Options

Fixing the poor radio reception

rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 490
We have a 2020 TAB400 with the Jensen JWM70A radio.  I've noticed that the radio is not very good at pulling in weak stations and I sought to improve that deficiency.  My first stab at fixing this was to substitute a longer antenna for the supplied one when camping.
Sometimes this seemed to work better and sometimes not.
It did seem to work better at night, but I wasn't sure why.
Then, one day, I happened to disconnect the solar panels while using the long antenna and suddenly everything was much improved: Really weak stations were coming in pretty much static free.
I'm using the Victron MPPT 100|30 solar controller which is located next to the ALDE equipment right below the radio.  I've tried adding ferrite rings to the cables entering and exiting the controller, but that didn't make any difference.
Has anyone else noticed this interference?  I don't know if I have a defective Victron product, defective ferrites, or if I've chosen a bad location for the solar controller.  Any other experiences welcome!
P.S. You can turn the Victron controllers on and off using the bluetooth app: look under settings - battery. 
Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA

Comments

• Options
    FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    Not sure if there are many changes in the current Jensen versus the Jensen AWM968 in our 2015 T@B SMAX or the voltage converter for the camper, but this has been a long term problem, especially for AM reception. Besides our Jensen having very poor RF noise rejection, the converter itself generates a lot of RF noise. 

There are many sources of noise in electrical devices these days as manufacturers use noise generating circuitry to minimize power consumption. Good examples are 110 volt LED light bulbs that have a printed circuit power unit in each one to lower the voltage from 110volts AC to the 12volts DC needed by the semiconductor LED's. These circuits use "chopper" techniques to lower voltages without generating heat and thus power. To achieve that these circuits generate RF noise! I have all LED bulbs in our house to save power, but can't get any AM reception inside, but if I go into my car in the driveway they all come in clear!

When camping try to park away from 110volt LED lights on buildings and turn off your converter if you can do without 12volts while on "shore" power. Or like us, just get a good portable AM radio to set on the picnic table at your campground!

See these posts for further discussion of our experience: 

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/3683/am-reception-on-the-jensen-awm968#latest

Good Luck!

Fergie

• Options
    grcgrc Member Posts: 10
    We have a 2018 Tab 320 Sofitel purchasing it used in April of this year.  Only one local radio station was strong and I looked to improve the reception of the Jensen JWM70A.

After trying some after-market antenna I purchased one from Germany with a booster that was made for Renault and Citroen cars.  A bit of bear to mount it but it's much improve especially if I bring the 
    antenna itself from being tight on the trailer body.  I also lined the area behind the JWM70A with tin foil as I noticed a 120v receptacle was in close proximity.  I also dissembled the pitiful antenna that came with it and found a lot of rust and corrosion internally.  Explained why I had such poor reception to start.  

Can't say I'm impressed with the JWM70A bluetooth capability to sync with my iPhone.

I also swapped out the stock speakers with an upgrade and it's 300% better to my ears. 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,682
    Just a quick search points to a big problem with radio frequency interference from solar controllers.    An interesting experiment would be to disconnect the solar controller to see if the bluetooth performance of the Jensen improves. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Interesting observations, @rh5555 & @Fergie.
    I also want to try @grc's tip about the aluminum foil around the Jensen.

I've tried several ways of upgrading reception, but my most recent antenna upgrade seems to be the best yet, using a Jensen amplified marine antenna.  See my writeup here..
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/127687#Comment_127687
    I still feel like there's no hope for AM radio, but maybe I just haven't learned the secret yet.  Also, mine hasn't really been tested yet with our solar system connected & running.  I also haven't noticed whether the converter or AC powered LEDs cause interference, but will test that next time.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    IslandJoIslandJo Member Posts: 60
    Using Bluetooth we connect our phone apps to the Jensen system & stream news, sports, Pandora, etc. 
    2018 T@B CS-S on an Outback axle 
    2017 Toyota Tacoma with tow package
    Pacific Northwest 
  • Options
    AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    I"ve had a few issues paring Bluetooth but have found that to start with you should "forget" the Jensen in your smart phone and forget your smart phone in the Jensen. Turn off Bluetooth on your phone, turn off the Jensern, then turn both back on. Clean slate.

Then, push and release the "Bluetooth"  button, then press and hold it to pair with your phone. Since doing this the Jensen has recognized my phone every time. 

Hope it works for you! 

2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop