Options

Who has done the table mod?

Is there anyone in the Denver Colorado area who has done the Dale Helman telescoping table mod that I could hire to do it on my Tab?  

2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
Woohoo!

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    This table mod originated with PopT@b who has since moved on. Here are his original instructions. They are very detailed and if followed will produce excellent I like the new Lagun table mounting system, except for two things, the high price just for the mount, with no table and you still have a post in the middle of your bench. We have been using a fold up table and it works fine, but I wanted something that was there when you need it and out of the way when you don’t. So here is what I did in my T@B Max S. I used a Barkan Flat panel TV mount model #34F which can support 77lbs ($50.00) and the top from a Mainstay folding table I was using from Walmart ($15.00), and some hardware ( under $10.00).The hardest part to this whole process is you will need to reinforce the wall below the TV, there is a piece of ½” plywood in the wall at the bottom of the  hole where the TV mounts and behind the support rail for the bench at the bottom of the wall. The wall between the two is just paneling. Here’s how I did it, I removed the TV and mount so I could get into the wall at the top, then I removed the seat cushion and the plywood panel under it.  I cut the hole below the support rail bigger to gain more access into the wall at the bottom.  I cut a ½” piece of plywood 8” x 10” slid it down the wall thru the TV mounting hole, then cut a ¾” x 4”x 30” long board to back the plywood piece. This board is very hard to get in and down the wall, you will need to bow the wall out and tap the board down in. It will go, but it is a struggle. Once you have the two pieces in the wall, reach in from the bottom and set the ½” x 8”x 10” piece of plywood on top of the ½” piece of plywood that is already there supporting the bench rail, then take the 30” long board and put a 1 5/8” wood screw in it at the top, to hide this screw I put it between the bungee cord plastic loop below the TV mount ( see picture ), then at the bottom reach in and angle the board over towards the entrance door, you will need 2 ½ ” long wood screws, I put the 2 ½” screws thru the bench rail, the ½” plywood for the support rail and the bottom of the new 30” board, I put in 3 screws. Then back at the top, I used longer screws to reinstall the plastic bungee loop, so they would reach thru the plywood and into the new 30” board which also gave me 3 screws in the top. So what you get is a board mounted solid at the top and bottom to the existing wall with a filler board (the ½” x 8” x10”) setting on top of the plywood for the bench support rail. When I mounted the TV wall mount I used 5- 1 5/8” wood screws, make sure the screws go thru the wall, the new ½” piece of plywood and the new 30” long board. I put in one screw, then pulled the TV mounting arm out to make sure it was level and then I installed the rest of the screws, then installed the cover. You will need to notch out the plywood for the seat base to accommodate the new mount. Now for the modifications to the TV mounting arm is you will need to take off the mounting post on the end of the arm. ** Please note if you want the table height at 28” from the floor you will need to cut 3” out of the center of the post and weld the post top back on, if not the table height will be 31”** and reinstall it on the top side of the arm, remove the two metal brackets that limit the tilt, I installed a ¼” x 4” turnbuckle in their place with a removable pin on the bottom hole. This will allow you to tilt the table 90 degrees. Now onto the table, I removed the legs, mounted the TV mounting bracket to the bottom of it, the outer rim of the table has a metal rail molded into it, be sure you get your mounting screws into the metal. Then install the table to the TV mounting arm, tilt the table flat, install the pin thru the turnbuckle, then thru the hole in the TV mounting post. Use the turnbuckle to level the table.  To store the table remove the pin, tilt the table , swing around under the TV pull out the TV and while pushing the table back under the TV,  tilt it vertical and push flat against the wall, push the TV back and the table is stored out of the way. 

1. Hash  T@B Fun