dim brake/blinker taillight one side

SeaLaVieSeaLaVie Member Posts: 46
edited December 2020 in Battery/Electrical & Solar
I have a 2018 T@B 400. Recently I noticed that the passenger side tail light brake and flash are much dimmer than the drivers side. The running lights are fine, it's just the brake/flash that isn't right. I've checked the voltage right at the back of both lights and they are the same, at about 11V and ground is fine as well. Seems like it has to be the internal circuit board inside of the light itself. Anyone else ever see this?
TIA!

Edited subject line to help with searches. 
2018 T@B 400

Comments

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    My WAG is you are correct, inside of tail light has failed.
    At night or in dark shadows turn on your TV headlights, expect both passenger and driver side will be the same (normal).
    Now turn on TV flasher . . .
    will assume you now have the reported brightness problem on passenger side . . .
    Expect half of the LED positions are not turning on; Taillight internal failure.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • SeaLaVieSeaLaVie Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2020
    Photos below.
    I was able to pop the silver trim ring off of the light fixture, then removed the light fixture to get a closer look at it.

The Silver Ring has small tabs that clip on to 3 spots on the LED light fixture itself.

The ring attaches with three tabs. There was a tab approximately at the top and the other two were at the 1/3 points around the fixture. I just used a screwdriver with some thin plastic to keep protect the camper trim from being scratched up. Thankfully the trim popped off without breaking.

The fixture itself was attached by three screws into the camper body. It appears to be a sealed unit that cannot be opened. It's not the same as some of the other models that use a post mounted LED board.

As you can see in the photo I could not find any identifying marks for the tail light manufacturer, part number, etc.

I'll have to search around or go through a nucamp dealer. 

2018 T@B 400
  • SeaLaVieSeaLaVie Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2020
    Edit: Turns out this light set on Amazon is an exact match for the 2018 tab 400 tail lights. It was a perfect fit just had to splice the wires together and screw it back on. Was able to do it from the outside, no need to get in under the bed or anything complicated. The hardest part is popping off the Silver trim ring. It has three tabs holding it on and they are oriented with one of the tabs straight up at the top and the other two at 3rd points toward the bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/United-Pacific-Surface-Lights-Chrome/dp/B004NYKC70
    2018 T@B 400