Options

Victron smartsolar mppt battery settings

We just had NuCamp install a solar panel on the roof of our T@B 400. I'm playing with the MPPT controller, and I noticed that in settings, the factory battery setting was for gel. If I have the stock 6v agm batteries that came with the 2018 T@B 400, what should I change this battery setting to? There's one that says agm spiral, or something like that. Thanks for any info you can give this total novice! 

Comments

• Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    Let me tag onto my own post to try to sound more coherent. I really don't know what I'm talking about, but my new Victron Smartsolar MPPT 75/15 has settings for the battery. If I have the stock 2-6 volt agm batteries in my camper, what do I choose from the drop down list in battery settings? I'm not sure if the default is what I should be using. The good news is that things seem to be working. I just want to be sure it's set properly. 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,657
    The settings for "agm spiral" should work just fine.  Most of the battery "parameters" for charging the different types are very close to each other.  As far as a "spiral" AGM and a "flat plate" AGM the chemistries are identical.
    Victron has great equipment.  Lousy documentation.  They seem to think all their users are nuclear power plant engineers.  If you want to dig deep into your battery documentation, here is a Victron forum answer about your question.  The Victron forum person even says "having an AGM setting would be "helpful".  No kidding?

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    @pthomas745 thanks for your answer and the Victron link! The answer in the link seems to say that the preset for "gel" is what should be used for regular agm batteries. Gel is the factory preset, so I guess I'm good to go!