Wheel lock help for my 2021 320 Boondock. PLEASE!

I'm busily getting my brand new 320 Boondock ready for our maiden voyage next week. You're all correct. It's going to be a forever work in progress. But so far, mostly because of what I've learned here,  it's all coming together nicely. I think Amazon Prime loves my purchases; but not my returns. I fear I'll get banned shortly.
But now, I'm trying to navigate the wheel lock jungle and am totally lost. Any advice and suggestions would welcome.
2021 320 S Boondock
Subaru Outback XT and Honda Passport
Des Moines, IOWA!

Comments

• TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    I bought these   Mophorn 2pcs Wheel Lock Clamp Boot Tire Claw Heavy-duty Anti Theft Parking Boot Car Tire Claw Parking Boot Lock (2 pc)
    Mophorn from Amazon. 

They are made pretty good. They cover the wheels completely so you can't get to the lug nuts.   Someone had posted a video of them getting broken into, but I don't think there is a single brand out there that is 100% secure, especially if you are boondocking by yourself and away from the site for a lengthy time.  Anything that slows a thief up is a deterrent.  Wheel locks along with a hitch lock and maybe a chain thru the wheels may be enough to send a thief to an easier mark...
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • mrdeepfryguymrdeepfryguy Member Posts: 73
    @andyboy I bought the TriMax TCL65, recommended by the dealer. Goes on easily and seems secure.https://www.amazon.com/Trimax-TCL65-Wheel-Chock-Lock/dp/B0031XULF2
    2021 320 S Boondock / 2018 Toyota 4Runner / NE Ohio
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    I got the same TriMax, lock and chock in one.  However, you need lug nut locks to go with it.
    cherrs
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    @andyboy, while we don't have a boondock, we do have a 320. We have a Brahma Lock wheellock. There has been some discussion about the Brahma not fitting the Boondock tires, but others say it does. The Trimax and other claw locks are defeated in 5 seconds or less or the trailer is just dragged until the claw breaks off in a hundred feet or even less. Brahma Lock says there has never been a theft of any type trailer with a Brahma Lock on the wheel. They are pricey, but worth the investment to protect my t@b.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Agree with @dragonsdofly. I have a 400 Boondock and the Brahama works, at first it was a bit of a puzzler, BUT after some experience I can put it on and off very easily. This is a heavy lock and storage is in camper on floor during transit. Best put on sitting our your outdoor mat, if you can't get on ground and heft a moderate weight it might not be for you. I have so much faith in this lock I just use a simple locking pin on the hitch instead of one of the massive coupler locks. As long as the wheels can turn a coupler lock is about useless no matter how massive.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    I went with both, the Proven Insustry tongue/chain lock and a wheel lock, a thief is going to have to work hard to get our trailer.  My theory is to make it less inviting and hard to get.
    cheers
  • incidentalmusicincidentalmusic Member Posts: 16
    @andyboy, while we don't have a boondock, we do have a 320. We have a Brahma Lock wheellock. There has been some discussion about the Brahma not fitting the Boondock tires, but others say it does. The Trimax and other claw locks are defeated in 5 seconds or less or the trailer is just dragged until the claw breaks off in a hundred feet or even less. Brahma Lock says there has never been a theft of any type trailer with a Brahma Lock on the wheel. They are pricey, but worth the investment to protect my t@b.
    Dragons, 

Really wanted to buy the Brahmas! Unfortunately, I just got an email back from Luiza, their rep, and she said she would not feel comfortable sending me their lock based on the Boondock 320 clearances. At 1 1/8" fender to tire and under 1" from sidewall to trailer body. I'm super jealous that they fit your t@b!  Although at $300 and 35 lbs each, seem to be quite the hit to the wallet. Maybe I'll juice up our insurance policy instead. 😅
    I think they got burnt by a few returns due to being a bit if a puzzle for folks to figure out. The lock is tight, but for sure works on the 2019 400 BDL tire and wheel I have. I don't know that any clearances have changed, so it probably works but if you insist on purchasing, they may not take a return if not?
    edited August 2020
    @incidentalmusic, yes the Brahma Lock fits my 2017 Sofitel. It is a 320 S unit if you are not familiar with this model. It actually fits better on the driver's side wheel, but this was an early attempt. By experimenting, we discovered the better fit on the opposite side. But, it does take a little "noodjing" to make it work. Still very worth the expense AND the effort.

Proof.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
  • elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    I’m in the TriMax and good insurance camp :)  Nothing will stop a determined thief, but I hope a little visual deterrent may make someone decide there’d be an easier trailer in the campground to steal.  And the chock-lock feature is actually useful.
    2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota
  • andyboyandyboy Member Posts: 120
    I'm in the same camp. But lots of good advice here. So many options. It's the same situation I have as a Jeep owner. Now I've got it twice as bad. Or good....
    2021 320 S Boondock
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • incidentalmusicincidentalmusic Member Posts: 16
    Maybe I will upgrade down the road is in order. What tire size is the Sofitel? I have 235/75/15, I wonder if that effects clearances. I will definitely ask about returns when I reach out again. For now I went with the TriMax.
  • MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 458
    Good discussion, I'm in the same situation, I want a wheel lock but unimpressed with any but the Brahma and I'm not excited to deal with the large / heavy structure. So after reviewing the Internet I looked into a sturdy lock and  chain (through he wheel spokes and around the axel). At least one video showed how even a grinder had big issues getting through specific chain / lock combinations. I've not seen any discussion on this anti-theft concept. I'm thinking at the most this is an under $200 investment and easier to store and attach...
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My brother used an electric grinder to cut through the heavy chains on my boat trailer and it was not a quick, nor quiet job.  New blade, too. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Any thoughts on how in comparison it would have cut through one arm of the above devices?
  • andyboyandyboy Member Posts: 120
    edited September 2020
    It’s kind of a hard choice as to which wheel lock to get—-and then I figured having one is better than not having one while trying  to make up my mind. 
    Seems as though the Trimax and the Brahma  get the most votes. A lot of pros and cons for each. I opted for the Trimax for the ease of use, weight/size and price. Purting the savings into a better trailer lock.
    Will the Trimax prevent my 320 Boondock from being stolen? Hope so. Best choice? Hope so. Will I go through this agonizing decision again? Hope not, at least not any time soon. And will I sleep better at night with Trimax? Absolutely.
    Thanks to all for you help.
    2021 320 S Boondock
    Des Moines, IOWA!
  • jonnjonn Member Posts: 31
    BRAHMA tells me that the clearances needed are: 
    1. Ensure you have a minimum of 1.25” clearance between the rear sidewall of the tire and the trailer body.
    2. Ensure you have a minimum of 1.5” clearance between the tire and the fender. 
    I am taking possession of a 2021 TAB 320 S BOONDOCK in a couple of weeks.
    Does anyone know of the 
    2021 TAB 320 S BOONDOCK tire clearances?

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    One thing to consider about the discussion that always pop up around locks being deleted, the goal of the lock is to limit opportunity. Any lock can be defeated. Most T@b thefts happen when the T@b is being stored and not at a campground.Yes, lock your T@b when you camp, but as @Verna pointed out, defeating a lock will most likely be loud and obvious and take tools and skill. 

I use the Trimax wheel lock, a coupler lock, and good insurance.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Since I was interested in the Brahma and have the 2021 BD 320 I went out and measured. There's 2.5 in fender to sidewall (outside), but less than 1 in sidewall to the trailer body (wheel well) at the top. Since that is where the verticle arm goes. I don't think it'll work
  • TNFlyrodderTNFlyrodder Member Posts: 4
    How often are T@bs stolen? I have insurance and use a lock on the coupler, but have not felt I needed to get wheel locks. I've had an Airstream for 15 years, and have never heard of one being stolen. Is this because the T@bs are smaller? I guess I'm also asking, is this a real problem??
    edited September 2020
    Only from some unattended storage facilities that are easy targets.  I have only heard of one TaB320 being stolen whilst it was being used in a rural camp site, boondocking.  The owner went out hiking and came back to find the trailer gone.
    Her insurance covered most of the loss.  I have not heard of any trailers being stolen from an RV park, too many people paying attention to what is going on.
    That said, depends on where you leave your trailer unattended and for how long.

Someone abounded a pop up tent trailer on a rural highway, and it remained there for several weeks, nobody took it, finally the CalTrans had it towed away.
    cheers
  • cyoungcyoung Member Posts: 54
    I use a Pewag chain wrapped my tire and axle. I place the lock behind the wheel up close to the axle. This would be extremely difficult to pick as you would be laying on your back with very little room to work with. I also use this chain to lock my generator to my rig when charging my batteries.   

https://www.uscargocontrol.com/1-2-x-4-Pewag-Security-Chain-Kit-w-Viro-Lock
    2021 320 BOONDOCK, 2017 F150 2.7 ECOBOOST
    @cyoung Finally someone who uses a chain / lock! I've been wondering how long of chain, lock type and hardness. Amazon has this and it's been on my list for awhile. I was thinking of the 3' vulcan 3/8" and Viro lock but wasn't sure for length and if thickness would fit okay over the wheel/axel. Suggestions, you have the 4 foot but prefer shortest that would work and I have no clue what chain would be better.
    Question asked earlier was "how often are t@bs stolen". The answer is often enough to have several thefts detailed here on this forum. It only has to be one, if that one is yours............
  • ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Since we have moved to the boondock am upgrading to the trimax 75.. our 65 is being used on the boat trailer now...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • cyoungcyoung Member Posts: 54
    4' is the shortest length you would want, you may be able to cut a few inches off.
    My Pewag is 1/2" diameter chain and you would not want to go any bigger or it would not pass through the wheel. 

2021 320 BOONDOCK, 2017 F150 2.7 ECOBOOST
    @MarkAl I have the Brahma lock and it fits a 2019 400 Boondock. I believe the 320 uses same Rainier Apex tires? It is a pretty tight fit and at first I didn't think it would work, after learning the puzzle tricks it is pretty easy. It is big and heavy, I store it on an old blanket on the floor just inside the door, last thing in, first thing out deal.
    The 400 is wider overall and probably uses a different axle so the clearances are probably different. I don't think I'd buy the lock with these unknowns unless I was fine having to send it back. Also through the above discussions I've decided to go w/ the chain and lock. I may regret the groveling I'll need to do to thread the chain but it'll be easier to store and probably as difficult to remove as the Brahma to a thief. Besides in some ways I like marching to a different drummer. Thanks for the update this is how everybody learns!
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    ontheroad said:
    Since we have moved to the boondock am upgrading to the trimax 75.. our 65 is being used on the boat trailer now...
    As an FYI, the 65 will work. I think if I were buying new, I would try to get a 75, though.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @jkjenn..Frank tried the 65.. he felt like he was struggling with it... it's a tight fit..gotta make the hubby happy 😁
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada