Options

Solar power

My wife and I have been discussing solar panels as our next "splurge" for our T@bby.  We are interested in being able to camp without needing to plug in, but as newbies to this area I'd appreciate some advice:
1.  How much solar power is needed?  We live in the South, so we do use our AC at times during the Summer.  How much is "enough" based on your experience?
2.  What battery setup do you use?  I've seen a variety of multi-battery setups in use, but what is right for the t@b?  What type of batteries do you use?
3.  While Zamp is preset on the T@bby, there are a lot of other options out there (like the flexible renogy).  Does anyone have good/bad experiences they could share with different models?
4.  What have we not thought about?  As I said, we are newbies to the solar area, and have only been in the t@b family for a year :)

Thanks for for your help!
2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 

Comments

• Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    There are some pretty savvy solar folks on the forum, I'm not one.  I do know that your AC unit cannot be operated unless connected to shore power or a large enough generator.  
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Machak, There is a major discussion a few pages back here on the forum page, "Too Much Solar." Maybe you can find some answers there. If I were to invest in a solar system I would go with a 180 watt panel. But for now I just use two 12 volt deep cycle batteries.  
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    Thanks JandJ, what type of batteries do you have?  I see a lot people suggesting the glass/gel as opposed to acid....   I'm still trying to figure out the best way to mount an added battery in mine.
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    As Rad says, don't plan on using your AC on a solar power system you carry in your T@b, although there are some big rigs that do so.

I've got the 100watt Renogy flexible panel with an MPPT controller (about $350 for panel, controller, wire, connectors). I got the MPPT controller because I figured it needed to be as efficient as possible in our rainy, shady south - I'm in north Georgia. I've also got the 2-way (electric only) refrigerator. In my limited experience, if I get about 6 hours of direct sun per day on the panel, I can run the refrigerator about 12 hours a day, along with limited use of "other stuff" - some fan, some lights, water pump. I camped for 4 days/3 nights where I only got about 4 hours of direct sun on the panel, and my 12 hours of refrigerator use depleted the battery so that it was down to 12.2V by the end of the 3rd day. The positive side of that story was that I was able to use the refrigerator for 3 days on solar power.

The 12 hours on / 12 hours off plan for the refrigerator seemed to work. I'd turn it off in the evening, remove the frozen water bottles from the freezer and put them in the main compartment. The next morning I'd turn the refrigerator back on and put the water bottles back in the freezer. Everything stayed cold.

Without the refrigerator, I don't think I'd have a problem with "normal" light use of electric accessories with 6 hours a day of direct sun. I also got some charge when the sun went behind the trees, and on overcast days...

- gcw

gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I have the 120 Zamp with just a 24 battery and as long as I have even bright overcast I can get recharged, run the fridge (propane but fan still uses juice) lights, Alde heat as needed. During the height of the day I can charge my gear on an inverter. Can charge my iPhone and iPad overnight.
    I also have a 2000 watt generator for the rainy days or when I have needed to turn on the air.
    Couldn't be happier with how it all works. If I was buying today, I'd probably get the Zamp 180.
    I went Zamp because it was plug-n-play - I didn't want to mess around and learn more than I'd ever want to know about solar to put something independent together :-)
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    Machak, I just have 2 lead/acid batteries, different brands, different ages, so I use one at a time so one doesn't drain the other. I don't know how well they will work, yet. We don't plan on doing any dry camping until September. Did you look to see what Dennis did? Look up "LUND BOX", that would give you room for two batteries. I mounted a smaller box on my T@B just big enough for the two batteries and a 4.25lb propane tank. We just have the stove in ours, and a 2-way fridge, so the smaller tank should last a long time.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    2 agm 100A batteries (12V) with 136 watts solar permanent solar and another  (68 can be added to the system if I need it).  Mine are unisolar (cheap when I got them a couple of years ago) mounted permanently.  I went with AGM because I wanted to move them into the vehicle - still need veining but safer).  Didn't want that much weight on the tongue.  

Biggest 12v hog for me is the refrigerator (though fan can be demanding as well).  Probably should swap out the fan for something more efficient (I have an '06 -- the fan was not terribly efficient).   

My setup works fine if you are boon docking a lot and don't need Air.  I done spring, summer and fall stints around the county and my system has performed well.  However, I don't have a television or air conditioning installed, so my needs are simple.

MPPT controller for the system.  

Panels:  I've seen good comments on both zamp and renogy panels.  Most don't do permanent install, but I like not having to deal setting up, storing so I just installed permanently.  

If you need air conditioning, I think I'd opt for a generator that would give you double duty with air conditioning and toping off the battery from the generator.  Not sure the benefit of the solar would be cost effective at that point.  

I don't really like generators but I also don't have heavy loads, so it's easier for me to travel without one.  

• Options
    Mash2 - I consider my solar panels my primary source and the generator secondary. The solar's lighter and easier to set up and doesn't require gas. If you're relying primarily on the generator you'll need to carry a lot more fuel than I do. The Honda 2000i (on light load) will get 6-8hrs on a gallon.
  • Options
    It really depends to what degree that you want to use air...  I know in your case, it seems to be an occasional air conditioning.  I didn't mean to imply that everyone should use one or the other... it really depends on how much someone willing be using 110 vs. 12v.  If there is a big need for 110, then the wisdom of solar should be considered carefully.  As I said, I don't use 110 in the t@b at all... hence no generator.  It makes sense to think of the amount 110 is needed (in a boon docking situation).  If it is frequent, think about whether the additional gain is worth it.  I've followed your travels in the past half year and understand that your primary power is solar.  

My comment was more general in nature.  I do know that if I used a generator, I'd charge up the T@B batteries anytime it was on (if nothing else to maximize the value I got from the fuel consumption).  I think you know I'm a big advocate of solar... I'm just not sure it is for everyone.
  • Options
    Mash3 - You're right, depends on your 110v use. If a lot, you're only real choice is shore power or generator. Especially if your 110 devices draw a load. An inverter works fine for light duty but not at all for appliances and such.
  • Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    Do you have a battery monitor added into your system?  I keep seeing people mention how much their battery is holding, but is that kind of monitoring something that comes as part of the controller of the solar setup?
  • Options
    My monitor is just a cheap little thing tha plugs into the cigarette lighter - doesn't come with the T@B, bought mine in an RV/camper store.
  • Options
    I have an MPPT controller that reports the information.  Used to have the cheap little thing that plugs into the cigarette lighter.  They work fine.  
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Machak88 said:
    My wife and I have been discussing solar panels as our next "splurge" for our T@bby.  We are interested in being able to camp without needing to plug in, but as newbies to this area I'd appreciate some advice:
    1.  How much solar power is needed?  We live in the South, so we do use our AC at times during the Summer.  How much is "enough" based on your experience?
    2.  What battery setup do you use?  I've seen a variety of multi-battery setups in use, but what is right for the t@b?  What type of batteries do you use?
    3.  While Zamp is preset on the T@bby, there are a lot of other options out there (like the flexible renogy).  Does anyone have good/bad experiences they could share with different models?
    4.  What have we not thought about?  As I said, we are newbies to the solar area, and have only been in the t@b family for a year :)

Thanks for for your help!
    Some great advice above!

Solar power and use of a panel, coupled with your power usage in the trailer will be a balancing act of sorts via conserving energy, unplugging the refrigerator if necessary for short duration, being aware of actual needs, etc. and it all takes time.  You will certainly figure things out and it is also a good idea to monitor your battery voltage level (with an inexpensive 12 volt LED meter) and ensure that you never allow it to drop much below 12 volts (or 50%) or you could damage the battery over time via a process called sulfation.  

If your battery is moved inside the trailer you'll want to use a sealed AGM unit as the wet cell batteries give off a gas and need to be vented.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    in2mtnsin2mtns Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for all the great comments and advice!  We are seriously considering going with a 100-150 watt system to run lights and a small 12V fridge. (Maybe using the 12 on/12 off routine that USWildflowers suggests).  There's more boondocking in our future and here in the west we have lots of sun.

I'm curious what MPPT controller people suggest and where a good place to mount it might be to keep cables to the battery (on the tongue) short.
    Rich, 2013 T@B, Front Range, Colorado
  • Options
    I got an Epsolar 2215RN.  Works well so far (it's a few months old).  Separate reporting module can be mounted most anywhere, and I mounted the controller on wall in front of electrical department ( over driver side wheel well).  Price was good for the features.
  • Options
    EPSolar Tracer1210RN. If you think you may want to add an additional panel, go with one that can handle more than 10 amps. 

• Options
    keithpkeithp Member Posts: 31
    I bought the same epsolar controller (1210RN) and it seems to work great, but I haven't mounted it anywhere. Anyone have suggestions on where I might manage that?

I was thinking that sticking it under the driver side seat along with my surge protector and other electrical panels might be easy to manage. Hooking in to the battery would be easy there, and I could run some wire up to the existing Zamp connector to hook up the solar panel.
  • Options
    I don't have mine permanently installed, but if I do I was thinking on the inside of the front bulkhead in the cabinet under the sink so there would be a short run to the battery. I've got the 5-gal water tank in there; there is room behind the tank, but not sure I'd want visibility / access to be that difficult, so probably just under the middle shelf.