Options

ISO Help re: BMW class III trailer hitch adjusting plate

BonalexanderBonalexander Member Posts: 26
edited August 2020 in Trailer & Towing
I recently bought a BMW X5 and had the BMW factory install of the class III hitch, but at its lowest setting the top of the ball hitch is too high for the t@b 320s to be stabilized and not cause sway.  By chance has anyone made an adjusting plate to be able to lower the ball hitch?  If so, do you have the measurements of the adjusting plate that you would be able to share?

adding @1bentbike for awareness

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    Could you provide some pictures of your hitch receiver and draw bar.

Are you saying the BMW Supplied 2-inch draw bar does not have the correct drop/rise
      Or
    Did BMW install/provide the Transport Adapter style draw bar.
    If the Transport Adapter was installed . . . isn't there a standard square draw bar receiver behind the Transport Adapter.  So can't you just purchase a correct drop/rise draw bar?

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    @MuttonChops it is the one pictured on the left.  The ball can either be attached to the holes at the top of the plate or the holes on the bottom of the plate.  It currently is set in the lower holes.  When measuring from the ground to the top of the ball is 18”.  From what I have learned the top of the ball needs to be 16” to be level for driving.  For this hitch I have not found another plate to drop the ball the 2”.  Was hoping someone else on this forum may have already solved this and could share their solution.
    thanks!
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited August 2020
    @Bonalexander ; Do you have a friend with a drill press and angle grinder?  It might be tempting to stick a quarter inch steel plate on there, with six holes, the bottom two to support a lowered ball position.  Steel plate is relatively cheap at any metal supply shop.

I searched around on the web and couldn't find any fabrication shop already selling such an animal.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,596
    @Bonalexander ;
    The bimmer_owners_forum has this comment:
    . . . Just FYI, you can get a BMW Rear Transport Class II 2" Square Receiver Tube for bike racks and towing up to 3500 pounds with different ball sizes. It replaces the removable piece shown in your pics. Tischer sells it for $250. . . .
    Reference Pictures

For your T@B 320 a 3,500# receiver will be OK maximum trailer GVW is 2,900.  If it were my tow vehicle I'd buy the square 2-inch receiver and then get a correct drop/rise draw bar.

For Reference, bimmer site:
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @DougH and @MuttonChops thanks to you both.  I appreciate your time and effort.  I am trying to go with Doug’s vision, but was hoping someone might already have the measurements.  My dad can make this for me, but I don’t have a lug nut to be able to remove the ball hitch to make a template.

I also have the class III hitch so as a backup I will be calling BMW to see if I am able to plug and play with the class II options for the ball hitch and receivers.  Was just hoping to not have to spend more money when I just spent so much getting the class III kit installed. Didn’t realize the height wouldn’t work out when all was said and done. *sigh*
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Let us know how it progresses.  The X5 is an excellent tow vehicle.  I'd be a bit nervous using anything labeled as class II, even for a 320. But that's because I was sorely disappointed by a BMW / Invisihitch class III that turned out to have sub-par design / welding.

• Options
    sptuckersptucker Member Posts: 42
    What year is your X5?  I’m curious because my 2019 X3 has the factory tow package and a Class III 2” receiver similar to the righthand photo in MuttonChops earlier post.  I assumed this was standard...  

2021 T@B 320S Boondock  |  2019 BMW X3 M40i
  • Options
    @DougH wow that’s the first I have heard of the invisihitch not working out for the BMW X5.  That was my original plan till I learned they are no longer.  So my second option was the Stealthhitch.  In the end I went with BMW based on getting a good price and having it be installed directly by BMW.  Should there be any issues I am hoping this gives me the best warranty for coverage.

@sptucker the photo on the right from earlier in the thread is actually a class II 2” hitch and receiver bar.  The X3 has a tow limit of 3500 which the Class II has the same 3500 pound tow limit.  The X5 (depending on year has a tow limit of 5000+ pounds and the Class III 2” ball hitch and receiver has a tongue weight of 600 pounds and tow limit of 6000 pounds (I won’t exceed the car limit of the 5XXX pounds).  My car is a 2017 X5 xDrive35i.  

Will circle back and let you all know how the story progresses and hopefully concludes.
  • Options
    GC3GC3 Member Posts: 20
    DougH said:
    Let us know how it progresses.  The X5 is an excellent tow vehicle.  I'd be a bit nervous using anything labeled as class II, even for a 320. But that's because I was sorely disappointed by a BMW / Invisihitch class III that turned out to have sub-par design / welding.

What happened with your Invisihitch? I have one aftermarket on my 2015 X3 without any issues so far. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020

• Options
    sptuckersptucker Member Posts: 42
    @Bonalexander  FYI, my 2019 X3 tow limit is 4400lb and the tongue limit is 440lb.  I believe this is Class III since Class II is limited to 3500lb and normally has the smaller 1 1/4" receiver...

2021 T@B 320S Boondock  |  2019 BMW X3 M40i
  • Options
    @sptucker oh wow they increased the limit.  I’ve always seen them rated at 3500 and you are correct, yours would qualify for the class III.
  • Options
    SchwompSchwomp Member Posts: 5
    @DougH wow that’s the first I have heard of the invisihitch not working out for the BMW X5.  That was my original plan till I learned they are no longer.  So my second option was the Stealthhitch.  In the end I went with BMW based on getting a good price and having it be installed directly by BMW.  Should there be any issues I am hoping this gives me the best warranty for coverage.

@sptucker the photo on the right from earlier in the thread is actually a class II 2” hitch and receiver bar.  The X3 has a tow limit of 3500 which the Class II has the same 3500 pound tow limit.  The X5 (depending on year has a tow limit of 5000+ pounds and the Class III 2” ball hitch and receiver has a tongue weight of 600 pounds and tow limit of 6000 pounds (I won’t exceed the car limit of the 5XXX pounds).  My car is a 2017 X5 xDrive35i.  

Will circle back and let you all know how the story progresses and hopefully concludes.
    @Bnalexander;  What hitch did you end up with?  I need to add an aftermarket to my 2019 X5
  • Options
    Schwomp said:

@Bnalexander;  What hitch did you end up with?  I need to add an aftermarket to my 2019 X5
    I ended up going with the BMW rear transportation class III ball and hitch receiver.  I learned from the thread above or potentially another thread on bimmerfest that each BMW location has different pricing.  So I was able to get it installed for $1600 and then even got a 10% discount off that as their website offered a coupon.  So I would definitely check out the BMW website and search all the locations around you to compare the pricing.  The labor fee is high at some decent at others and then low at others.  Without someone sharing that with me I would have ended up spending around $3k.  So am super grateful for these threads!  I have learned so much!!

my dad did have to add a plate to lower the ball. It was about an 1.5”-2” to high. I don’t have a pic on my phone, but will get one for you.  Also you can go with the BMW class II hitch, but I wanted the heavier duty one should I ever decide to upgrade to a bigger camper, but right now the t@b is perfect. :)