Swagman Straddler #80503 Front Hitch 2 Bike Carrier

is anyone using this Bike Carrier and are you happy with it?

Comments

• AaronCAaronC Member Posts: 57
    I have the same question. Inquiring minds want to know!
  • XenanMeXenanMe Member Posts: 73
    I don’t have the Swagman but I do have the Stromberg-Carlson rack that is very similar installed on my Tab 400.  It works well but there are two caveats. 1. You can’t open the front tub because the top of the rack covers it.  This makes accessing the propane very difficult.  2. Depending on the bike rack you use, if have an SUV or a canopy the front bike will make contact with the vehicle during any sharp turns. This isn’t an issue if you have a pickup truck without a canopy and the rack clears the bed.
  • bfeenybfeeny Member Posts: 24
    Update August 9/20. I purchased the Swagman Straddler and although it was very  well constructed, it did not work on the front of my 2018 CS-S. Because of the size of the fiberglass front cover I could not install the Straddler close enough to the trailer so the bikes would clear the tow vehicle (2018 Ford Escape) for turning. I'm very pleased with my Swagman bike carrier but unfortunately the Straddler does not work on my Tab
    Swagman was excellent to deal with and accepted my returned bike carrier and processed my refund very quickly
    edited September 2020
    Edited for photo size.

Here's our setup with the Stromberg hitch mount and Hollywood Sportrider bike rack on our 2016 CSS. I can access the tub w/bike rack attached. I have a 16" length ball mount, which provides ample room to turn w/o any risk of jack-knifing into the bikes when they're attached, and can open the hatch on our 2014 Ford Escape. It all tows beautifully. The Stromberg is a good piece, although measure five times, cuz you only get to drill once when it comes to your final install of the curved support bars and top cross member. (Not hard to drill, but you can't rewind the video and start over (:  The thing is this, you mount the Stromberg hitch mount forward on the tongue, NOT at the back near the trailer body. That's the beauty of the Stromberg, you can mount it wherever you want it. 

Here's another view, from the side....

THanks Aaron. Looks like a better system. I am in Canada and I don'rt think Stomberg is available here. Have to wait until they open the border!!! What are you towing with? Looks like my Escape.
    Yes, 2014 Escape w/factory tow package and Ecoboost turbo (an excellent engine, BTW). It's a fabulous combo.  
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited August 2020
    You do know that hitch extension is One large lever, pushing your Escape rear end down, and reducing your vehicle tongue weight limit.  Not a safe setup.
    cheere
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
     I have a 2018  Escape with factory tow package and the 2.0 Litre Ecoboost. Great combination that I have been very happy with. Lots of  towing power but reasonable gas mileage without the T@B.
    We use a 16" length ball mount, not a hitch extender. Interestingly, unlike a hitch extender, which cuts tongue wight capacity by 50 percent, a long ball mount does not reduce capacity, according to multiple sources (there's a lot on etrailer.com about this). We have noticed no impact on towing with this setup. Our Ford has 3500/350 lb. towing/tongue weight capacity; our TAB loaded for camping (with bikes up front) is at about 2100/280 for trailer weight/tongue weight. In fact, the Ford doesn't squat at all when I hitch the trailer. I'll be watching all this closely though, as we have zero interest in getting into avoidable trouble!!