Options

Renogy Wanderer Solar Charge Controller vs BM-1 Battery Monitor: T@B 320MAX-S 2014/5

I have a 2014/5 T@B, which has a BM-1 battery monitor attached to the wall on the left of the sink.  I am in the process of figuring out adding a Renogy flexible solar panel.  I have a Renogy 10A Wanderer Solar Charge Controller which needs to be mounted.  I was considering replacing the battery monitor with the Wanderer Solar Controller.  Does this make sense; or is there a reason I would need both units? Should I leave the battery monitor alone and mount the Solar charge controller under the Alde unit?
2014 Little Guy T@B S Max

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,683
    How do you want to wire the controller from the battery?  It would be much easier to mount the controller in the tub next to the battery.  It will be easier to wire up to the battery, and a bit more efficient.  If you want the controller inside, then you must find a way to run the wiring from the tub into the area near the Alde. There is nothing wrong with leaving the battery monitor in place.  Can you explain a bit more about which monitor that is?
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    KarenKKarenK Member Posts: 50
    I want the controller inside, so I can see the settings and keep the unit dry.  Also, I am thinking the solar cables will run down the wall where the Alde control panel is, and wanted to tap into the cables from there.  I have the battery shut off inside as well. 

This is what the battery monitor looks like (nice, big printout). 

This is what the solar controller looks like:

• Options
    KarenKKarenK Member Posts: 50
    I'm thinking I should exchange the battery monitor for the solar charge controller and run the solar cables down the kitchen wall instead.  Then connect the 4 cables from the battery monitor and the 2 from the flexible solar panel by placing the cable entry gland on the roof directly up from the battery monitor area.  Does that make sense to do it like that?  
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,683
    edited July 2020
    I can't find much about the battery monitor at all. It is a shunt type monitor?  Or is it just a voltage meter?  Sounds like you have a good handle on how you want to mount things.  The Renogy controller will have a voltage readout of the battery, and that will be pretty much it.  Renogy has a bluetooth "dongle" that will do more for you, giving you voltage of the battery and the solar status.  You would just plug in this module ( as long as it is compatible with the controller). You would read your battery status from your phone app.
    A Victron controller is another option.  They have built in bluetooth capabilities,showing you info about your battery voltage and your incoming solar wattage.    The Victron controller can be accessed from a bluetooth phone using the Victron app.  There would be no need to mount a monitor.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi