Options

Suitcase Solar Panel with trailer mounted controller

I like the concept of my trailer integrated panel but it is not versatile enough for our PNW's trees/clouds environment. I'd like to optimize the features of the Victron networking for solar power collecting. Has anybody had success with mounting a second Victron MPPT controller in the trailer and a remote solar suitcase (no controller)? The new controller should be close to the system as their Bluetooth transmitter is marginal and so may not work if left remote. The controller's networking should allow the two to optimize each's power collecting abilities to mitigate the site's limitations. These two in conjunction with the SmartShunt/temp accessory should be as effective as mother nature will allow.

For low light situations a better approach might be to enhance the converter to add to the down voltage control (from the array) the ability to increase the voltage to charge the battery. However the circuit cost may not justify the minimal power available.  Series or paralleling arrays is a cheaper way to help this but requires a similar solar view which is tough in the trees. 
Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
managed by VE Smart Network

Comments

• Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    @MarkAl i have both factory solar and external suitcases. My two smartsolar mppt victron controllers are inside the Tab. The controllers dont really coexist well on their own. However in 2020 Vicron came up with synch software so they talk to each other up to a max of 10 units. However they talk via a can bus. To establish this network you need a comms device also. The most common you will see used here on this forum is the BMV smart voltage/ current/ temp monitor. This also sends real time battery temp (option) current and voltage to the controllers so that they stay in the same charge mode. If you search Victron BMV on this forum, you will find many discussions and installation instructions for this device.
    Good luck. :-)
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    Victron has web articles about the "Victron Smart Networking" using the Bluetooth outputs from the SmartShunt and their MPPT controllers to integrate the battery charging. I agree the old wired system could do it with additional components but it was my understanding that the latest sw now integrates these with a local bluetooth network. Thanks for this information I will call Victron and see where I mis-understand this. 

Just returned from a 3 day dry-camp where I had the smartshunt running. Wow before I only could focus on the solar controller output and voltmeter readings of the battery. Having the shunt integrate power in and out of a fully charged battery was so much better at planning my energy usage. It's silly to have a solar charging system without a shunt and display. I also was amazed at how well even having a 4 or 5 hours of marginal morning indirect sun recharged my system. Went from an estimated 20 hours after a raining Sunday (of a remaining 30hr trip) to over 48 hrs making the rest of the trip much less of a worry. Still need a backup - too many shady / cloudy days here.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network