Options

DM T@b - I installed Al-Ko shocks

TL;DR:  Yesterday, I completed the Al-Ko shock install on my 2006 DM T@b.  I ordered the shocks from TrailerTek in the UK.  This is a job I think anybody can perform as long as they have the necessary (but basic) tools and provided they can get down onto the ground, slide/shimmy under (and hopefully out-from-under) the T@b, and get back up again.  Once all the tools and parts are gathered, I estimate this job will take 30-45 minutes (or for those of you on the metric system, 30-45 minutes).  The purpose of this post is not really to provide a how-to, it's to convey that this is a simple enough job and is within reach of most people who would be interested in doing it.  Let me know any comments or questions!

Ordering:  For the DM T@b, you need the green Al-Ko shock absorber kit (sometimes called "octagon" shocks), including 4 metal brackets.  I got them for about $150 US, with shipping.  Because of COVID-19, they took a little extra time to deliver from the UK to Wisconsin (United States).  When they arrived, they were missing one of the 12M nylock nuts, which I was able to pick up at my local hardware store for $1.50.

Tools:  Socket/wrench in 19mm or 3/4 inch size; second wrench of same size or crescent wrench; flathead screw driver; pliers; swear jar.

My procedure:
  1. Using the built-in front jack/jockey wheel, crank the nose of the camper as high as you safely can.
  2. Slide under the camper in front of one of the wheels.  Using flathead screwdriver, pry the plastic/rubber rectangular cap from the bottom of the swing arm on which the wheel is mounted.   I had more success prying from the side of the cap toward the back of the camper.  Here's a close-up picture of the cap in the swing arm (Note:  Your swing arm may have fewer spider webs and dead bugs).

3. The metal brackets insert into the slot (created by removal of the plastic cap) as shown in the following photo, which I borrowed from the web. Note that the brackets will not, once inserted into the slot, lay flat against each other (see the red arrow in the fourth step below) until the bolt is fully tightened.

4. Then you pretty much bolt the shocks into the pre-existing hole (in the frame) and the newly installed bracket.  There are three holes to choose from in the frame; my understanding from random comments elsewhere (I couldn't find specific instructions for the T@b) is that the middle hole is the appropriate one.
  5. The upper bolt (in the frame) may be partially obstructed by another bolt on the backside, but I had just enough room for it to fit.  See picture below. 
  6. Repeat this process for the other wheel.
  7. Here are some additional resources I found helpful:  (a) Instructional video (not specific to the T@b); (b) What is the purpose of shocks?

Matt
Appleton, Wisconsin
2006 Dutchmen T@B ("Fuego")
TV: 2007 Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Options
    rlanouetterlanouette Member Posts: 1
    Thanks Matt. It seems like some pictures didn't upload. The 2 pictures before #3 and the 2 pictures after  #4.  Would you say the shock will reduce or slow down the compression of the suspension? 
  • Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    I found the shocks reduced bouncing - smoothing out the ride,  less items tossed around or jostled up inside the T@B.
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    This mod intrigues me, does nuCamp have an opinion on adding these?

The last forest service road I went up was quite bouncy and I found a lot of items moved in the trailer. I'd consider this if it reduces stress/strain on the trailer!
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    There are not any shock upgrades that I am aware of for the PV and nüCamp TaBs, as the Dutchman TaB has a Al-Ko frame and axle kit, which is a nice frame.  The newer TaBs use a Dexter Axles, which do not seem to have a shock option.  Their design is supposed to eliminate the need for shocks.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I've had my green shocks for 10+ years. Really nice investment.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    Anybody have experience with both the DM w/shocks and the new Dexter Axle (non-shock). Is there opinion on the similar "bouncyness".
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    HoBoHoBo Member Posts: 45
    Hi all! Resurrecting this post as I just installed one of the green octagon shocks to my 2005 DM. Thanks to the excellent instruction it seemed pretty straightforward but once on there It seems crooked. Is this normal? Should is sit at that slight angle? Also, theses shocks have the roller heads. Again, they are sitting torqued while in rest mode. Normal? 🤔 Here are some pics. 
    HB 2009 DM T@D@ being towed by 2021 Subaru Ascent Asheville, NC/Clayton, GA
  • Options
    dianolddianold Member Posts: 2
    HoBo.. i see that your post is from 2021 was wondering if you had any issues with your shocks since you installed them? 
  • Options
    I was VERY satisfied with them! I have since sold my T@b and gotten a T@DA but until that time I felt it made a difference. The install was as instructed. 
  • Options
    dianolddianold Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply.. think I am gonna order for my 2008.. you mentioned seemed crooked.. did it pose any issues?  Just wondering before I order them., thanks again! 
  • Options
    None whatsoever! It was either my visual perspective or that’s how they fit. I would definitely recommend. :)