Proven Lock on a 2021 320

JT4JT4 Member Posts: 42
edited May 2020 in Products and Accessories
We expect to receive our 2021 T@B 320 within the next week or two.  I want to be ready with a few things as we expect to camp right away.  I realize there are a few good coupler locks out there like the Fort Knox but I intend to buy the Proven Industries.  I believe the 2178-A is the correct one right?   Assuming so can someone confirm that works with the 2021 as well?  I am looking for yes, I know it does, I have seen or done it.   Not that it should.  Thanks!

Comments

• JT4JT4 Member Posts: 42
    My apologies but initially I wrote Progressive but I meant Proven.  I got confirmation of the 2178-A model on a FB T@B forum.  I went ahead and ordered one just now,  Very excited to get our new T@B.  FYI, we had a Little Guy T@G for a short while.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,484
    Congrats!  The 2021 models are such a nice overhaul.  I like a lot of the features.  That lock will help you rest easy.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • JT4JT4 Member Posts: 42
    FYI.  I ordered my 2178-A directly from Proven and it shipped immediately the next day the 21st.  I chose the cheapest flat fee freight which happened to be USPS and I picked it up today (Monday) in the locker at the post office.  We are in Jackson, Wyoming so our post office boxes are accessible even today.  That is darn fast coming from Florida!
  • gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    I use that lock. Does it help?  I don't know.  Nobody has stolen our trailer yet!

Good luck with the new trailer!
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • HouliganHouligan Member Posts: 9
    @JT4 - Did the 2178-A fit on your hitch?  I also got the 2178-A today and it won't fit.  The plate that goes into the ball socket that holds the chains is too short.  The tab that sticks up in the back needs to be about 2" further back because it hits on that plate underneath.
    2021 T@B 320 CS-S Boondock
    Pacific NW
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,587
    Houligan said:
    . . .  got the 2178-A today and it won't fit.
    The plate that goes into the ball socket that holds the chains is too short.
    Odd.  Could you provide some pictures.  Maybe you don't have the 2178-A.
    Am not aware of NuCamp changing the coupler on recent model years.
    2178-A fits my 2018-yr like a glove.

Also, FYI.
    Chains go in space under the plate that is held in place by the coupler (like a tow ball)
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
    The first pic I have the tab circled that is hitting on the plate pointed out in the 2nd pic.  So when I try to install it, its tilted like in the 3rd pic.  Maybe the chains around the flat "ball" are pushing the back.  I thought I tried it with the chains off, I will have to check again.  But the purpose of this is to have the chains hooked around the flat "ball" to secure the chains as well.

Pacific NW
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited November 2020
    Houligan said:
    The first pic I have the tab circled that is hitting on the plate pointed out in the 2nd pic.  So when I try to install it, its tilted like in the 3rd pic.  Maybe the chains around the flat "ball" are pushing the back.  I thought I tried it with the chains off, I will have to check again.  But the purpose of this is to have the chains hooked around the flat "ball" to secure the chains as well.

Actually, the chains do not wrap around the flat ball, they go in the compartment below that. You insert the flat ball plate, then lower the coupler latch. Bring the larger piece up, and stuff the chains in that lower compartment via the provided notches. Then slide the larger piece into place. Secure with the puck lock.

It took me a few tries to get the routine down, but it does fit (at least on earlier models, and I’ve not heard of it not fitting a 2021.)
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    Thank you, that's the issue then.  I remember watching a video on the 2178 where the chains go around the flat ball.  Then later when I placed the order, I determined I needed the 2178-A and never watched the video for that one.  I was wondering why the flat ball was so short on this one, lol.
    Pacific NW
    edited November 2020
    A pic (pardon the edit, overexposed so you can see how the chains fit into that lower section). I was apparently lazy when I put it on last time, chains aren’t as tight as usual. Also, chains HAVE to be inserted before you fully slide the upper piece on, I’ve been unable to do it after, or even simply stuff a bit more in. 

2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    UPDATE - I just went to try it out again and verified that plate does not fit, its about 1/2" to 3/4" too long and hitting on that bottom plate.  Must be a minor change in the 2021 models?  I already heard back from Proven Industries and they said they have another customer with the same issue and are working on a new plate for them.  At least they have great customer service.
    Pacific NW
    Houligan said:
    UPDATE - I just went to try it out again and verified that plate does not fit, its about 1/2" to 3/4" too long and hitting on that bottom plate.  Must be a minor change in the 2021 models?  I already heard back from Proven Industries and they said they have another customer with the same issue and are working on a new plate for them.  At least they have great customer service.
    Interesting! And good to know. 
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,587
    Houligan said:
    UPDATE . . . heard back from Proven Industries and they said they have another customer with the same issue and are working on a new plate for them.  At least they have great customer service.
    Thanks for the update.
    Appears the Atwood Coupler itself has changed.
    Prior year couplers do not have the extra "bottom plate" welded on the coupler so there in spcae for the Proven Lock Plate Tab.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    You could have the rear tab on the coupler cut down or off. So it will fit the. Ew coupler design.  Also try reaching out to Proven Industry for a solution.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    I have some updates...Norco BAL said the distance from the front of the hitch to the front of the bottom welded plate is 5.55”, where on my hitch is only 4.5”.  So the 2178-A lock should have fit.  They said they will send me a new hitch if I return the original one.  I’m curious if anyone else has a hitch with the bottom plate only 4.5” back.
    Pacific NW
  • jonnjonn Member Posts: 31
  • mjwaldnermjwaldner Member Posts: 44
    I have a 2021 Tab 400 BD and just received the 2178-A. Same problem, I can not get it to fit. It looks like that back tab on the plate is the problem. I'm going to take a look at it again in the AM and see if I can figure out what's keeping it from fitting. I was surprised by the size and weight of it. Looks like a great lock if it fits.
    2021 400 BD / 2019 Honda Passport Elite / Nashville, TN
  • TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221
    I have model #2516 and it works just fine on the 2021 tab 320 s

Tabnero said:
    I have model #2516 and it works just fine on the 2021 tab 320 s

check that, not sure what model it is as it is not labeled and is 5 yrs old. Orange puck lock. looks like model 2178
    The drawing in my earlier post I received from Norco is not correct, nuCamp measured a few in the factory and they also measured 4.5”.

I have been working with Proven Industries on the measurements, they are making me a new locking plate that should work.  I should have it in the next week or 2.

@Tabnero - I assume you mean model 2516-E ?  Also do you measure 4.5” from the front of the hitch to the bottom welded cross plate ?
    Pacific NW
    check that it is shaped like just the 2178 model no letter designation
  • TomCanadaTomCanada Member Posts: 286
    @Houligan or @mjwaldner do you know if there's a way to buy the right part off-the-shelf without subsequent customized plates from Proven?  We're expecting our '21 400 in late February & I was hoping to order the lock to be ready..
    Before you order, call Proven to tell them you have the 2021 400 hitch and they will tell you the correct one.  They are shipping me the solution now.  Not sure if it will have a new model # or not.  Sounds like they have it solved, as they also don’t want to make customized pates.
    Pacific NW
    Fyi I received this response from Proven today.  Sounds like we are good to go!

We have been made aware of the issue and it has been corrected. You should not have any issue going forward with the Model 2178-A. The Norco specs where just incorrect when sent to us and we have since corrected the problem part of the lock (:
  • kkfouchekkfouche Member Posts: 16
    I ordered the 2178-A from Proven and was convinced that it wouldn't fit because of the problem mentioned above with the plate. With a bit more muscle and giggling, it went in. I just hung the hook of the chain over the slot and they are covered and can't be removed. The lock seems like an overkill for a teardrop, but I feel certain it will stay in place. 
    2021 Tab 320 Boondock
    VW Atlas
    Asheville, NC
    I received their new solution to the plate yesterday and tested it today.  It fits good now.  You probably received the new plate, it’s probably works for all hitch versions that use the 2178-A.
    Proven was great to work with on this issue.
    Pacific NW
    They're quite responsive - placed my order today - now I just need the trailer - 2 more months! :)
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    kkfouche said:
    The lock seems like an overkill for a teardrop, but I feel certain it will stay in place. 
    To the contrary, imho, more is better because they are teardrops...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
    edited January 2021
    We received our 2178-A today. No trailer yet though so if anyone can confirm this looks like the "right" plate it would be appreciated!  Distance from the problematic tab to the end of the flat ball is around 3.5" so it seems right (since it's less than the 4.5" people are measuring from front of the coupler to the interfering cross-member plate) but if anyone can second this, I would feel more confident it's right.