Options

Adding 12V outlet in dinette area of 2018 400

Michael49Michael49 Member Posts: 140
edited July 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades
I think this modification has been posted here before but thought I would share my experience.

I wanted to add a 12 V cigarette lighter style outlet near the front of the dinette in my 400 for a few reasons: 1. Especially in couch mode with the way I have my dinette area set up it is very difficult to access the USB outlets. 2. I definitely prefer the cigarette lighter style outlets as it allows you to replace a broken USB much easier and it allows you the ability to upgrade to new technology USB as it becomes available. I find that the USB outlets in the dinette area are very slow to charge devices, new USB Chargers are typically faster. You can also see in my picture that the USB charger I am using also measures amperage draw from whatever you have plugged into it which is nice. 3. I like to tinker with things :) 

I accessed the 12 V wiring under the dinette on the driver side. The 12 V wiring looks like speaker wire: I  Identified the 12V wiring by removing the 12 V outlet near the Sink.

I removed a small bit of insulation from the 12 V wiring, wrapped the wiring around this from my new 12 V outlet and soldered it, then wrapped with electrical tape.

Then I drilled a 1 1/8” hole through the dinette!!  Although I don’t always agree with the design decisions from the NuCamp I have to say everything always seems very high-quality, amazing how thick the wood is here.

Sorry these aren’t in order, couldn’t figure out how to change that....

Former T@B 400 owner, now thinking about a 320. 2019 Honda Ridgeline.

Comments