Options

SHOW US WHERE YOU YEARN TO RETURN

BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
During this Stay at Home period, I have been watching Ken Burns' series, "The National Parks: America's Best Idea" on PBS.  If you have never seen it, it is definitely worth watching.  Check your local PBS station to see if it is currently playing in your area.  It brought back great memories of visiting Crater Lake National Park, which we visit every year or so.  The below photo was taken from behind their historic Lodge.  Where do you yearn to return?

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
(Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

Comments

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Big Bend National Park...we did a drive thru of the Maxwell Scenic Drive...had the T@g and not ready for our first time no hookups... we'll be back and do T@bazona again...so beautiful...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    One of our most favorite spots overlooking the Blue Ridge Mountains - Grayson Highlands state park in SW Virginia.  The campground is on the peak rising at left which is the second highest elevation in Virginia.

Looking south into NC; TN would be off to the right.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    edited March 2021
    @BaylissTwo Thumbs Up.  Great Idea.

Greater Mojave Desert Area for me. I grew up in New Mexico, Mojave area is very different from the high plateau desert in NM.  There is something about the combination of harsh conditions, vast distances, yet a full range of life and terrain keeps me wanting more. 
    Will limit visits to the cooler (at times cold) snowbird months of course.

After recent trip learned Mojave National Preserve has largest Joshua Tree Forest on earth . . . only visited one small stand while there . . .

Now when we talk about non-National Park areas there is a growing list of must returns as well with American Prairie Reserve (Montana) at the top of the list.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Forgive me...a few choose from:
    First up, I will be returning to this location for an 8-day adventure starting in early July. Twin Lakes, CA., in the northern Sierra Nevada range:

Grand Prismatic in Yellowstone NP:

Apache Slot Canyon outside Page, AZ:

"Carhenge" outside Alliance, NE. (if you go, stop in at Ken & Dales restaurant for the BEST Bloody Mary you'll ever have!):

2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    A place called the Grandview Campground, at 8600 feet In the Inyo Mountains, about 20 miles east of Bishop, Ca. I need to go back and get this photo done correctly!  So wonderfully dark that even a quarter moon was bright enough to read by.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    @pthomas745
    Nicely done! Just started getting into nightsky photography a couple years ago. What type of gear are you shooting with?

Here's a few from a camping excursion to Anza-Borrego Desert SP, CA last year.: 

San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    Mine are with a Canon 7d MK2 and a Tokina 11-16 f2.8.  I learned everything I know from Lonely Speck and all their nightsky tutorials.  I'm getting better at it after about 7 years, and it is fun to work on, and some of the results are great.  I need some focus stacking skills.  I've managed to pull off Milky Way shots almost everywhere I've camped, some places are better than others.  This shot is Alabama Hills out behind Lone Pine.

2017 Outback
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    @AirBoss Twin Lakes looks gorgeous. Any tips? Best campsites etc.
    I’ll be on the other side of the ridge at Huntington Lake in July but I’ve been meaning to do an Eastern Sierra trip. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    @Marceline
    Usually head up to Annett's Mono Village at the far end of the upper lake. Last I checked it was FCFS in an RV. This trip I'm staying at Twin Lakes Resort, which in the lower lake. Both have boat rentals, store, etc. Will lgive a report when I return.

Also spending one night on way up and two on return leg in Alabama Hills area. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    Mine are with a Canon 7d MK2 and a Tokina 11-16 f2.8.  I learned everything I know from Lonely Speck and all their nightsky tutorials.  I'm getting better at it after about 7 years, and it is fun to work on, and some of the results are great.  I need some focus stacking skills.  I've managed to pull off Milky Way shots almost everywhere I've camped, some places are better than others.  This shot is Alabama Hills out behind Lone Pine.

Big fan of Lonely Speck. Use Stellarium App to assist.
    I shoot with two Canon 5D Mk III's. Battery grips, Sigma lenses: 18mm 1.4, 14-24mm 2.8, 150-500mm f5 and Canon 24-105. Have a doubler that I rarely use. For night shots using Manfrotto quick release systems with L-brackets, and the Vello Plus wireless remote shutter releases. Like to experiment with shooting both camera simultaneously and also painting the foreground once in a while. Focusing at 1130 at night can be a challenge! Found if you pick a star in the viewfinder (especially in Live Mode) and focus until the white dot is as small as you can get it, that works well. Sometimes I'll tape the focus ring down so it doesn't move. 

Get out there a kill some pixels!  
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    Most photos have been of spectacular scenery and extraordinary locations, but what I had wanted to do this year was attend üCamp. Almost seems silly, but it was what I looked forward to the most. Seeing friends and acquaintances and meeting more soon to be friends. Here's hoping there is another üCamp in my future!

2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    @dragonsdofly No, certainly not silly.
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    @dragonsdofly
    No doubt many on here share that same feeling. Silly? Absolutely not! 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com