Options

Bike Rack Options-TAB Outback

We recently bought a TAB Outback and want to install a bike rack. However, we are concerned that the steel platform at the front of the camper (which is unique to the Outback) will prevent us from using the rack that goes over the battery and gas tank enclosure (it is the rack that is advertised and for sale on Little Guy's website). Does anyone have any experience or suggestions to offer? We really want to take along our bikes on trips.

Another option might be - we use a Jeep Wrangler to pull the Outback. We were thinking about purchasing a Thule 2-bike rack that attaches to the spare tire in back. But we thought it might be a problem when making a tight turn or when backing up to have bikes on the back of the Jeep. To me, it looks like enough space between the vehicle and the camper but I'm not sure. 

Any and all insights are appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Just, received the bike rack for a regular T@B max-s.  I want to point out the directions are very sparse, with no indication of measurement of where to drill on the trailer frame.  I don't think it will work on the Outback with the platform.  Also, I am going to have to cut off and shorten the gray drain pipe, plus move the gray sewer hose connector back.  There are bottom support members that go below the frame of the trailer, which will not clear the gray drain pipe.  Not a big deal, but an unexpected project.

We originally pulled our T@B with a 14 2 dr Wrangler, but now pulling with a 15 4 dr Wrangler.  We plan to carry a trailer hitch bike rack, to insert when the trailer is not connected.

Check out Quadratec for different options for racks for your Wrangler.  I want to point out, don't put an extension on your hitch ball, as it will decrease your tongue weight capacity by 50%!!!

Hope this gives you some help.
    Jeff
  • Options
    JsdunnJsdunn Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318

This is the bike rack we use:

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Swagman/S64955.html

with this ball mount:

http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Hidden-Hitch/80233.html

Works great but it does not work with every bike frame.

John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Be aware of your tongue weight on your Jeep, if it is a newer 2 dr model, the weight is 200 lbs. Trailer weight 165 lbs minimum, bike rack 27 lbs, 2 bicycles 60 lbs, 252 lbs total.  Newer 4 dr model is 350 lbs, supposedly with load leveling hitch.  Just keep track and don't use a hitch extension, because your numbers are cut in half!

• Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    jdargis, I do not think the longer hitch that I have listed is a "hitch extension" but you make good points.  We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee so our tongue weight is 620 limit.

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL