual experience carrying recumbents on the tongue with the Swagman Straddler, Up N Front or other products? I have a Hollywood Sport Rack that I will use in the tongue mounted receiver. One concern is there won't be sufficient room to turn the trailer without it jack-knifing into the bikes. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @AaronC, welcome to the forum. I hope one of our resident experts will chime in with some info for you. I can say recumbent bikes have not been mentioned much, or at all in forum discussions. That is not to say no one has any experience, just that it hasn't been discussed yet in my memory. Good luck with this. -Denise 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    I know of another Dutchman T@B owner who travels with one..she ended up putting it in her trailer when she travels..she said she couldn't figure out a solution...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Searching on recumbent found a few mentions, but they were folding and carried in the TVs. Calling real world folks!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I have a Linear Limo recumbent (known for its long wheelbase). The only way I've carried it is on the roof-rack of the TV or in the bed of truck, using a wheel-fork type of rack.

The handlebars stick out from under the seat so it tends to have quite a bit of 'girth'.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited May 2020
    It's awesome we have a bent subcommunity on the forum!  DW has a Terratrike and me a Velotechnik. Both folding trikes we put in the back of the wagon. Doesn't help @AaronC though.

The place below carries a couple other recumbent rack brands besides the ones you mentioned, but I'm not sure if you'd still have to get some aluminum bracing to attach between one of their racks and the trailer tongue:

https://hostelshoppe.com/collections/auto-racks
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I think your best solution is going to be a front mounted hitch receiver on your tow vehicle.  More bugs, but I can't see it working in front of the T@B,  I didn't have room with a double receiver to clear a 2 bike carrier with 2 small bikes.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    edited May 2020
    Yay bents!  

We have a Volae Venture tandem which is a complete beast - 84” wheelbase!  Before the T@B it traveled nicely vertically on a Draftmaster hitch rack.  But we just got a Yakima Sidewinder roof mount for it last summer so we can take it along with the T@B.  
    2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota
  • Options
    AaronCAaronC Member Posts: 57
    Thanks to everyone who commented on this! Much appreciated, and we're eager to pick up our (new to us) TAB as soon as a trip is feasible. 
  • Options
    mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
    We have a recumbent and use the up in front receiver. The rack needs to be reversed so that it points toward the trailer.
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • Options
    AaronCAaronC Member Posts: 57
    Hi Mandt, now that we have the camper, we're experimenting. I actually was able to easily put one TourEasy in the camper, and put my wife's TourEasy on top of it. Amazing that they fit. But it's a hassle to put both inside, and I don't want to damage/nick the interior. I like the UpNFront design. What kind of recumbent do you have and what bike rack do you use?