Options

Need to Hire in Mass/RI/NW CT to install an inline Surge Protector

Would like to hire someone qualified to install this. The labor quotes from RV dealers is so high I think they just don't want such a small job. 2016 CS-S.
2016 T@B Maxx CS-S  following a 2008 4Runner Ltd

Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.-
Paulo Coelho

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Would like to hire someone qualified to install this. The labor quotes from RV dealers is so high I think they just don't want such a small job. 2016 CS-S.
    Any electrician should be able to do this for you. It is a pretty easy install.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I would expect this job to be a couple hours labor charge or so. What kind of quotes were you getting?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    Do why not buy the waterproof in line surge protector? It has a plug and socket. You plug it into the power source and then plug the tab into it. No wiring involved. They work just as well. Save you some $$.
  • Options
    NomadPilgrimNomadPilgrim Member Posts: 111
    Tundra57 said:
    Do why not buy the waterproof in line surge protector? It has a plug and socket. You plug it into the power source and then plug the tab into it. No wiring involved. They work just as well. Save you some $$.

I have the exterior one. The inline is inside the T@B, always on and will shut everything down if there's an issue. I'm getting $679 just 30 amp or $850 with voltage booster plus tax. The part is around $250.00.

Paulo Coelho
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Tundra57 said:

I have the exterior one. The inline is inside the T@B, always on and will shut everything down if there's an issue. I'm getting $679 just 30 amp or $850 with voltage booster plus tax. The part is around $250.00.

That is crazy. It should take less than an hour of labor. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Exactly. The RV places around here are ripoffs.

Paulo Coelho
  • Options
    SolidCamperSolidCamper Member Posts: 20
    Nomad: I just ordered a portable protector from TechnoRV an hour ago. After reading your post, I'm wondering if I should have gone the hardwired route for the reasons that you stated. What is the name of the hardwired product that you have. Were there installation instructions? Thanks.
    MarvinD- Newton, MA, USA  2020 T@B 320S Boondock Lite/ TV: 2013 Chevy Avalanche 
  • Options
    You can look through the forum for various tutorials.  I'll go with a Progressive Industries for 30 amp. It's about $200

Paulo Coelho
  • Options
    gandegande Member Posts: 91
    It’s really quite easy to do yourself. There are good videos on YouTube and a lot of info on this forum. I’m no electrician, by any means, but I was able to install a Progressive Industries protector in less than a couple of hours. In my 2018 400 there is plenty of room under the bed where the power cable comes into the trailer. There was also enough slack in the power cable. 
    gande

2018 T@b 400
    2019 Ram 1500 crew cab / 5.7 V8
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @gande you do have to be a bit of a contortionist, but you are correct in that it is just cut the wire and install the box in between. Hand tools and a bit of time.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite