Options

Please explain how the new small car jump starter work

The discussion title says it all. Can these things be used as a back up power source in any way.
  1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited July 2020
    I have one (jump starter and 18Ah power source), and my only complaint is it has to see a 0.6A draw in 12V power source mode (or something like that) to stay on, otherwise it turns itself off.  If you're in the market, you might look to make sure the unit you get doesn't have that auto-off feature.

The one I have with that issue...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075K42Z1M
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Dalehelman I can’t believe how many vehicles I have jumped with mine. More than I ever jumped with my heavy duty jump cable Mother and Daddy gave me for Christmas decades ago!  I’ve also used it to charge my phone when I was without a charger. 

I’ve used it to check a used trolling motor to make sure it worked before I bought it. I used it to jump start a John Deere battery for a week or so before I got a replacement battery for it. 

That’s about all. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,452
    I don't know much about them, but I suspect they are more like a starting battery as opposed to a deep-cycle. That is, they are designed to provide a short burst of high power as opposed to a trickle of power over time.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    edited July 2020
    I don't know exactly how it works (suspect that @ScottG is on the right track) but I've used mine to start at least 3 vehicles (none of them mine) and I've used it to power a iPad and mobile hotspot for a 2 hour Zoom meeting. Really glad that I have it. I bought mine at Costco a few years ago (like this but an older model: https://www.costco.com/type-s-lithium-jump-starter-portable-power-bank-with-led-flashlight.product.100425276.html)
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I have had one for years. Works great. I am just wondering if it has any use for dry camping other than the USB ports. @DougH your information was helpful. I am not sure if mine switch’s of or not till I do some testing.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 591
    @Verna which jump starter do you have? Thanks!
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    Our trail head / tow vehicle has one as the only option, like the others I've used it for phone charging and starting many more people than I've ever done w/ my jumper cables (now cable is relegated to my day job car). My wife and kids also have them thanks to Christmas and other excuses. I've found whatever brand Costco sells will be acceptable. As an engineer who has bid equipment for them they have high standards and beat you down hard on price.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network