Options

Wicked grabby brakes!

jojoperkjojoperk Member Posts: 10
Hey, fun folks! My kiddo and I just returned from our maiden voyage in our as-yet-unnamed 2015 S-Maxx. LOVED IT!! However, I noticed, especially at low speeds, the brakes are so so grabby. Like, face into the steering wheel grabby. Should I turn down the gain, or is this something that gets better with time? I'm afraid of turning it down TOO much and losing the braking power. This forum, BTW, is a lifesaver!! My dealer, while nice, had no freakin' idea about the T@b. As in, "I have no idea what this button does". Etc. I spent a day perusing this forum and it was so helpful! I hadn't had a wet bath before (previously had a popup), so even learning to dump the tanks was new for me. You're all great!!
Michelle, Bar Harbor, ME--2015 Toyota Tacoma, 2015 T@b S-Maxx

Comments

• Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    I too had "grabby brakes" at low speed.  My dealer adjusted our controller when we picked up our (first) trailer. I was bothered by the trailer braking, so I read the manufacturer literature closely and found several good videos by searching the net for adjusting electric brake control.  I then adjusted the controller myself and found the sensitivity set to a little less than half that set by the dealer.  I also set the boost to none and all is working fine now. 
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    Thanks, Gil! I have a fine-tuning dial that I will play with. I'm just worried about turning down too much--it's fine at higher speeds. Some people have commented elsewhere that they adjust based on speed, kind of on the fly, which I don't know if I'd be comfortable with.
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    jojoperk - is your brake controller time delay, or proportional? I adjust my time delay controller based on speed; at lower speeds I reduce the max power to the brakes. At those lower speeds I'm more frequently putting on the TV brakes lightly, but since my controller isn't proportional, it'll always go to the max setting on the trailer brakes. By reducing the max power, I'm more closely matching my "normal" TV braking.  If I don't adjust them down, they get grabby...
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    I'm not honestly sure. It has a power wheel adjustor on one side (RV dealership said I would never need to adjust it) and a level wheel on the other for fine-tuning. In looking at a YouTube video from the company (Tekonsha), the recommendation for grabbiness is to incrementally dial down on the level wheel.
  • Options
    OK, I believe it's proportional...
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    How much did the controller cost? Proportional are more expensive. I have the real cheaply and it has a wheel on the side like yours and a leveler. I've never been able to get it adjusted to my satisfaction and usually have it off on open, level terrain. In the mountains I adjust as I descend till they feel right. Thinking of replacing it.
  • Options

Tekonsha Voyager Brake Control Controller RV Camper

[S058-968331]
    Manufacturer's Number: 9030
    $87.29 $78.95
    Calculate Shipping
    Voyager uses Tekonsha's patented braking sensor for smooth and secure trailer braking. Compact size and features, like a bi-colored LED brake monitor (to assure a complete connection to trailer brakes and give an indication of relative braking power being applied) make the Voyager extremely versatile. Minimizes interference with tow vehicle electrical systems, uses a four-wire hook up, has a broad setting range and is compatible with most any vehicle. Use Voyager for 2, 4, 6 & 8 brake trailers.

Not for use on 2013 Dodge Ram

• Options
    So, yeah, it's the cheapy, too--it was listed as proportional on one ad, but it isn't, I don't believe.
  • Options
    I find the lighter my T@B is loaded, the harder it is to get an adjustment also. Fully loaded and going down a grade I can tune it in but the minute I level out at the bottom it's too much brake so off it goes.
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    All Tekonsha controllers are proportional. The Prodigy series does not need to be adjusted for level, as it does that automatically. The lower models, including the Voyager, need to be adjusted for level. Level is in terms of being level with flat ground, not in terms of power. If the controller is not set correctly for the angle in which it is mounted, it may act as if you are heading downhill and braking hard. I have the P3 and it's amazing. It really does an excellent job of adjusting power based on the forward G force created by braking. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    mawebb said:
    All Tekonsha controllers are proportional. The Prodigy series does not need to be adjusted for level, as it does that automatically. The lower models, including the Voyager, need to be adjusted for level. Level is in terms of being level with flat ground, not in terms of power. If the controller is not set correctly for the angle in which it is mounted, it may act as if you are heading downhill and braking hard. I have the P3 and it's amazing. It really does an excellent job of adjusting power based on the forward G force created by braking. 
    I remember with the old 6 pin electric brake controller I had on my truck; it was an issue to have the unit leveled way back when. I wondered about this when my new one was installed in my current vehicle. It is NOT level. I may have to reposition. Thanks for the info!!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Patti said:
    Do these controllers come with the T@B? I have become very confused about what we need to buy beyond what the dealers usually toss in.
    Does not come with the T@B. Dealers rarely "toss in" because of labor and different vehicle types (my sis' Ford Explorer blew one up - complete with smoke - because of unique wiring in her model/yr TV. Dealer mistake). You can get a brake controller and the 7-blade connector pre-installed before picking up your T@B at a U-haul or similar place. It'll make your time spent at the RV dealer shorter if they don't have to install the controller/wiring/connector.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    My dealer didn't do installs so they recommended I get it installed before showing up to get the T@B - Had a big uHaul shop do it. They had options on what controller to install, not knowing anything about them I just got the cheaply. Wish I'd gotten a proportional like everyone here recommends.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I bit the bullet and bought the wireless one for $308 on Amazon. I've read enough here to know I didn't waste my money. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”