Spare Relocation to front of plastic tub on 320S

dnodno Member Posts: 42
edited June 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
Hi, new to the community with my just acquired 2019 320S. I've seen some posts about relocating the spare to the front of Boondock metal tubs, but have searched in vain for a way to mount the tire in this location with a standard plastic tub like I have, as per this picture I found. Anybody know how to do this? Thanks! 

Comments

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    dno said:
    Hi, new to the community with my just acquired 2019 320S. I've seen some posts about relocating the spare to the front of Boondock metal tubs, but have searched in vain for a way to do this on a standard plastic tub like I have, as per this picture I found. Anybody know how to do this? Thanks! 
    That photo is of a Dutchman built T@B. The frame is different from the current models. If you look at the bottom left of the tire you can just make out a piece of metal. At one point someone was selling a tire mount that you could attach to that frame. It was sort of a tripod shape. AFAIK it’s not available any more. I would not try to mount a tire directly to that tub. Maybe a Dutchman owner can chime in with alternatives.  
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • dnodno Member Posts: 42
    @Marceline, indeed, I never meant that it would attach to the tub, that would be a disaster, but yes, I see that attachment point on the frame. I suppose something like that could be fabbed, but I'd love to buy one if someone has a clue where it could be found.
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @dno Since you have a 2019, @dsfdogs did this mod to move her spare to the tongue, might work for you. Others have positioned the spare on the side of the tongue but I couldn’t find examples when I searched. https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6677/spare-tire-moved-to-tongue-detail-and-pics/p1
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• dnodno Member Posts: 42
    jgram2, that's brilliant, thank you!