Keder Rail

RCBRCB Member Posts: 190
In replacing the front window on a 400 this morning, I found most screws on the rail were somewhat loose and took a 1/4 to 1/2 turn to tighten. The question is why were they loose. I think perhaps they have loosened as result of wind caused vibrations from the rail mounted awning. So perhaps another annual maintenance item.
400 - 2019
St Catharines, ON

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Yes, it is an annual/semi annual maintenance item we all do. There is a writeup about it probably from the 2015/16 era of this T@B forum. It just happens and we accept it. It gives us an opportunity to look at all of our T@B to see if there are any other items that need taken care of. 

I’m glad you found it before the screws were lost. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 455
    With the new design of the 2021 is it likely this will continue to be an issue? This Thursday we'll be picking it up.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @MarkAl, there are many exterior screws, not just the Keder rail. NüCamp considers this to be an annual owner maintenance item. It doesn’t take long to tighten all the screws. 

I have not seen the new Keder rail, so I can’t comment on it specifically.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 455
    Thanks and Uh oh, "many"? I assume then it's when you're going over the trailer during it's "annual inspection" I've added rodent entry (after Mandy's wake up on rodents) now to add tighten screws... good to know! My Annual Inspection list is growing what with brakes/bearings and caulking.. (as a pilot - my various trailer checklists are growing also).
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    edited June 2020
    I'll go out and do this today, just for fun.  The first time I did this three years ago I found what I thought was a lot of loose fasteners, the next couple of times there were not too many. 
    Edit:  I did this little "chore" this morning, and some screws were "loose" but nothing major. Only one seemed like it might be an issue down the road:  at the very end of the Keder rail, the last screw seems to have "stripped".  Its still holding, but I'm guessing the stress of the visor pulling on the rail is strongest at the end of the rail.
    The screws on the plastic "cladding" on my Outback were all "loose", but you really can't screw them down very hard without endangering the plastic.  On one of the corner handles on the front, I actually tightened a bit too much and the head of the screw went through the thinner plastic.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi