Options

Question for any Ridgeline owners towing T@B 400 Boondock

ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
I bought a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock yesterday, and will be picking it up at Beckley's in MD in two weeks. I called NuCamp and they said the top of the ball height for the T@B 400 Boondock is 21.25".
I'm assuming the Ridgeline will squat 1 - 2 inches...can anyone verify that?
What type of drawbar are you using - straight out, rise, or drop? The top of the Ridgeline receiver is 18" I believe.
Thanks in advance for sharing!
-Chris
After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    for general reference
    Ignore the 320S Numbers . . . Focus on B - A = C
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    @MuttonChops
    Thanks, I got that...
    But I'm looking for any firsthand knowledge of how much squat figures into the 'A' dimension for this particular combo.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    Still not 'first hand' knowledge but . . .
    Have you checked your TV owners manual.
    2017 Ridgeline has this table
    With 400 tongue load seems you will be around 2+ inches rear sag.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    @MuttonChops

The printed manual that came with the car doesn't have that info...but I do see it online now. Thanks, that is very helpful.

• Options
    @MuttonChops
    NuCamp uses uses a 2" ball on their T@B trailers, yes?
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited May 2020
    Yup, 2"
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    And you will need a brake controller.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    @Denny16
    Already installed a Redarc trailer brake controller. It's a very nicely engineered bit of kit.
  • Options
    yes, yes it is... I am looking at getting one also.
    cheers
  • Options
    kellywkellyw Member Posts: 56
    ChrisFix said:
    I bought a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock yesterday, and will be picking it up at Beckley's in MD in two weeks. I called NuCamp and they said the top of the ball height for the T@B 400 Boondock is 21.25".
    What type of drawbar are you using - straight out, rise, or drop? The top of the Ridgeline receiver is 18" I believe.
    -Chris
    So your the one who snagged it! 😂 I was looking at the same trailer at Beckley’s lol and ironically just bought a Ridgeline TV today in preparation for upgrading my 320 to the 400. Congrats on the new 400! 😊 I’m hoping they will get more 2021’s in soon. 
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock White/White; TV: 2020 Honda Ridgeline 
    2015 T@B Sofitel Silver/Silver;  TV: 2011 Honda Pilot
    Maryland's Eastern Shore - Ravens, Crabs, Bohs & O's!

Traveling with Violet Bean, most of the time...
  • Options
    @kellyw
    That is too funny. 
    I've purchased this one:
    https://www.beckleysrvs.com/product/new-2021-nucamp-rv-tab-400-std-dot-model-1185205-102?utm_source=website&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=getlowestprice

Is this really one you were looking at as well?

I got the Ridgeline two weeks ago, and have really enjoyed it. Smooth, quiet, comfortable, and quick. From all my research, it is a fantastic TV for this size of trailer - and a nice 'car' when not towing. I've looked/researched/debated for over two years about getting a camper, and have long ago landed on the T@B 400. With the air conditioning concerns expressed about the 2020 models, and with 2021 models being rare for a while with Covid shutting down production, when we saw this one at Beckley's,  my wife said just do it...

• Options
    ChrisFix said:
    @kellyw
    That is too funny. 
    I've purchased this one:
    https://www.beckleysrvs.com/product/new-2021-nucamp-rv-tab-400-std-dot-model-1185205-102?utm_source=website&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=getlowestprice

Is this really one you were looking at as well?

I got the Ridgeline two weeks ago, and have really enjoyed it. Smooth, quiet, comfortable, and quick. From all my research, it is a fantastic TV for this size of trailer - and a nice 'car' when not towing. I've looked/researched/debated for over two years about getting a camper, and have long ago landed on the T@B 400. With the air conditioning concerns expressed about the 2020 models, and with 2021 models being rare for a while with Covid shutting down production, when we saw this one at Beckley's,  my wife said just do it...

I sure was! :-) Beckley's is great and my T@b 320S came from there too. If you haven't already, check out Paul the Air Force Guy on You Tube from Beckley's - he does some great videos. I bought my Ridgeline for exactly the same reasons! I tried the F150 and others but I didn't want a "truck" look so much and I'm short so I didn't want something I was going to have to get a ladder to get in and out of lol. You will not be disappointed with a NuCamp product! They are absolutely fantastic and treat their customers like family. If you get a chance visit the factory one day - usually you can do this by attending UCamp (the rally) but sadly it was cancelled due to COVID this year. None the less - your adventures are just beginning and you will have zero buyers remorse. I love my 320 but it's getting a little cramped (with BF and Bulldog tagging along). I was seriously considering the clamshell version but I finally decided that a 400 would suit better longer term. Since I already have "The D@wg House" (320s) - I can wait till the factory reopens - I'm that set on getting one and I have the 320S to ride out COVID delays in production. I too want the coolcat so 2021 it is for me too. I still think that the 2020's with the Air8 issues will be resolved by NuCamp - they don't leave people hanging. Good honest people that take tremendous pride in their product and service. But I like the external propane hookup and a few other features on the 2021 model. Just trying to decide between the BDL and Standard option now. I like the idea of solar but I don't know if I'd use it - but I'm trying to think long term and when retirement time rolls around I'd like to take advantage of BLM and other boondocking sites out west and not always have to rely on the grid. For now, I'm still a full or partial hookups gal. I can rough it for a few days but my bulldog isn't having it. She's a bit of a princess - don't let the mug fool you. You must be close to MD if you went to Beckley's. I'm on the eastern shore (barely) on Kent Island - across the bay bridge. Post pics of your setup when you can those are always fun to see and MD has opened camping back up - although I'm having a hard time rebooking reservations because the websites haven't gotten them memo yet. ;-)

• Options
    Michael49Michael49 Member Posts: 140
    edited July 2020
    ChrisFix said:
    -Chris
    This our Ridgeline / 400 combo and our hitch.....
    Edited for photo size.

Former T@B 400 owner, now thinking about a 320. 2019 Honda Ridgeline.
  • Options
    @kellyw
    Thanks for the kind words. And I love your Bulldog Violet Bean...I can see how a little extra space would be nice  :).
    I'm a few hours away from Beckley's, but I knew their reputation before talking to them, and they live up to the hype...simple and straight forward, and a competitive price.
    Good luck with your future endeavors and T@B 400 adventures!
  • Options
    @Michael49
    Nice looking rig...
    Mine will be the white version of yours...white Ridgeline, white and gray trim T@B 400.
    My calculation is that I'll need a 2" rise for the Ridgeline and Boondock T@B 400 (which sits higher than the standard 400) combo.

• Options
    @ChrisFix
    Ok now I really Look forward your seeing your combo - I have the white Ridgeline too. Too funny. I still haven’t decided which color combo to get but thought about white on white but that may be too much white. 😊 It would be a blank slate to decorate though. 🤔 I have the silver/gray now - maybe a silver and white would work. Anyone out there have those color combinations?

• Options
    Michael49 said:
    ChrisFix said:
    -Chris
    This our Ridgeline / 400 combo and our hitch.....

Your hitch looks a little high, the trailer is not level, try dropping the Ball one notch to the next lower holes, this will help eliminate the tendency of any sway.  You want the trailer frame level, or nose slightly down, rather than up.
    cheers