Options

Seeking camping recommendations - Twin Cities MN to Billings MT

twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
I may be taking a road trip from the Twin Cities to Billings MT around the July 4 weekend.  Could anyone that is familiar with that route recommend camp sites along the way?  My sister and I will likely only need one night and likely in North Dakota, but am open to suggestions.
Beth
Minnesota
Practicing to be a wanderer
2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Beth,

If you have an iPhone or similar smart phone look for the app "Allstays" as it will provide you with a plethora of information.

Will you be traveling I-90 west?
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I highly recommend Theodore Roosevelt National Park and then through Red Lodge MT and camp in one of the nice Forest Service Campgrounds at the top of the Beartooth Mountains. The Wildflowers should be beautiful in the mountains.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jkjenn - I don't know whether we will travel through ND or SD, but love the idea of TR National Park.  I drove that route in 2005 when I hauled my HD to ride the Beartooth with my dad and didn't have the chance to stop.
    Michigan_Mike - Thanks for the tip on the app!  I will definitely download it.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Allstays is good but Ultimate CG is better, includes more types of campsites.
  • Options
    You can also use Good Sams, even if not a member,

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    +1 for Theodore Roosevelt and the Beartooth.  Island lake in the BT.  Neither have power however.

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    jcfaber1 said:
    +1 for Theodore Roosevelt and the Beartooth.  Island lake in the BT.  Neither have power however.
    TR had bathrooms, but no showers if I remember correctly and potable water. I had a site right on the Little Missouri. It was so pleasant. It was also shady, which is nice in the summer.

• Options
    Looks like my route will be I-90 through South Dakota - Rapid City - to Montana.  I haven't yet checked out the Allstays or Ultimate-CG apps, yet, but will.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    don't forget that Wall Drug has free ice water  :)  Love the billboards - Only 500 miles to Wall Drug....
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    BBchBum said:
    don't forget that Wall Drug has free ice water  :)  Love the billboards - Only 500 miles to Wall Drug....

Daddy always told us Wall Drug was a tourist trap, but I stopped there in 2011.  I love that place!  So many unique items.  I did buy a very nice ring for me there, and my sister had me buy her some earrings.  Don't forget to buy some wooden nickels to give your friends and family ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I would consider takingm90 across instead of 90. I can't tell you how beautiful that drive is! I just loved the landscape. If you go that route, Theodore Roosevelt National Park is a great place to camp and then there are a number of places around Red Lodge, MT if you want to take the very scenic (highly recommended) route through the Beartooth Mountains. You could camp near Red Lodge, or in the mountains. There are plenty of NFS campgrounds there, as well as some dispersed camping along the Chief Joseph Highway.

• Options
    I do prefer the route through North Dakota, but I need to pick up my sister in Rapid City or Buffalo Wyoming.  I love the Red Lodge area and visit every time I am out that way.

Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    Jenn - What's "m90"? Or do you mean i94?
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - What's "m90"? Or do you mean i94?
    Yes, meant I 94. I was dreaming of Montana when I typed it. :)

• Options
    Thought maybe you had a secret alternate route :-)
  • Options
    If I did, I wouldn't tell. :)

• Options
    Well, I can understand why you may not spill the beans here cuz Rad may see it but you could message the rest of us. I mean, we're like family ;-)
  • Options
    BBchBum, Verna -
    My mother's family is from SoDak, so there have been plentiful opportunities to visit Wall Drug throughout my life.  I just don't think I need to do it, again.  :)  Ever visited the Mitchell Corn Palace??  :)
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    OK, now that this trip seems to be coming together, I looked at descriptions for Allstays and Ultimate Public CG iPhone apps.  It looks like Ultimate CG does not list commercial campgrounds, but Allstays does.  Does that seem accurate?  For $9.99 and $3.99, respectively, both may be ideal.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I rely on Allstays, but I now also have Ultimate CG.  I can see where both have good points. It's hard to give up my Allstays that I have used for 3 years.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    As far as I'm concerned, you need them both. I find UCG the most useful for the type of camping I do - I've never stayed in a KOA or commercial campgrounds yet - For instance, ALlstays doesn't list the campground I'm in or one of the ones anywhere around here other than a couple commercial ones. They don't even list the state parks. I do rely on Allstays to tell me where there are Walmarts, propane and the big truck stops though.
    Of course, I'm not exactly in a tourist area - It's mostly Cty, Mun, or St campgrounds. There are some commercial but they haven't been as nice as the others and Allstays doesn't even list them.
  • Options
    twocutes said:
    BBchBum, Verna -
    My mother's family is from SoDak, so there have been plentiful opportunities to visit Wall Drug throughout my life.  I just don't think I need to do it, again.  :)  Ever visited the Mitchell Corn Palace??  :)
    Beth - nope - never stopped.  Whenever I would travel I-90 I would stop to visit family friends in Sioux Falls. The next day I would be on the road and keep going until central Montana. Wall was a quick stop after doing a long cut through the Badlands. Worth the time?
  • Options
    Is the Mitchell Corn Palace worth the time?  It's a difficult question and depends upon your fondness for corn history, the area's history, and general love for small town Americana.  :)
    Beth
    Minnesota
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
  • Options
    The impression I got online was it was primarily an arena/venue for the towns events (sports, etc). If it has a exhibit on area history etc then definitely worth a stop - those places are always interesting.